602 5cyl 300d merc engine into SFA replacing original 4Y

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

602 5cyl 300d merc engine into SFA replacing original 4Y

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I am happy to state that the VERY LONG and very trying project concerning my son Wade's ( 4 th Geer ) Hilux rebuild and engine transplant into his SFA double cab is about 98 percent finished .

We have a few minor tasks involving the dual battery and the associated plugs and extras to complete before we can start posting pictures of the rebuild/respray and the engine transplant.Hopefully we can finish these tasks in the next week or two.

The SFA has been driveable since about two months ago but some minor issues regarding the radiator and other small issues had to first be rectified before the vehicle left my garage .

A larger radiator was fitted and a few universal joints were replaced on the driveshaft and the SFA has since been a daily runner for about a month now.

I will post the pics and story soon,with the help of Muddog.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 602 5cyl 300d merc engine into SFA replacing original 4Y

Post by Family_Dog »

This sounds to be a most interesting project...!

Pics-a-plenty are a definite requirement.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No problem Tony .... whenever you guys are ready.

Wade popped on to me a couple of weeks ago when he was in EL with the bakkie - running sweet. At that time he was having a problem with one of the pulleys chewing the belt (I think it was the power steering pump pulley?). The fabricated bracket was holding it out of line. We did a quick temporary repair by spacing it with some washers so that he could get home - one belt was chewed to buggery and he had managed to get another one locally on that Saturday morning.

We also need to organise another outing up your way and put it to the test. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Sounds very good. Would love to see the end result.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Can hardly wait. How did you go about getting the enjine onto fhe drive train.
FIRSTGEER
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit Helgaard.Yes we have completed the project and my son Wade (4 TH GEER on the forum) has been driving it as an everyday runner for about 6 weeks now and I am happy to say that the conversion is A SUCCESS.

We will be meeting with Muddog within the next few days for him to assist us with the loading of pics and for him to use his talent to edit our write-up of the project and then we will post i on the forum very shortly.
Thanks for your interrest.
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: King Williamstown
Vehicle: HILUX SFA

Post by 4thGeer »

I''ve had my 1994 SFA d/c 4x4 since 20008 have loved every moment driving it since fetching from from Franshoek in the Cape.

The engine had been tweaked by the previous owner and I was very happy with the performance and fuel consumption. The compression ratio had been increased on the pistons and the exhaust had also been modified.A modified camshaft was installed and the carb also had the jets altered for performance.

Then the government decided to make leaded petrol obsolete and my troubles then began.The engine never ran the same again on unleaded petrol and after a while I blew a head gasket.After numerous attempts to get the engine to perform as it did before, I decided to take the plunge and change over to diesel.

I looked at numerous options like the 2L ,3L and even the 5L Toyota engines and found the 2L and 3L to be underpowered and the only 5L engine, which was available, too expensive.

I also considered the KZTE engine but could not find a suitable available engine at the time.

Years ago,my dad owned a Merc 123 series powered by the 300d 5 cylinder diesel engine.The car was light on fuel and the engine was really bullet proof. My dad often said he wouldn't mind installing into his SFA,which he owned at the time.But time moved on and this idea was forgotten about until my present day situation.
I started looking around for a 5 cyl 300 diesel engine for my SFA.

I was very fortunate to find a suitable donor 602 engine in Stutterheim, with an already modified bell housing engineered by a local Stutterheim engineering business (Square Deal Engineering) to fit a Toyota gearbox.The quality of the aluminium welding and the matching of the Merc bell-housing to the Toyota's was of the highest standard.One has really has to give credit to this small rural town engineering shop delivering such amazing workmanship.

I was now rearing to get started with, what I thought was a fairly simple and quick conversion.
Little was I to know how wrong I was and how long it was to take.
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

My father (FIRSTGEER on the forum), older brother Brad (Thirdgeer on the forum) and I decided to tackle the project together.
Brad stripped the body down on the SFA.He removed the load bin and doors plus windscreens and dash and started to sand down and prepare the bodywork to enable him to completely respray the vehicle.

This task took about a year and a half to do, as all work was done by Brad alone in his spare time without any assistance. He spent many a weekend and late night on the project.
This was a trying time for him as he also has a family including three small sons who needed his constant attention. Thanks a ton, Brad!

These pics might not appear in the correct chronological order but you can make it out .......
DPP_39.JPG
DPP_54.JPG
DPP_55.JPG
DPP_56.JPG
DPP_57.JPG
DPP_65.JPG
DPP_73.JPG
DPP_74.JPG
DPP_75.JPG
(33.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DPP_76.JPG
DPP_77.JPG
DPP_78.JPG
DPP_79.JPG
DPP_80.JPG
DPP_81.JPG
DPP_83.JPG
I live on a farm about 15 kms outside of Stutterheim and work for a large sawmill. I had to travel about 50km to King Williams Town to my folk's home to work on my project. I tried to put every available weekend and at times, evenings, to help, plan and work on the project. This was also taxing on me and my newly wed wife Donne'.
I sometimes also had to work weekends and at times, had standby duties to perform.

