Sifu-Lux's Project Dual Transfer Case

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Re: Sifu-Lux's Project Dual Transfer Case

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Got busy again at lunch time today and worked until 7 PM tonight (Andy, you can calculate the efficiency if you want :twisted: )

I stripped the transfer case and 4WD section right down to the indiviual components, sorted everthing into containers and then went and washed all the housings with engine cleaner to get rid of the old oil and road grime.
Stripping the 4wd section and transfer case.JPG
Transfer case stripped and sorted in containers.JPG
Transfer case housings washed and drying in the sun.JPG
With all the housings cleaner now, I then took the low range transfer casing and using a small angle grinder ground away some of the casing at the bottom and also some off the oil galleys to clear the bigger new 4.7:1 gearset.

I used a red permanent marker to colour in the inside then test fitted the gears to check where it caught on the housing. Quite an easy job.
Clearansing the transfer case housing to clear the bigger 4_7 gear.JPG
Checking for high spots with a red marker pen.JPG
Checking for high spots with a red marker pen.JPG (23.4 KiB) Viewed 7297 times
Test fitting the new 4_7 lr gear.JPG
Here is the housing after all the clearancing work was completed
Transfer case complete after grinding clearances.JPG
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I then stripped the rear main shaft to remove the old 2.28:1 main gear and replace it with the new 4.7:1 main output gear.
Fitting the new gear to the main output shaft.JPG
I then assembled the transfer case and installed the top shift conversion kit, which changes the forward shift transfer box to a top shift box (gear selector collars in the transfer box). This alows the fitment of the twin stick selector gear sticks. The rear box has to be top shift to work.
Re-assembling the transfer case with the new 4_7 to 1 gearset installed.JPG
Here you can see the selector rails with the shift collars in the transfer case
Top shift conversion done on transfer case.JPG
I then test fitted the twin sticks to check that the gear selection worked OK. No problems. Next I fitted the studs to the rear case, fitted the gasket and some Loctite Ultra Grey silicone and mated the rear transfer section to the front crawler box.
Rear transfer case assembled and studs installed.JPG
A word of warning here, which is not mentioned in the very detailed instructions: When mating the adaptor plate of the front crawler box to the rear transfer case, push the case onto the studs until about 5mm of the studs protrude through the adaptor plate. Then, place the washer, spring washer and nyloc nut onto the stud, then tap the two casings together turning the nut to take up the protruding thread of the stud as the housings are moved together. WHY?? because if you look at the picture below, you'll see that if you don't, the two nuts at the bottom will foul each other and there is no way you'll get the nut on with the casings mated together.
Beware the bottom nuts that foul each other when assembling the adaptor.JPG
Here is the whole dual case system assembled as far as I got tonight
Front crawler box mated to rear transfer case with adaptor.JPG
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool! .... Getting there! .... you'll be putting the seats back soon. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

mmm looks awsome dude your van is going to be a tractor when complete. I think you going to get alot jealious ppl here in PE.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Rapid city south dakota
Vehicle: 85 toyota

Post by missouriman »

I am very impressed with how nicely you lay every thing out.
nice job.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback :thumbup:

Tonight I got back in the garage and fitted the front and rear output flanges to the transfer case, as well as extending the 4WD switch wire with some silicone high temp wire and finishing it off with heatshrink.
My transfer case was painted at some stage in its previous life, so I took some time and touched it up so it all looked better on the eye 8 )
Dual transfer case assembled and 4wd switch wire extended.JPG
I also fitted the supplied new Trail Gear block off plate for the crawl box to replace the old factory pressed steel one. I suppose it will never be seen once installed, but i'll know it's there :roll:
Dual transfer case assembled and TG block off plate fitted to crawl box.JPG
I fitted a front output flange to the rear of the transfer case so I can fit the double cardan knuckle joint from my spare front propshaft at the rear as I will be deleting the center bearing.
Front output flange fitted to rear of transfer case output for double cardon joint.JPG
I also stripped, cleaned and regreased my low range gear lever which will be re-used on the crawler box. The grease (if it was grease :shock: ) was more like sandy cake mixture. 19 years of accumulated crap...

