ground up restoration of my dc hilux :D:

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux

Re: ground up restoration of my dc hilux :D:

Post by michael01 »

hay just wondering what the end result looked liked?
ImageImageImageImage
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Jonathan what happened to the pics and the end result? We are on the edge of our seats.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

Well when I see that there is somebody as crazy as me I feel better ha ha my lux is getting the hart transplant at this moment and hoping to finish that job by monday. Up to now my rebuild cost is around 145 please don't tell my wife :( And if I do the wheels my total cost will be around 165. Good luck with your rebuild and hoe to see it soon. here is a pick of my hilux
Attachments
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Mine also cost about R145000 but I did not strip to that extent. I overhauled the diffs, Put long range tank, Full OME suspension, Diff lock, Warn winch, Bullbar relacement bumper, IPF lights, 7mge motor, gasflowed with branches, cometic head gasket and ARP head bolts, Custom aircon with 2 condensors under the vehicle with fans blowing through them, Canopy, 2 Aluminium roof racks, Dual battery system. And a few other things too. Definitely can't afford to sell her now since I will lose to much. She goes like hell and runs off the clock, so have no idea how fast I am going. But it is lighter on fuel now than the 22R I had in there.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

the long range tank is it the one under the spare wheel or an extra tank next to the original one. I am still looking for one i do have the one that fitts under the spare wheel but would like to get the other one. Do you know where can i get one?
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Quintin I have the tank under the spare wheel. if you want it next to the other then you must get another second hand tank from a scrapyard and mount it on the othersode and link the 2 tanks with a pipe. you will have to redirect your exhaust though. I have all my aircon condensors on that side so I cant go that route. I would like to find out if its possible to fit the 2.7's tank as it is a 85l tank.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

My LR is a single moulded tank that goes over the drive shaft an exhaust, no need to re-route anything. Holds about 130 lit. Not sure if and where they may be available as I bought the bakkie with it fitted. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

that is an idea, don't know if it will fit but if you find out please inform me as i would like to do that also, I must still do my exhaust so if I can fit the tank and then do the exhaust it will be nice. Why do you have your air con condensers under the body and not in front.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

:clap: Hi Andy that is what I am looking for anybody that can help with locating the supplier of those tanks. Please
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I actually doubt that you will find a supplier anymore, but they were in production, so you might be able to find a 2nd hand one somewhere ... even try the scrap yards. Here is a thread on long range tanks with pics of (Cobus) Bastiaan's double tanks, Eric's fabricated ss tank and my moulded tank for interest sake. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=4601&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Thanks for that I will keep a look out if anyone come across one please inform me.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Quintin wrote:that is an idea, don't know if it will fit but if you find out please inform me as i would like to do that also, I must still do my exhaust so if I can fit the tank and then do the exhaust it will be nice. Why do you have your air con condensers under the body and not in front.
There is no space up front as the straight six has no viscous fan. I have 2 electric fans with a 3 core radiator so no space for the condensor. I had Harracks custom build my aircon. cost R8000 but works very well and its colder than the factory unit.
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: jhb
Vehicle: 95 hilux

Post by jontheron »

hay guys sorry to keep you all i have started a new job which is taking up most of my time :cry: i know its no excuse for stopping work on my lux so im going to start again this weekend and il soon be updateing you guys on the progress and pics
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Yep no excuse but you did not stop the work on the Hilux. keep it up and we are all waiting for the end product.
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

ok guys im back for real this time i have a new modem and a running hulux :yahoo: and il be putting photos up in a few min
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

We're waiting! :twisted: :twisted: ;-)

jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

ok here is a pic of the shell ready to find her new home on the chassi [img]<a%20href="http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23 ... ucket"></a>[/img]

body on[img]<a%20href="http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23 ... ucket"></a>[/img]

there was also a long delay at the paint shop because of the request for snow camo after they told me they wouldnt be able to do it i chose a dark metalic grey here is the result [img]<a%20href="http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23 ... ucket"></a>[/img] [img]<a%20href="http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo23 ... ucket"></a>[/img]
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Ekt baie respek vir die manne wat die tyd en geduld het (en natuurlik finansies) om hierdie uitdaging aan te durf....
Lyk baie goed Johnou :thumbup:
Sent from my iPhone
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

once the car was road legal i decided to take her on a short trip and drove down to plet for the new years perioud and whilst in plet the rear diff (which was "refurbished" by an un named company ) had a malfunction after around 1500 km the carier bearing came undone and destroyed the outer bearings , pinion crown wheel and planetry gears total cost to much to mention what recourse do i have against this un named company to recoup my money Image
plet motor spaires and gearmax in george helped me out and came to my rescue
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done with the project, Jonathan! A lot more work than most of us would be prepared to tackle :shock: , but I see you're quite handy with body repair! :thumbup: :thumbup: Looked at you albums (including the cats and Jagermeister Mini :D: ). Sorry to hear about the diff problems though. :(

What product did you spray over the galvanised chassis?

Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Jonothan

Awesome work there M8, really looking good and something to be Proud of.

Please make sure you fit the best alarm ect... system possible to that beaut so you don't loose her.

More pics are welcome.

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

thanks for the awsome comments it is a great reword to finaly be able to drive my lux she is stil a long way from being finished but im glad she is running . now for the next thing on my lux interior and dash. has anyone put a dash in from a newer hilux or different car ? and has anyone ever put airbags in their sfa not that it is needed cus il drive over anything in my way :taunt: :tease:
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

wow cant beleave how time flies iv done some more tinkering on my lux and loads of playing here are some pics

jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”