In the mean time,my dad basically took charge of the conversion side of the project.
He spent what ever spare time he had,sometimes during working hours,measuring, planing and scratching around for bits and pieces needed for the project and putting things together. Thanks a whole lot, dad!

To be cont'd .......
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Hi to all the Geers.
I baught my SFA in Calvinia some 3 , or mabe 4 years ago. Origanally a 3 or 4Y , had a 2L2T engine fitted. I was so happy (I do not want to start a petrol v/s diesel thing again , but that is what I prefer.) Soon to be rudely awakened.
The engine was in pieces on the back and inside the vehicle. When I fetched it I did not see that the crankshaft was missing and also that the replacement was done by someone under a bluegum tree.
Then when I started losing hope of ever finding a cranck shaft my thaughs turned to the 5cyl 300D.
Does yours have the Bosch feul injector pump.
Some people recon that those engines can run on vetegable ( spelling? ) oil without any modification. I already had one lined up , when I found one almost by chance.
Do you use the Toyota flywheel and clutch?
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit Helgaard.We used the 602 flywheel with its pressure plate and used the toyota clutch plate.
I am certain that the injector pump is the original mechanically driven bosch without any fancy electronics .
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

The aqdapted bellhousing was bolted to the gearbox and then the engine was lowwered into the engine compartment,only to find that the sump's well was sitting directly above the front diff..
DPP_43.JPG
(33.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DPP_42.JPG
(30.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DPP_41.JPG
DPP_40.JPG

We then removed the engine from the engine bay.The sump (aluminium) was removed and we cut the lower half of the sump off.The lower sump section was then swopped around so that the well was at the back of the sump. The two sump sections were then sent back to Square Deal Engineering in Stutterheim for them to aluminium weld them back together..
The top face of the sump,where it is bolted to the engine, had to be surface ground flat again to overcome the warping which was caused by the welding.Our engineers once again proved they were up to the task.
DPP_34.JPG
DPP_35.JPG
DPP_45.JPG
DPP_48.JPG
DPP_49.JPG

Dad modified the oil pump pick for it to be correctly positioned inside the repositioned oil well.
DPP_47.JPG
DPP_51.JPG
DPP_53.JPG
DPP_58.JPG

To be cont'd .....
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

The engine was again fitted into the engine compartment and the engine mountings were measured and my dad made up the adapters, utilising all the original mounting holes on the engine and the chassis. The original Hilux engine mountings were utilised as we tried to keep as many standard components on the conversion as possible.
DPP_69.JPG
DPP_52.JPG
DPP_50.JPG
DPP_46.JPG
DPP_37.JPG
DPP_36.JPG

We used the Mercedes pressure plate matched to the Hilux clutch plate and also made use of the Hilux release bearing together with the Mercedes clutch fork. This trial and error arrangement was also trying but I was very happy with the end result.
DPP_59.JPG
DPP_71.JPG

To be cont'd ....
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

To carry on ....

The Hilux master cylinder had to also make way for a Corolla master cylinder as the piping to the slave was at the wrong angle and snared up with the engines tappet cover.We also tried various clutch slave cylinders to try and get the best match and eventually ended up using a Ford courier slave cylinder.

DPP_86.JPG

The alternator on the 602 engine is mounted to the bottom RHS of the engine. This was a real problem as the power steering box of the SFA is situated there.
The alternator was removed and new mountings were made up and the alternator was installed to the LHS top of the engine where the power steering pump is normally mounted.

This pump was also repositioned lower down on the LHS taking up the position of the discarded air-con pump.My dad managed to do all these alterations and adapters in such a way that the original fan belt could be used on the engine.

DPP_33.JPG
DPP_60.JPG
DPP_61.JPG
DPP_62.JPG
DPP_82.JPG
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

This is an excellent example of progressive engineering! Looking forward to more.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

Thanks, Uncle Eric.

The next problem was the top coolant pipe fitting on the engine which connects to the top of the radiator. This pipe faced straight forward towards the radiator without enough clearance for the rubber hose to the radiator. A new pipe fitting was made up and installed and exited vertical and then had a bend,facing forwards.This solved the problem.The fuel filter housing had to also be slightly jinxed to make space for this adapted pipe.

Next on the list was the power -steering reservoir and diesel filter/lift pump units which were installed to the LHS inner fender.The relevant piping for diesel and power steering fluids were also installed.

