IFS Front Shocks

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Hannes Thirion
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota HiLux KZ-TE DC 4x4

IFS Front Shocks

Post by Hannes Thirion »

My 2001 KZ-TE D/C 4x4 need new shocks.
I did consider Camils, but their price went up recently.
I now consider Ironman. What is the difference between the nitro gas and foam cell shocks apart from the fact that the foam cells are more expensive that gas?
Regards,
Hannes
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: IFS Front Shocks

Post by BenHur »

Let me explain the difference between "oil" shocks and nitro shocks first.

All shocks use hydraulic fluid (oil) to dampen the "shock". Normal oil shocks are filled with oil and air. As the shock works the oil gets hot to boiling point and then it mixes with the air to make a foam and then the shock is useless until it cools down again. This is when people refer to shocks fading.

To curb this problem the manufacturers have changed the design so that the remove the air out of the shocks and replace it with Nitrogen gas, so a nitro shock still uses oil to dampen, but by replacing the air with Nitrogen the foaming/fading effect is delayed dramatically.

With Foam cell shocks they changed the design in such a way that the do not have to fill the Air/Gas space but it seems that they rather fill the shock fully with oil. Note 100% sure what they do but this is from their website:
http://www.ironmansuspension.co.za/ wrote:The Foam Cell element used by Ironman is to replace the Nitrogen Gas Charge used in other shock absorber models. This Closed cell element is responsible for absorption and reaction required to delay and discourage the tendency of the shock absorber fluid boiling. The advantage of using the Foam element is that it uses considerably less space than that occupied by gas. This allows the shock absorber to be "top filled" with oil and benefits from maximum heat dissipation.
As far as I know the shocks are thicker as well so it there are no foam cell shocks available for vehicles like my Pajero that uses strut configurations (shock inside a coil)

So if you do a lot of over-landing / "high" speed driving on corrugated roads the theory is that the shocks will stay cooler for longer allowing you to drive further without having to let the shocks cool down. Otherwise I reckon the Nitro shocks will be fine.
Hannes Thirion
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota HiLux KZ-TE DC 4x4

Post by Hannes Thirion »

Bennie,
Thanks for the info, it help a lot to understand the different shock tegnologies.
Since the main purpose of my vehicle is to transport me and my equipment safely to remote sites away from the masses and give me a save hide between predators while I photograph them, and not to show the colour of the paint on shocks and other aftermarket hype 4x4 products, I decided yesterday to go for Monroe shocks. I got 4 nitro gas shocks for less than the price of one of other named brands.
Thanks again for the info.
Regards,
Hannes
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

I also like the Monroes, I have seen a few guys using them and I am impressed with what I saw. Most probably the next brand of shocks I will get for my Hilux as well if I am in the market again.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I heard that on the back some guys fit Land Cruiser pick-up shocks for longer travel. Do you know of anything else one can fit in front? I need to replace the front ones now.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Pieter

On a IFS I would not sommer use parts that do not standard dimensions except if it forms part of complete lift kit designed specifically for your car.

Tolerances (CV angles, Tie rod angles etc) on IFS is a bit more critical then on a SFA where you can easily get away with a efficient backyard modification.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”