Suspension upgrade on a KZ-TE

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Suspension upgrade on a KZ-TE

Post by Johannes van die See »

A few images.
Attachments
Skyjacker_JK_007.jpg
Skyjacker_JK_007.jpg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 9806 times
1.jpg
qd4.jpg
qd4.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 9806 times
SwayBarDisco03.jpg
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Thanx Johan for the pics, but what do these help with? :think:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

This is what I came up with.Hope it makes sense
sway.jpg
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

You'll find all the answers here........

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/SwayBar.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

cool :thumbup: will read soon as time allows
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Last night I got the other side done :yahoo: and please see pics below.

Front driver side - 52.5 cm (before)
Front driver side - 58.5 cm (after) - 6 cm gain

Front passenger side - 54.5 cm (before)
Front passenger side - 60 cm (after) - 5.5 cm gain

Measurements taken from below the wheel arch to the centre of the free-wheel locking hub

Next up of course will be alignment and then the longer shackles at the rear, :thumbup:

Will keep you guys updated on the progress.
Attachments
This is the end result, which I'm very happy with. Do ignore the racing slicks - still saving up for muds. Entire operation takes about an hour on either side. I must apply something on the inner upper lip where I have cut/bent to prevent rust.
This is the end result, which I'm very happy with. Do ignore the racing slicks - still saving up for muds. Entire operation takes about an hour on either side. I must apply something on the inner upper lip where I have cut/bent to prevent rust.
Top View.JPG
Side View.JPG
The upper inner flange I had to bend slightly back to allow spacer to sit level, it was about a centimeter or so. This is the hardest part of the intallation and only takes a few mins to do.
The upper inner flange I had to bend slightly back to allow spacer to sit level, it was about a centimeter or so. This is the hardest part of the intallation and only takes a few mins to do.
Spacer installed prior to replacing the wheel, note the flex already as compared to standard
Spacer installed prior to replacing the wheel, note the flex already as compared to standard
This is prior to spacer installation with standard suspension
This is prior to spacer installation with standard suspension
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

pietpetoors wrote:The swaybar helps to stabalize the vehicle when driving on the road, prevents it from swaying.
But off-road the swaybar limits the downward travel of the control arms.

I do not have a nice picture of the effect, but I see in this month's SA4x4 they explain it very nicely with pictures of a JEEP

The info about these is at
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... connectsV3
I read up and it makes sense, how many do you have in stock? It'll have to wait till month end though Pieter.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

nice one. :thumbup: What type of shocks is that?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

I know that many "experts" will disagree with me, but I recon it is safe to remove the sway bar connects altogether. Before I did the solid axle conversion on my 2.7, I fitted a full Iron Man suspension (torsion bars, leaf springs,shocks and shackles) as well as 32" Coopers. But still the articulation wasn't to my liking. I did a test and removed both sway bar connects. Maybe the 32" tyres and new shocks had something to do with it but I didn't notice any swaying or drifting even at high speed. I even did my own version of the so called "moose test" as well as high speed dirt road testing and the bakkie never felt unsafe. But is it worth the effort? I would say no. I did Babilonstoring trail with the connects removed and in my opinion the gain in articulation was minimal. I still had to use diff lock on one obstacle where the SFA's went without.
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

george wrote:nice one. :thumbup: What type of shocks is that?
Let's not go there George :shh: came with the bakkie and they must go also.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Nice Tumelo :thumbup:
I have two sets of those disconnects in stock but I doubt that they will go very fast.

Tumelo I would first do the rear shackles if I were you. You need to adjust the hight of the vehicle before you can do the alignment. If you do the alignment now you will have to do it again after you changed the rear shackles. Change the shackles, the adjust the front torsion bars so the nose is slightly lower than the rear (about 10mm) and then go for alignment.

Do me a favor and measure the height from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the wheel arch. Always use the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the wheel arch, it is more accurate than guessing where the center of the hub is.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Martin, yes, there are different opinions about that. Some guys told me you wont feel the difference and others say that the vehicle may have some body roll without the sway bars. Maybe I must test it myself and see because I have not done so yet. I don't want to tell somebody to remove his sway bar and then he makes an accident.

What shocks did you have on yours ?
At the moment my current shocks in front is just long enough for the downward travel with the spacers fitted. If I remove the sway bar the shocks will prevent the control arms from moving down further so there is no use for me to fit the disconnects if I do not fit longer shocks.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

Pieter I had Iron Man Foam Cell shocks. I never checked the travel, maybe that was the limiting factor with the articulation.
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

pietpetoors wrote:Nice Tumelo :thumbup:
I have two sets of those disconnects in stock but I doubt that they will go very fast.

Tumelo I would first do the rear shackles if I were you. You need to adjust the hight of the vehicle before you can do the alignment. If you do the alignment now you will have to do it again after you changed the rear shackles. Change the shackles, the adjust the front torsion bars so the nose is slightly lower than the rear (about 10mm) and then go for alignment.

Do me a favor and measure the height from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the wheel arch. Always use the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the wheel arch, it is more accurate than guessing where the center of the hub is.
Cool will do :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

must say i had a look at the sway bar connects and personally i dont think it is going to improve to much if you disconnect.You still have that bump stop on the top that will stop the articulation.but it will be good if you can test it Piet
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I will jack up my trokkie later today and give feedback
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

For Pieter:

Previous:

Front driver side - 52.5 cm (before)
Front driver side - 58.5 cm (after) - 6 cm gain

Front passenger side - 54.5 cm (before)
Front passenger side - 60 cm (after) - 5.5 cm gain

Measurements taken below wheel arch to bottom of rim (265/75x15 tyre @ 2.5 bar):

Driver side: 76 cm
Passenger side: 76.5, both are after ball joints - hope this helps :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Just look at the shocks, it looks if it are at max lenght.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I did not forgot to measure, I just did not have time this week.
I have to replace the front brake pads next week and then will sommer do all the measurements.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:thumbup: :wink2: :whistle:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

george wrote:must say i had a look at the sway bar connects and personally i dont think it is going to improve to much if you disconnect.You still have that bump stop on the top that will stop the articulation.but it will be good if you can test it Piet
I think there is not much to gain if you do the ball joint spacers and the sway bar disconnects on the IFS, it will make it higher but doesn't help articulation, for that we need to drop the front diff and longer shoks, without this we are going to experience CV axle binding as explained on http://www.4crawler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By adding shims to the bump stops you are effectively reducing your downward articulation, BUT IS NECESSARY IF YOU DO NOT LOWER YOUR FRONT DIFF!

Im doing mine tonight and will take some pictures :thumbup:
Theodorus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Honeydew Jhb
Vehicle: HILUX

Suspension upgrade on a KZ-TE

Post by Theodorus »

I ve put some ball joint spacers 4 cm and dropped my torsion bars makes a huge difference on my down wards is there any thing spesific i should look at

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-29.619406,31.105969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mylux
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

donkey what does your van mesure at the back? mine mesured 390mm before the extended shackles and 410mm after that is from the top of the rim to the wheel arch
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Will measure and advise you :thumbup: but remember the rear is still standard?
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Donkey wrote:Will measure and advise you :thumbup: but remember the rear is still standard?
jip thats what we would like to know, want to see how your kz compares to mine before and after.
Foksie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Fortuner 4x4

Post by Foksie »

Update please
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Eish been busy and so forgot, apologies. I can post on Sat morning.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”