With the transfer box complete, I'll start on the mods to the cab floor next to make the hole for the twin sticks.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Looking awesome Andrew :thumbup: :clap:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: Hope to see this crawler in action somewhere down the line ... will make the trip to PE at some point when I can spare the time. :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

oh just a little bragging on my part.

I wrote the instructions for the twin stick install on trail gears site.

they then re wrote them and added pictures. I never did get any credit for it, not even a discount card.

mine, then theirs...

http://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/sho ... php?t=6438

http://www.trail-gear.com/pdf/107500-1-k.pdf
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hey Mark, life just isn't fair :wink: At least you've got the experience...

Here is the crawl box gear stick lever that I cleaned up yesterday to fit the modified shift rod. Just enough clearance for heat expansion :eh:
Cleaned up gear lever selector tip to fit modified shift rod.JPG
Tonight was floor pan cutting time. I took the measurements and found the twin sticks shift center point to be 235mm from the rear of the G52 gearbox.

Marked that out on the floorpan then took the metal support ring that comes with the twin gearstick boot to mark out the hole to be cut.
Drilled some holes for the access points for my jigsaw blade.
Marking out the hole for the twin stick gearlevers.JPG
Marking out the hole for the twin stick gearlevers.JPG (20.99 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
The support ring for the shift boot has an ID of 100mm, so that is the maximum you can cut the floor width wise. Hope that is enough clearance for movement of the transmission during use off road. We'll have to see :think:
I cut through the floor with the jigsaw, then filed the edges off and painted the exposed metal.
Cutting out the gearstick hole with a jigsaw.JPG
With that done, I drilled the four holes to be used to mount the rubber boot to the floor pan and used four fine thread self tapping screws to cut threads in the floor steel. I also applied foam rubber weatherstripping to the edge to seal against the rubber boot when installed.
Sealing foam rubber weatherstrip applied around edge.JPG
Sealing foam rubber weatherstrip applied around edge.JPG (23.95 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

that shifter should set down in the hole.
not just on it like the picture.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

missouriman wrote:that shifter should set down in the hole.
not just on it like the picture.
It does, I just put it like that for the picture, otherwise you see nothing :mrgreen:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

So last night I decided to install the dual transfer case setup back onto the transmission. All filled with enthusiasm I picked up the transfer cases and carried the setup to the Hilux (bloody heavy, must weight ~35kg now at least).
I put it down on the floor and then lay down beside it and tried to man handle it into position under the Hilux. After about 10 minutes of awkward positions and swearing I managed to get it up onto two blocks of wood. $&it this thing is heavy when you are lying on your side.
Dual transfer case man handled under Hilux.JPG
At this point I realised there was no way in hell I could lift this dual transfer case setup into position, line it up and slide it together on my own. :?

There was no-one to help me, and I figured out that even if there was, two people would battle in that space. Time for another plan :think:
After 20 minutes or so lying on the floor under the Hilux working through various mental scenarios I came up with this solution :thumbup:
Transfer case lifting jack system contraption.JPG
Transfer case lifting jack system contraption.JPG (21.51 KiB) Viewed 7205 times
I drilled a hole through my spare top shift block off plate, fitted an 8mm threaded rod through the hole, then drilled another hole in a piece of 8mm steel plate. I then bolted the top shift block off plate to the rear transfer case in position and placed the other 8mm steel plate over the hole I cut for the twin sticks. I then placed a a nut on the threaded rod, and hey presto, threaded rod vertical jack is born !! :clap:
Transfer case lifting jack system is use.JPG
Transfer case lifting jack system is use.JPG (24.13 KiB) Viewed 7205 times
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

This contraption worked really well and allowed me to lift the transfer case with ease on my own and into position (just a hell of a lot of nut turning though :lol: )
Raising the dual transfer case into position for installation.JPG
I replaced the oil seal on the transmission output end, greased the 21 spline transfer case splines and bolted the transfer case to the transmission. Took a while to get the top 2 bolts in as you have virtually no room to move the socket wrench.
Dual transfer cases installed to G52 gearbox on Hilux.JPG
I then removed the block off plate and threaded rod lifting assembly and bolted the twin stick shifters in place.
Twin stick gearlevers installed on rear transfer box in Hilux.JPG
So that was that at 11PM last night. I woke up this morning feeling a bit buggered from all the contortionism under the Hilux last night :lol:

