Hilux 4x4
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Friends of Barking Mad

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users
Congratulations to: Thelynxeffect (39), mattys T (30), Quadmyster (29), NathanX4 (27) on their birthday today.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 rear diff 

Town: Letterkenny
Vehicle: Toyota hilux
Post rear diff
hi all,
T Giles here. I am a new member.
I am on my 2nd Toyota hilux ,had a 2000 single cab 4 the last 3years now i have a 2002 hilux crew cab 2.5 D4D, I was very happy with my 2000 hilux and even happier with my 2002 hilux. but have a prob my rear diff will not lock i can hear the moter turn when i push the diff lock button but dose not lock. any help would b appreciated , T Giles

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Post Re: rear diff
Did this problem just start or has it been like that since you bought the vehicle? .... or maybe after work was done on the diff?

I ask because if you can hear the motor then you don't have an electrical problem ... it will be mechanical. Here I see one of two probabilities .... if it's just started then it's possible that the worm gear is stripped, .... if it's always been like that since you had it or after someone has worked on it, then it's possibly the above by co-incidence or the actuator is not engaging the diff lock 'fork' in the diff.

Either way, you would have to disconnect and remove the actuator motor, clean and inspect it. Sometimes the problem is nothing more than an accumulation of muck inside.

Best of luck that it's nothing serious. ;-)

ImageImage
Life is like a jar of JalapeƱo peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.

Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
Life is not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ] 
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:11 pm