The original plastic air filter unit, which was attached onto the inlet manifold, was discarded and a new metal box without a filter was fabricated and installed to the inlet manifold - much like a plenum. This was then connected to the original Donaldson air filter. This filter was also modified to fit into a new position inside the engine bay. It's inlet and outlet pipes had to be repositioned as well as the mountings.
The Donaldson filter was then connected to the snorkel .

DPP_70.JPG
DPP_72.JPG
DPP_85.JPG
DPP_87.JPG
DPP_67.JPG
DPP_66.JPG
DPP_88.JPG
DPP_90.JPG
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

The original 4y radiator was installed and a BMW electrical fan was adapted to fit onto the front cradle panel ,behind the grill.This radiator was later replaced with a KZTE radiator as the 4y radiator was not up to the task.
DPP_44.JPG

At this stage, Brad had completed the bodywork to the shell and doors of the Hilux and he then sprayed the cab and the doors. He refitted the doors to the cab and re-assembled the widow mechanisms and trimmings.

The Hilux was then towed to the local upholsterers to install new roof lining and new floor mats and trimmings.The Hilux was then returned back to my dad's garage and we began to fit the seats and centre console and to re-assemble the dash.The hand brake was also modified to operate from the console between the seats as the original handbrake was touching the 602 engine on the firewall.A donor hand brake lever was scrounged from an old Landcruiser.

We then had to sort out a practical way to switch OFF the engine as the 602 utilises a vacuum on the injector pump to switch off.
Luckily the 602 engine has it's own vacuum pump on the engine.My dad ,after a lot of thought, used a 12v solenoid valve and a relay to achieve this. I simply switch the ignition off and tramp the brake and the engine dies automatically. Well done dad.

We also used this vacuum pump for the power brakes.

]
DPP_64.JPG
DPP_92.JPG
DPP_68.JPG
DPP_89.JPG
DPP_91.JPG
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

(I don't understand why .... a glitch in the forum software maybe .... but when i tried to rearrange the pics into order they all disappeared, so re-loaded and there are duplicates that I cannot remove.)

We then installed a bracket above the rear diff to accommodate the second battery. I doesn't interfere with the axle articulation.
DPP_104.JPG
A National Luna dual battery charging unit with remote controls and monitor was installed to the electrical.
IMG-20180812-WA0039.JPG
IMG_20180315_143443.JPG

Dad also installed the electrical to the engine bay and installed Hella plugs to the load bin (one on each side) as well as inside the back of the cab. A Brad Harrison plug was also installed behind the back seat area to connect the 12v fridge to.

IMG-20180812-WA0081.JPG
IMG-20180812-WA0082.JPG
IMG-20180812-WA0083.JPG
IMG-20180812-WA0085.JPG
IMG-20180812-WA0087.JPG
IMG-20180812-WA0079.JPG

The two way radio on it's fabricated brackets, was installed to the area above the sun visors and mirror with the battery monitor next to it.

To be cont'd ........
Attachments
DPP_19.JPG
DPP_17.JPG
DPP_16.JPG
DPP_18.JPG
DPP_106.JPG
DPP_105.JPG
DPP_103.JPG
DPP_111.JPG
DPP_109.JPG
DPP_107.JPG
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

Dad made up a new customised rear bumper, installing LED tail lights as well as a strong reversing work light, which is independently switched. Recovery as well as high lift jack points were also integrated into the bumper.
We had to wait for Brad to complete the load body spray job and to fit the load bin before we were able to measure and fit the bumper.

DPP_001.JPG
DPP_003.JPG
DPP_004.JPG
DPP_005.JPG
DPP_007.JPG
DPP_009.JPG
DPP_010.JPG
DPP_011.JPG
DPP_016.JPG
DPP_017.JPG
DPP_018.JPG
DPP_019.JPG
DPP_020.JPG
DPP_021.JPG
DPP_022.JPG
DPP_028.JPG
DPP_029.JPG
DPP_030.JPG
DPP_32.JPG
DPP_34.JPG
DPP_35.JPG
DPP_94.JPG
DPP_95.JPG
DPP_96.JPG
DPP_97.JPG
DPP_98.JPG
DPP_99.JPG
DPP_117.JPG
DPP_127.JPG
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

A complete Old Man Emu suspension was then installed to the Hilux. Dad fabricated a sump belly protection plate and this was also fitted.
DPP_131.JPG
DPP_132.JPG
DPP_139.JPG
DPP_151.JPG
DPP_154.JPG
DPP_156.JPG
DPP_158.JPG
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

The ARB bull-bar including the Warn winch and spot lights was also reinstalled to the Hilux and the relevant controls for the winch were mounted remotely to the inside of the engine compartment.
We also installed isolators inside the bonnet to be able to disconnect the winch and the extra battery should the need arise.