Tomorrow I will contninue to connect all the plugs and the cross brace.
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

I have got to say I have never seen a transfer case lifted into place like that!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Me neither, Mark, but nice going Andrew! You made comment to me "Great minds think alike" earlier in this thread, and I find it strange that I was thinking along similar lines while reading of your battle to hoist the xfer case .... except that what was going through my mind was a strop around the case and up through the hole to a scissor jack. Would have been a lot quicker but perhaps not as stable or precise as your idea. :D:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

This afternoon I installed the two transfer case mountings, and then re-connected the speedo cable. This just makes it after the re-routing, not a centimeter to spare :o .
Dual transfer case mounts fitted.JPG
Next was the 4WD switch wiring which I had previously lengthened.
4WD switch wiring installed and connected.JPG
I then installed the new TG dual transfer case cross member. This went in really easily, I'm glad I bought it and didn't try to make my own.
New TG cross member fitted.JPG
I then filled the transfer cases with 80W90 GL5 gear oil, it took about 2 liters.
Since both propshafts were off I decided to do a test run. I started the engine and then put the Hilux in gear to run the boxes. Ran then both individually, and then combined. They ran really smoothly, with no strange noises, so that was a good sign :D:
I re-checked the oil level after a while and topped up about 200ml of oil.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

With the underside work done, I turned to the cab. Since all the seats and vinyl mats were out, I decided to replace the vinyl with carpets. I had some offcuts I had from the last carpeting of the house.

First I installed a layer of 10mm SVA 45 foam rubber from Sondor which I bought yesterday. This should help reduce the noise in the cab and heat transfer through the floor. I covered the whole floor area and the firewall interior.
Floor lined with Sondor SVA45 foam rubber.JPG
Next was cutting up the carpet to fit the interior. It was "just" wide enough to make it side to side. This took a while to get all the cutting and fitting done in the front.
Re-carpeting the Hilux.JPG
With the front carpet more or less in, I installed the gear lever boots and knobs, and re-installed my compressor and difflocks air pressure guages.
Gearknobs and boots installed.JPG
Then it was time for the front seats. This job is a real PITA ! Since these seats are out of a Renault I have to bolt them to the top of the rail mount in front which means having to slide a nut in under the seat like a contortionist with 2m arms needed :thumbdown: .
Fronts seats re-installed.JPG
And here is the final result of the interior - worked out great !
The final result.JPG
Now I have to finish carpeting the rear of the double cab, but that will have to wait since we have no power all day tomorrow due to planned substation maintenance :evil: - Cannot even call it a blackout anymore, now it's a "previously lit area" :shh:

Next week, Propshafts !
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Looks great Andrew!

But I fail to understand why you cannot finish the rear carpeting tomorrow... you don't need elecktrickery to cut carpets to fit the Hilux... ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Impressive! Very neat ... nice job! :thumbup:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Eish Eric, my front garage and workshop she have no windows, very very dark !

That and SWAMBO will kill me if I venture near the Hilux tomorrow :)

Thanks Andy !
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Andrew, the whole job is really looking good, I like the improvisation to get the transfer case back into place... cool!

I wonder how long those carpets are going to look so clean and pretty??

Mr B
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Mr_B wrote: I wonder how long those carpets are going to look so clean and pretty??

Mr B
Hmmm, yes, will have to get some nice new rubber mats hey :thumbup: Maybe convert the wifes footspa to 12v to wash the feet :roll: :roll:

Electricty due to go off in 14 minutes :evil: :evil:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Come get my gen-set!

Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Post by Maniac »

Or just move the vehicle outside????

Great job btw..... something I would like to tackle one day
93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

OK I checked this hole installation and what a great job, but now I am confused. Why does yours now have 3 short levers and the one in bosbeer only have 2? :confused:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ben, as I understand it, the rear case is not using the 'J' selector, but two separate selectors ... one for H (was H4) and one for L (was L4). These can then be operated individually giving you a much larger gear ratio selection.

