Move ignition coils on 2.7 Hilux

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Move ignition coils on 2.7 Hilux

Post by pietpetoors »

This is something I wanted to do ages ago and at long last did it this weekend.

The ignition coils on the 2.7 Hilux is located at the front of the engine right above the fanbelts. So if you drive through a little bit of water the fan belts splash water on the coil which often lead to a misfire.
Coils
Coils
To move it was rather easy. You just remove the whole bracket with coils on.
Cut open the wiring harness to get the wires out and relocate it. You do not have to cut and join any wires, just re-route them.
Harness cut open
Harness cut open
The only mod to the wires was that I swopped no 1 and no4 plug leads.

Finding the best spot took me the longest:
First I wanted to put them on the existing bracket sideways on the firewall.
Wanted to put here
Wanted to put here
It looked as if it would work and I had to cut open the bracket in order to run the brake booster pipe through the bracket.
Modify bracket
Modify bracket
I attached it to the firewall only to find that the bonnet is pushing against it when you close the bonet, it was too high.
New (WRONG) position
New (WRONG) position
I then considered putting it behind the airbox, but that would have been too far from the plugs and you would need longer plug leads.
Considered here but too far from plugs
Considered here but too far from plugs
I then simply drilled holes in the ridge on the firewall just below the brake booster pipe.
Attached the coils to it with M6x25mm stainless bolts with nylock nuts.
Final position
Final position
Final
Final
All I have to do now is to neatly close the wiring harness again.

O ja, and of course I had to bend the brake booster pipe a bit to get it away from the nuts and to attach it again using the original brackets

If you skip the "figure out where it must come" process and directly fit it to the firewall, this mod should take between 30 minutes and 1 hours. You will need a sharp knife to cut open the harness, a 10 and 12mm socket, 6mm drill, drilling machine, 4x M6x25mm bolts with nylock nuts and some insulation tape to close the wires again afterwards. So the only expense is the 4 bolts with nuts.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Jxjdm
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: '05 Raider 2.7i Legend 35. '99 Honda civic vtec. '99 Honda CR250R

Re: Move ignition coils on 2.7 Hilux

Post by Jxjdm »

Mooi gedoen Pieter...... ek gaan myne ook moet skuif om plek te maak vd turbo.....
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Nicely done, Pieter!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good plan!! .... and out of harm's way! :thumbup: One wonders why the Toy engineers put it there in the first place .... cost cutting, maybe ..... :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

There must have been some method behind the madness.

What I also wondered is why the one coil is situated higher than the other (see pic below)

By putting it there it is, as already mentioned, where it can get wet, secondly all the wires have to run all the way to the front of the engine just above the exhaust manifold and the coils are subject to the vibrations of the engine.

Unless I overlook something I think the way I have it now should be better.
One coil higher than the other
One coil higher than the other
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Nicely done Pieter :thumbup:
Aftre tidying the harness me thinks an engine wash would be appropriate :cooldude:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I heard the nicest description for a 4x4 on Saturday night.
We attended a party and the one guy, who is a bit more attached to his feminine side, walked with us and asked where we parked, I showed him the Hilux and he said
"Oh, it was you who came in with the BUTCH WAGON"

So Donkey, this is a butch wagon not a m0ffie trokkie, the engine can be a bit dusty
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:I heard the nicest description for a 4x4 on Saturday night.
We attended a party and the one guy, who is a bit more attached to his feminine side, walked with us and asked where we parked, I showed him the Hilux and he said
"Oh, it was you who came in with the BUTCH WAGON"

So Donkey, this is a butch wagon not a m0ffie trokkie, the engine can be a bit dusty
:laugh2: :laugh2:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hoe lekka lag ek nou :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Issie 'n m-*-f-f-i-e-trokkie :mocking: nie.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I hope somebody can help (Hoppy?)

Today I noticed a fine krrrrrr sound at the dashboard behind rev counter.
I later realised the sound is coming from the engine bay
I am not sure if it is a vibration or if maybe it could be the coils which are making the noise

Do those coils build up and break a magnetic field big enough to make such a noise?

I cannot figure out if the frequency of the noise change when I rev the engine because the moment I rev the engine slightly the engine's noise becomes more than this krrrr sound.

The sound wont bother me much but I would like to know what is causing it. I am afraid that maybe it can be the coils and if it is a magnetic field that it might stuff up something else like other electronics.

Maybe there was a reason why Toyota put the coils right in front of the engine.

Went to Cape Town and back and the bakkie drives very good after I removed that heat tank. Had a strong wind on my way to town and was doing about 100km town driving. Filled up again tonight just outside Langebaan and consumption was 7.5km/l which I dont think is bad for the strong wind and town driving, but cannot say for sure it is because I removed the tank. One thing I can say for sure is that the pipe is now ultra cool. When I stopped at the Engen tonight to fill up, I opened the bonnet and toughed it, it was not much hotter than the ambient temperature. Will test the consumption more over the weekend and will then see.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

Pieter the tank you removed is not a heat tank, it is a resonator, it works like an exhaust silencer but yes it does induce additional heat to the intake. The main function is to cancel out intake noise, on the face lift models it is made out of plastic. The heat for cold conditions is supplied by a pipe that feeds hot coolant through the bottom of the throttle body thereby heating it up. You can bypass that as well, but I did not realy find a big difference. You will notice if you remove both resonators and the piece that goes into the fender then the intake will start to sound like a golf with a drilled airbox. Yours goes into the snorkel which may be why it is not as noticeable.

The problem seems to be that if you modify one thing you affect the calibration of the sensors and you preferable need to compensate for that as you now have changed your reference points.

Good luck with finding the cause of the noise.
Jackal
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: CTN
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4 2002

Post by Jackal »

pietpetoors wrote: Filled up again tonight just outside Langebaan and consumption was 7.5km/l
What else have you done to your Lux to get that kind of consumption? (I'm sitting closer to 6.5km/l)
Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4 2002
KTM 300 XC-W 2008
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Nothing else, I guess it is driving style
If you go over 130 you must be willing to pay, I try to stay between 120 and 130
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Pieter sit 'n stukkie rubber tussen die coil bracket en die bakwerk, en kyk of die geluid weg gaan. As dit dieselfde bly weet jy dit kom van iewers anders af.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Pieter I will, since those coils can be anywhere I decided to just loosen them and put them on the engine, then start the engine and hear if the noise is gone.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Dis n mooi plan, ek dink dit kan n effense geraas afgee, daai is n mooi plek en die drade pas mooi, miskien moet jy net n aluminium plaatjie buig en agter om sit, plak net bietjie double sided tape tussenin, die aluminium sal ook die hitte weglei
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”