DPP_141.JPG
DPP_142.JPG
DPP_110.JPG
DPP_123.JPG
DPP_124.JPG
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

Myself and brother Brad busy in the engine bay.
DPP_84.JPG

And then some random pics that should have been fitted in somewhere along the line.
DPP_117.JPG
DPP_100.JPG
DPP_134.JPG
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

I've been driving the Hilux with the 602 engine conversion for about 7 weeks now and am VERY happy with the overall performance and the fuel consumption.
I was initially uncertain as to how the engine revs according to speed would be and I was prepared to change diff ratios if the need arose, but I am happy to say that the engine revs at about 2800 rpm at a speed of 120 km/h giving me between 8,5 and 9 km/l.
I compared the engine revs with an external tachometer and found it to be quite accurate.

There are still many things to still do to my Hilux such as fitting of rock sliders and making up sliders for my fridge and all the camping gadgets and rooftop tent etc but at least my Hilux is at home now (Stutterheim) and I don't have to travel the 50 km to dads house to work on it.

DPP_152.JPG
DPP_125.JPG
DPP_126.JPG
DPP_128.JPG
DPP_138.JPG
DPP_150.JPG

Oh, you might have noticed that we also fitted a mud flap in front of the rear wheels .... helps to keep the bakkie a bit cleaner on the gravel and muddy roads around Stutterheim as well as prevent chipping of the new paint job.

A VERY big thank you to my dad and Brad for their tremendous effort and long hours they sacrificed helping me with this project.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

A job well done guys! :thumbup:

I've been keeping abreast of this project from the word go and Wade has often sent me messages and pics of the progress, hold-ups and hiccups along the way. I think he was very patient with the drawn out nature of the project but he never lost his enthusiasm and was so excited to be driving the bakkie again that he and Donne' made a special effort to pass by me in East London about 3 weekends ago.

Unfortunately the pulley on the steering pump was slightly out of line and he chewed up a new serpentine belt on the way down from King Williams Town - luckily he still had the old original to get him safely to EL in time to make it to the spares shops to get another one before they closed (it was a Saturday). We spaced the fabricated pump bracket bolts on one end with a couple of washers in my driveway so as to bring the pulley into line. That did the trick to see him through until he was able to properly rectify it. Other than that small teething problem niggle I think that everything else is 100's without issues - a very successful conversion! Congrats guys, you have every reason to be proud! :thumbup:

Here are some pics that I took .... note the bash-plate in place and the RHS tail-gate decal.

DPP_10.JPG
DPP_11.JPG
DPP_12.JPG
DPP_13.JPG
DPP_14.JPG
DPP_15.JPG
DPP_20.JPG
DPP_21.JPG

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Looks amazing 4thGeer, love the 602D sticker and the rear wheel front flap idea.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Wow!! guys well done, keeping the momentum on the project. I am sure she will give you many years of good service.

One question, are my eyes deceiving me or did you use a Ssangyong tappet cover on your Mercedes engine. You know that means you will be cursed with oil leaks for the rest of eternity! :D: :D: :D:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The Ssangyong Musso in RSA was built locally at the EL Mercedes plant and powered with the Merc motor but with the Ssangyong logo on the tappet cover ..... it's still a Merc motor. ....( I hope.) :D:

pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Mud Dog wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 am The Ssangyong Musso in RSA was built locally at the EL Mercedes plant and powered with the Merc motor but with the Ssangyong logo on the tappet cover ..... it's still a Merc motor. ....( I hope.) :D:
I always thought it was a reproduction of the mercedes engine. It turns out I was wrong. That's pretty cool actually.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Luke I seem to also recall that the Musso had a sticker on it that said "Powered by Mercedes" .... could have been on the rear door or front fenders ... exactly where I don't remember. :winkx:

4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

Hi uncle Andy the sticker is on the top of the rear window ( POWERED BY MERCEDES BENZ).
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OK ... I knew I'd seen it somewhere on the vehicle. :winkx:

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Looks great Wade. Hope you have many trouble free km.
Glad everything worked out well and that you are happy with the conversion.
I spoke to a qualified Mercedes Diesel Mechanic in Namibia (Qualifications from Germany)and he maintains that this particular engine can run forever.
I told him about your conversion and he said that you only need to top up the oil as the years and km go by...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 4thGeer »

Thanks uncle edge I must still Pop past your place sometime and take you for a drive.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Congratulations on a fantastic job. That took a lot of dedication and hard work from your whole family.
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

What an amazing build!

Well done, you can all be proud!!!

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Well done.
It is true. Those engines can do one million km before breakfast. The metal used for all the components are for me the hardest , best quality , of all the manufacturers. Closest to them is Volkswagen , but not really as good.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks guys for the kind comments.I must say I am very proud to have tackled this long project with my sons.Was a great bonding and sometimes( VERY UNBONDING) experience. :thumbup:

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”