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Benny, peekchaz make it easier hey :mrgreen:
Gear selector description.JPG
Measured the front propshaft tonight, and it needs to be extended by 165mm, so I'll drop it off at PE Propshafts tomorrow for extension and balancing.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

So I got it mixed up! :lol: :wink:

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Sifu-Lux wrote:- Cannot even call it a blackout anymore, now it's a "previously lit area" :shh:

Next week, Propshafts !

Hehehehe :twisted:

Beautiful work Andrew :clap: :clap:

Stunning Article, a real "sticky" :mrgreen:

luurv the peekchaz :thumbup:

R :wink:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Andrew

Looks like everything is comming togeather cant wait to see the beast in action!
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
dieseldog
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: Toyota 4Runner

Post by dieseldog »

Andrew,

Nice to see you working so meticulously! :thumbup:
This ensures no nasty surprises down the road.

Now just post a pic of your wrap-around smile once you've had it in double low! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

WILD ABOUT WHEELING!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Sifu-Lux wrote:Benny, peekchaz make it easier hey :mrgreen:
Ahhh eye see :wink: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Got the propshafts back today, but they screwed up the length of the back propshaft, so I'll have to take it back again.

"Lengthen it 590mm please", " No problem". So they made it 590 mm long, not longer :evil: :thumbdown:

Here is the lengthened and balanced front propshaft installed,
Lengthened front propshaft installed.JPG
Anyway, as promised, here is the project costing. I don't expect any more costs at present.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Is that the Mikem greasable shackles on what looks like OME leaf packs?

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Nope, OME leaf packs and OME greasable shackles :) - Gotta keep it real ...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sifu-Lux wrote:Nope, OME leaf packs and OME greasable shackles :) - Gotta keep it real ...
I like! :D: :wink:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Took the rear propshaft back today and they re-did it. Here is the new solid rear propshaft made from a lengthened front propshaft lying next to the original two piece rear propshaft with center bearing. (Ah, another benefit of this, no future center bearing problems :thumbup: , so a cost saving :lol: )
Front propshaft converted for rear use and original rear prop.JPG
As I mentioned earlier, I fitted a front output flange to the rear of the transfer case so I could connect the old lengthened front propshaft at the rear.
Hilux front double cardan joint on rear solid propshaft.JPG
And here is the solid rear propshaft installed
Solid rear prop replaces old prop with center bearing.JPG
Time now to test this weekend :D :D :D
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Bet you can't wait ... I would have sommer taken off immediately after the last bolt was tightened! :D: Enjoy, and good luck that there are no hic-ups! :wink:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

This morning I checked the transfer case oil level and topped it up with about 350 ml of oil. It has now obviously found its way into all the necessary places :mrgreen:

Took the Hilux for a quick spin around the block in 2H. No noises or vibrations, everthing went fine. Shifted the front crawl box into 2L (2.28:1), again everything runs smoothly, basically standard low range. Tried the rear box in 2L (4.7:1) much slower :wth: , then both in 2L ( 10.7:1) and :shock: :D :thumbup: very very very very slow....

Drove around a bit like that in 2WD and found the low gear levers a bit sloppy/loose feeling, and once the 4.7:1 stick jumped out of gear when I bumped it. This would not do on a steep hill if the transfer case jumped into neutral :think: .

So, out with the old shift rod detent springs, and in with the new heavy duty springs, which I was warned would make the gear selection very stiff. I tried the standard ones first on other guys advice.
Heavy duty shift rod detent spring vs standard detent spring.JPG
They are MUCH stiffer, but don't make it impossible to change gear. You just need quite a bit more arm force (will have to eat my wheaties). At least though once selected, the transfer box will NOT jump out of gear at the wrong moment.

I then took the Hilux with its new setup on a 50km round trip to check everything out. I went past the 4x4 challenge at the Mission rd Oval race track which was taking place today. While there I engaged the rear transfer box with 4.7:1, and with 2 bar road tyre pressure climbed out a really steep incline of about 40 deg while idling (no foot on the accelerator :thumbup: )

I then tried both transfer boxes in low and :D: :D: :D: This is INSANE ! You cannot believe how slow it is. Climbs up things like they aren't even there.

I still cannot get over the change in ability, and that with only one small test run.

Funny enough, as I arrived at the challenge, I was greeted with a sight familiar to Hilux owners...

