ABS with SFA conversion?

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

ABS with SFA conversion?

Post by Bushwacker »

I just wondered if it is possable to get the ABS to work in the front axle, as I had it in my KZ's old IFS :think:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: ABS with SFA conversion?

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm guessing you would have to build the sensors over somehow .... the front wheels are the real brake force so it would be nice to have working ABS. Surely someone, somewhere has come up with a solution ....... :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jacques T
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by Jacques T »

I'm also considering this. Does anyone have any information or diagrams explaining exactly how an ABS system works?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

It can be done, you'll have to fit a rotor and pickup to the hubs.

The problem is that ABS pulses the brakeforce, ie. decreasing brakeforce to the wheel that wants to lock up, so you have to upgrade the brake-system to enable it to actually lock a wheel before you can think of decreasing brakeforce.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Jacques T
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by Jacques T »

Hoppy wrote:It can be done, you'll have to fit a rotor and pickup to the hubs.

The problem is that ABS pulses the brakeforce, ie. decreasing brakeforce to the wheel that wants to lock up, so you have to upgrade the brake-system to enable it to actually lock a wheel before you can think of decreasing brakeforce.

Thanks for the info. It might still be worth doing the conversion. Would IFS or Landcruiser rotors fit on the SFA hubs?

I know you also need pumps and controllers, but my main concern is to get the pickup on the wheels to work.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”