Lift - Tires - Engine power...

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
RICE-CR
Town: Alajuela
Vehicle: 2000 Hilux 2RZ

Lift - Tires - Engine power...

Post by RICE-CR »

Hi there everyone, thanks for the welcome messages!
Now I have been reading posts here to help me find some answers but still with a couple of doubts... So I guess Ill do just one post instead of a bunch of them... lol!

1st> Im looking to give a couple of inches more to my Hilux, lets say 2" (5cm). I,ve been thinking on doing a PML (poor man lift) as they call it on USA.. wich is basically larger shackles and adjust torsion bars... So I want to know what a good size of shackle would it be and whats the proportion of lift, I read but not sure that it was 2:1 (every 2cm of shackle I get 1cm of Lift)
Also what can I do on the front end to avoid my car getting to hard...
Also, would a body lift be a better option and win sum ground clearence with larger tires? (wich takes me to next question)

2nd> These one actually covers 2 questions. Always on trying to make my car a bit bigger, and to work little better, Im looking to change my 31x10.5R15 MT Tires for a set of 33x10.5R15 tires... My doubt is, should I regear? change relations ( I think you call it ratios) on it? My car its an 2000 DC Hilux with 2RZ engine and have no idea of what relations or gear it currently has.
What I want is not to lose or affect less as pissible fuel economy and handling and aceleration and top speed.

3rd How to gain a couple more of ponys here? I would really like to improve my engine's power, mostly that Im looking to get bigger tires and would be towing a med trailer with my ATV and other stuff...
I'll be, soon hopefully, installing a snorkel and a replacement K&N Air Filter, also I was thinking on removing all buffers from the intake to leave a straight and clean direct flow of air into engine...

Please keep in mind in my country is hard to find aftermarket parts and from USA thats where it could be easy for me to buy, there is just few parts and places to find them.
Hilux 2000 2RZ
>Midland CB >TJM Awning >31" MT Tires
Cherokee 1987 4L
>6.5" lift >35" SS Boggers >Snorkel >Midland CB
COSTA RICA, PURA VIDA!!
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Re: Lift - Tires - Engine power...

Post by AM Racing »

Hi Ricardo,

1. I would avoid the longer shackles especially if you say you are going to tow a trailer. They cause instabillity and you would just be looking for trouble. Rather reset and temper the rear blades. You will need to get longer shocks and possibly increase the length of the rear flexi brake hose. This will give you about 2" at the rear. On the front I would fit a spacer kit between the ball joints and the control arms. No bumping on the stops and it stays smooth.

2. 33's would look great but with that small motor it IS going to affect power and consumption. Changing the ratio's will help here. To what, you would have to check what you vehicle has but it would more than likely be a 4.55:1 ratio.

3. More often than not playing with smaller capacity motors only leads to wasting money. If you are looking to optomise you existing set up then fine; exhaust, Unichip and leave it at that. The minute you start with cams and flowing heads the cost factor increases dramatically! You may as well just do the Lexus V8 conversion if you are looking for a significant increase.

Hope this gives you more to think about. As you will see the only limit is the budget. Have fun :thumbup:
ImageImageImage
RICE-CR

Post by RICE-CR »

Thanks Dylan!

Ok so I've decided to go with the spacer for the front, now since I would definetly not be able to find it here or any where close Ill have to make have them built here. Any recomendation? any one has like a picture and meassurmentes of the same? Material to have done with?
For the rear I Think Im just going to wait a bit more and get TJM 50mm leaf springs...
With all these, do you think I need new shocks? what brand would you recomend? I was personally thinking on Rancho RS9000, how ever your the ones how know these cars better!

On regards engine I know you're right, small engine, investing on it its a waste of money, lol, but still I think Im going to give a try maybe with maybe 1/2inch larger exhaust, K&N Filter and dont know if maybe 4:2:1 Headers, what do you think about that?
These at least while Im able to swap it for a 1KZ-TE...

Now ratios, didnt got you here sorry, you say I maight be needing 4.55 or I should currently have 4.55?

Thanks for the help!
Hilux 2000 2RZ
Cherokee 1987 4L
COSTA RICA, PURA VIDA!!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Welcome Ricardo, for front spacers have a look at
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Bal ... acer.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Dylan is saying that he thinks it should currently be about 4.55. If you fit the 33" tyres then you will have to compensate at the diffs because that small motor is going to be short of power. Maybe a 4.875 diff (sometimes called a 4.88) will be OK, but I think even that will be a bit of a battle for the motor.

I really would not use the K&N filter. Sure it allows for a little less airflow restriction, but that is achieved at the expense of proper air filtration, and since you will often be driving in dusty conditions, I would not recommend it at all.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
RICE-CR

Post by RICE-CR »

Thanks Andy!! That makes total sence and Ive never thought about that!!
Hilux 2000 2RZ
Cherokee 1987 4L
COSTA RICA, PURA VIDA!!
RICE-CR

Post by RICE-CR »

Ok, I just ended up doing my lift, I went with ball-joint spacers of 38mm (1.5In) and rear shackles 101mm (4in) largers to get a 50mm (2in) height gain.
based on measurements I did gain what I was supposed to.
BEFORE:
Front: 36"
Rear: 36.5"
AFTER:
Front: 37.5"
Rear: 38.25"
These are aprox numbers....

Now, I have 2 doubts:
1st: In order to place the spacer on the Upper A-arm, I had to do a little cut on the inside of the AArm since it didnt fit the spacer, Everything was weld back and kept the original figure and everything back to normal, but any one has an idea why was this? Is it normal?
2nd: My A-Arm is VERY VERY close to my tire, there is about 1/2in between tire and AArm. is that normal? Do I need wheel spacers?

I will try to add pics on monday to make my self as clear as possible on what I did and what Im talking about! But in the meantime some of you might know what Im talking about!

Thanks all!
Hilux 2000 2RZ
Cherokee 1987 4L
COSTA RICA, PURA VIDA!!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi and welcome Ricardo :thumbup:

It seems normal to cut a bit on the A-arms when installing the spacers, had to cut on mine also.

And secondly I wouldn't put spacers if the wheels aren't touching and also they then compromise on your bearings with time, especially if you still intend to go 33's, my 2 cent's worth :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
RICE-CR

Post by RICE-CR »

Thanks Tumelo!
I feel better now that you say that is normal!

I now spacers are not that good but is just that there is less than 1/2in between tire's sidewall and arm, is that normal, is it cause my wheels offset?
My idea was to use spacers while I get to change my wheels!

I Actually intend to go with 33x10.5, first I need 4.88 gear which Im already getting quote on them.

I continue with my newbie questions, now Lockers.
I would like to start with just rear, I was thinking with an ARB but I dont offroad that hard, besides I know ARB is very expensive and hard to maintain, so Im looking for a simpler good working locker, what do you recomend?
I was even thinking on getting a Chinese made air locker, but dont know if worth taking the risk, has any one try those before?

thanks for all the support!
Hilux 2000 2RZ
Cherokee 1987 4L
COSTA RICA, PURA VIDA!!
RICE-CR

Post by RICE-CR »

So I finally got my spacers, of 1.25" (31.75mm)... I looks great and works just fine.
My final meassures where from flat floor to the fender, Front: Before 36" After 39" Rear: Before 37.5" After 39.5"

Also I think Im going to need a Drop Diff kit, almost from day 1 I riped one of the external boots that covers the axel.
Hilux 2000 2RZ
Cherokee 1987 4L
COSTA RICA, PURA VIDA!!

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”