Hilux recovering a Jeep :mrgreen:
Hilux recovering a Jeep.JPG
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A nice but rather serious looking Lux with roll cage, cropped tail and big fat takkies.

Good that you got the x-fer lever sorted ... as you say you don't want that to be accidentally bumped or even jump out of gear. :thumbup:

missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

sorry your shifter was looser then you wanted.
I did say to strech the stock springs... (didn't I?)

my wife could not shift it at all with the heavy duty springs.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I did stretch one spring and tried it, but it was still a bit soft, and I was worried it would relax after a while. Shifting now is a bit more work, but OK.

I am going to make some 80mm shift knob extensions tomorrow to raise the knobs higher ( they are very close to the sides of the seats) and give a bit more leverage.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

In order to finish the project, the detail must be right, not so?

So I designed and had a new Transfer gear shift instruction sticker made for the glovebox lid :mrgreen:

ORIGINAL:
Transfer shifting instruction decal_OLD.JPG
NEW for the dual cases:
Transfer shifting instruction decal_1.JPG
Transfer shifting instruction decal.JPG
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

Very nice and looks original!!!
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: Very professional, Andrew ! :thumbup: ..... only an engineer would go to such lengths, :lol: but I'm accustomed to it now, my daughter's fiancee' is a mechanical engineer! :D: :wink:

No, seriously, very nice Andrew, ... a job you have every right to be proud of!!

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Thanks guys, I like detail :roll: Anorak Engineer ?

I suppose I went a bit sticker design crazy and had a whole bunch made.
Got about 40 different stickers made for R 160 at DPI in PE. Good service, and delivered to my house.

Decorated the propshafts with some "advertising" :lol:
Rear prop stickers.JPG
Front prop stickers 1.JPG
Front prop stickers 2.JPG
I just noticed some errors in the transfer case shift instruction sticker. My original artwork is correct, so they must have made the errors converting it/ re-typing it into their printing program. Will have to get them to re-do it on Monday.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Jislaak dat are shweet... I are liking it stukend!

Well done Andrew... how much are you charging for this upgrade... come on... your marriage will probably survive... but just!

Mr B :thumbup:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Damn, Andrew, I am so jealous! Congrats on a job well done! I wish I could do this kind of thing myself. But seeing that I can't..... When can I drop off my Lux for the same treatment?
ImageImage
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

I take it those two smiley faces means 2 months? See you in 2 months Andrew :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Any more mods and SWAMBO says the only face I'll have will look like this :silent: :oops:

Time to lay low... :thumbup:

P.S. :mrgreen: = decade
missouriman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by missouriman »

great job :clap: :clap:

one more bit of advice, don't ever coast with the clutch in and the transmission in gear in the low low range.
you will spin your clutch up to enough rpm that it will explode!!

get used to slipping the transmission into neutral for coasting.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Sifu-Lux wrote:I am going to make some 80mm shift knob extensions tomorrow to raise the knobs higher ( they are very close to the sides of the seats) and give a bit more leverage.
I finally got around to having the gearstick extensions made. I made a quick sketch of what I needed and had them turned out of stainless steel. Here's the drawing if anybody else wants to make some.
Hilux 80mm gearlever extensions_resize.JPG
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Hilux 80mm gear stick extensions.JPG
And here they are fitted. They are at a much better height now and the added length has given me more leverage, and less effort to engage.
Hilux 80mm gear stick extensions installed.JPG
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Hmmm .... one of these days you will drop the Hilux upgrades and build an improved new unit from scratch .... the "SifuLux" :D: :wink:

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Andy, you never know hey :) I'm sure that's how it started for some guys now making vehicles full time...

Now it's ready as far as I can see. Done about 100km and no leaks, noises, problems at all, even up to 130km/h. Now I'm itching to really go test it.
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilex

Post by Zantus »

Sifu-Lux wrote: Now I'm itching to really go test it.
We'll have to make a plan this coming weekend :thumbup:
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

:thumbup: Barto :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Zantus wrote:
Sifu-Lux wrote: Now I'm itching to really go test it.
We'll have to make a plan this coming weekend :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: ..... and don't forget to take a video camera with ... post a clip or two here for us! :D:

Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Andrew

Great workmanship and job well done :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will it be seen on Thursday Night at Outdoor Warehouse?

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”