Replacement bumper

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Sakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 DC 4x2

Replacement bumper

Post by Sakkie »

Hi, I am looking to built an replacement bumper for my hilux. I saw this pic of a bumper from the forum and was wondering if you guys have any tips for me to remember when building a replacement bumper.

I am thinking of using 60mm steel pipe. Will it be sufficient or too heavy for the front end? I am also looking to fit 4 spotlights on the front lower part, left and right of the center box where the winch will be housed.

Main reason for the bumper is intimidation, especially those taxis that just stops in front of you without warning

I am attaching a pic of the proposed bumper. Hope it works.
Attachments
xrox8crop.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Replacement bumper

Post by OOOOMS »

Personally I would use a 60mm pipe on the sides and a thicker pipe on top, also the sides I would clad as thay look a bit open. That's my opinion and I really like the style :thumbup:

Remember to have recovery points and perhaps high-lift points built in from the start
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

This is also nice :thumbup:

http://www.onca4x4.co.za/gallery_ex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Sakkie »

Thanks Mark, I forgot about the recovery points. As for the open clad I want to close that with metal sheet and also put the spots there.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sakkie wrote:Thanks Mark, I forgot about the recovery points. As for the open clad I want to close that with metal sheet and also put the spots there.
Just another idea.....regarding the front middle 'box' if you are not going to fit a winch, you can make it a nice tool or goodie box for storage, othewise it will be wasted space :thumbup:
Sakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Sakkie »

Mark, thanks for the link, I like that bumper more, will try and built a mix between the two. Recovery points must be on the chassis right, not the bumper itself?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I am new to modifications on my bakkie.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sakkie wrote:Mark, thanks for the link, I like that bumper more, will try and built a mix between the two. Recovery points must be on the chassis right, not the bumper itself?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I am new to modifications on my bakkie.
Correct, attached to the chassis :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Can be attached to the bumper itself ... BUT to the mounting plates of the bumper that are directly attached to the chassis with rated steel bolts, and if those mounting plates are adequately thick (8mm min). The recovery points will then also be directly in line with the chassis rails. Any recovery hooks / eyes / shackles also need to be adequately rated. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Sakkie »

Thanks Andy, when the bumper is finished I will post pics and then you guys can direct me to best place for the recovery points. I appreciate all the help.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”