Compressor in engine bay

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Compressor in engine bay

Post by WayneMan »

Has anyone ever mounted a tyre compressor in the engine bay of a KZ-TE ?

Im looking to purchase one that fits in the engine bay without doing huge modifications, and it must also be a reputable / reliable unit. Which units are recommended ?

And how should I wire it ? Can I connect it directly to the battery with a power switch ?

Many thanks
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Compressor in engine bay

Post by george »

There is a few guys that have done it.From what i have seen is that only the ARB one really works,but you will have to sell your kidney for that.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I've mounted my cheaping autoquip one in my vigo's engine bay, just made a bracket to mount it stably... so far so good, hasn't failed yet!
Last edited by Mr_B on Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Some compressors dont like constant exposure to heat, such as under the bonnet. Just make sure the one you get is robust enough to withstand it. Otherwise it is an easy job. Connect directly to the battery with a fuse in the 12V+ wire. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mine was in my enjine bay for approx. 18 months....then died....not sure if it was due to heat or exhaustion .....

Now behind my seat or in canopy :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

What Thys says bears some merit IMO ..... constant engine bay heat could cause some of the rubber / whatever seals to harden prematurely. Also believe that ARB would be best for such an installation ... proven itself, but pricey.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

If I want to install a compressor in the engine bay, I will definitely go for the ARB.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

jacques kotze wrote:If I want to install a compressor in the engine bay, I will definitely go for the ARB.
@ R3700.00......I think not..... :o:
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

7 Years ago i bought an pump for me which i paid R3700.00 for.These pumps are normally installed in vehicles with air suspensions.iI installed mine in a toolbox and after 7 years it is still going strong with no problems.I think at the end of the the day you get what you paid for.
Attachments
pomp1 (Medium).JPG
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

OOOOMS wrote:
jacques kotze wrote:If I want to install a compressor in the engine bay, I will definitely go for the ARB.
@ R3700.00......I think not..... :o:
What is the other options? The kind that can stand the engine heat and dust and everything else?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Buy a descent compressor....like imo T-Max (72 or 160l) mount it in a battery box in the engin bay :thumbup:
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

I have a ARB to power my front locker but if I can choose it will be my trusty Thomas compressor , as a matter of fact I am going to remove the ARB comp and fit the Thomas .
My ARB comp does not like heat.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

WESKUSKLONG wrote:I have a ARB to power my front locker but if I can choose it will be my trusty Thomas compressor , as a matter of fact I am going to remove the ARB comp and fit the Thomas .
Ja, Thomas is 'n baie goeie kwaliteid kompressor, weet nie wat kos hulle deesdae nie? Maar weet van baie ouens wat hulle al jare in die enjin bay het, sonder eenige probleme :thumbup:
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

OOOOMS wrote:
WESKUSKLONG wrote:I have a ARB to power my front locker but if I can choose it will be my trusty Thomas compressor , as a matter of fact I am going to remove the ARB comp and fit the Thomas .
Ja, Thomas is 'n baie goeie kwaliteid kompressor, weet nie wat kos hulle deesdae nie? Maar weet van baie ouens wat hulle al jare in die enjin bay het, sonder eenige probleme :thumbup:
Ek het my Thomas in 1998 gekoop en hy loop nog doeksag . :thumbup:
Wonder self wat kos hulle nou want daai tyd was dit R4500 .
legend
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux Raider
Club VHF Licence: Lema,

Post by legend »

george wrote:There is a few guys that have done it.From what i have seen is that only the ARB one really works,but you will have to sell your kidney for that.
Hi there Wayne!

If you got space it would be cool to mount it in the engin bay cause it save you space for the extra something else in the box.
I'f got a dual head compressor in my Cruiser engin bay witch is connected straight onto the battery and no probs :D: :D: :D:
The original crocodile clamps i'f clampt to the battery + AND- witch is so universal to take on and of at any time. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
And remember that the compressor draws so little power that it's not necessary for a relay........Good Luck :wave: :wave:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

And remember that the compressor draws so little power that it's not necessary for a relay........Good Luck :wave: :wave:
:o: :o: :o: :
A 160l compressor on average draws 45 Amp.............. :!: :!: :!:
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

My Airlift 16190 pump looks similar like the Thomas 315 pump.The Airlift 16190 pump delivers 34.0 liters air per minute at 3.5 bar while the Thomas 315 pump 23.4 liters air per minute at 3.5 bar delivers.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

Thanks guys for you input so far.
Anyone got some pics of where and how they have mounted theirs? Im not too sure where to mount it, when I eventually get one.

Another question, although these compressors are rated in 'liters per minute', do you also need to look out for a compressor powerful enough to compensate for the back pressure when filling the tyres ? What sort of rating woudl be adequate ?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

WayneMan wrote:Thanks guys for you input so far.
Anyone got some pics of where and how they have mounted theirs? Im not too sure where to mount it, when I eventually get one.

Another question, although these compressors are rated in 'liters per minute', do you also need to look out for a compressor powerful enough to compensate for the back pressure when filling the tyres ? What sort of rating woudl be adequate ?
Best is to see 'which' compressor you are going to buy, then see if it will fit somewhere in the engine bay. If it's to large for the space then you will either have to look for a smaller / compact one.

IMO T-Max 72l is a very good value / reliable compressor for around 750 zulu's :thumbupAnd it's not to large either. Saw them at 4x4 mega :wink2:
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

If you mount it in the engine bay,let it cool down before you use it.One for R700 will serve the purpose :thumbup:
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Post by merwn »

Nou nie in 'n KZTE nie maar in SFA
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I fitted an air con motor with a bracket in my '94 Hilux D/C with a on/off pull switch in the engine bay, which worked better than any after market compressor. The intake pipe I fitted to run through the air cleaner. Just give it oil occasionally, otherwise it will seize. The 2nd hand ones are readily available from scrapyards & places doing air conditioning. :thumbup:
First Geer did this about 20 years ago on his Cruiser that he was driving when we could still drive on the beaches. :clap:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Just to rock the boat, why don't you mount it behind the rear seat? There is more than enough space there! I have seen one with it's second battery installed there! Believe me that it looks small, but with a little creative thinking there is a lot of space behind the rear seat. Mine currently houses a Pioneer shallow dish 12" sub and next to that a Calibra 4 channel amp to drive it. There is still space there for the stock bottle jack and the tyre wrench and the standard Toyota toolkit. I am sure that you will fit a 160 litre compressor there with ease, and it is about in the middle of the KZ so you will easily reach all 4 tyres! How about that?!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D, Ironman Bumper, OME, Dual Battery, BFG'S, TJM Snorkel, Navstar 220 29mhz radio, LAS Pro Rear Bumper, Frontrunner Roofrack
Club VHF Licence: X82

Post by Blackadder »

Why mount it... :?: :?: :?:

Is the mobility of it not part of the perks...???
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Ek het die ARB locker se compressor in die enjin bay en die cheapy in die bak. Altwee hou goed ( die ARB is so 6 jaar oud en was al in vir n diens ) Die cheapy kom van my vorige voertuig so +- 10jaar oud. Ek gebruik die ARB vir die voorbande en terselfde tyd die agterste een vir die agterbande. Gewoonlik vinniger as om by n vulstasie op te pomp.
Attachments
Photo-0119.jpg
Photo-0119.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

I agree why mount it, I leave mine in its bag, behind my seat, the flexibility of being able to move it and use somewhere else, help someone else out is the best option... :tongue:

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”