KZ-TE Intercooler and Chip

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Shimano
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC125

KZ-TE Intercooler and Chip

Post by Shimano »

Hi,
I am a new member and would like to know if anyone can give me advice on the Steves Auto Clinic intercooler and chip conversion on the KZ-TE.
Is it worth the money and is the difference in power and fuel consuption noticable?
Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: KZ-TE Intercooler and Chip

Post by Niel »

Wynand, welcome to the forum and I can only add the following.
I have not done this myself but I have spoken to a number of chaps that did and they all say it is worth while but I never asked the fuel consumption question. I am sure she will be a bit lighter on fuel as well.

The only thing that bothers me with the intercooler is the placement below the motor. You effectively loose 1.5 cm clearance on the approach. They do fit a thick bash plate but that said I still have my concerns when regularly knocking the bash plate and the damage on the longer term.

Then there is the other school of thought - leave it motor alone. Heard that a few times. Hope this helps.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Shimano,

Welcome to the Forum!

Can't help you with the SAC thing, but Niel is our resident KZ-TE Diesel Expert. I'm sure others will chip in with their advice as well.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel

Post by Niel »

Family_BullDog wrote:but Niel is our resident KZ-TE Diesel Expert.
You say the kindest things, thanks Eric

Wynand, herewith the brochure from SAC.
Attachments
sac_kzte (Large).jpg
sac_kzte_1 (Large).jpg
Shimano
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Shimano »

Thank you for all the info Niel.

Much appreciated.
Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Niel wrote:
Family_BullDog wrote:but Niel is our resident KZ-TE Diesel Expert.
You say the kindest things, thanks Eric
Niel It was meant as an insult actually.
Niel

Post by Niel »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Bennie Bennie :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: '10 Pajero Sport

Post by Rampie »

SAC Vanderbijlpark have done 2 of my vehicles, a 2002 KB250 d/c and the current Hilux 2.5D4D. Excellent value for money, I'm just waiting for the ship to come in, then they'll do Swambo's Vito also.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I have more than 100 000 happy km's with my intercool and chip. Just lots of joy out of this truck.

Fuel comsumption is in the 8.5km/l region, although I heard guys claiming 10....

The new housing for the intercooler is much thicker and stronger than the paper thin stock bashplate.

If you've got the bucks, sommer also fit an EGT gauge.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Shimano
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Shimano »

I have had the conversion done and so far I am impressed. Gained 19KW and 69NM according to the Dyno results on the wheels. Fuel consumption is at 9.3L/100Km - a huge improvement.
Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

The conversion is a very simple process and can actually done by yourself if you feel like it, but I know SAC doen not warrant any fitments done not by them.

The conversion is a very good one and does add a lot off more driveability to the vehicle and should be lighter on diesel if you keep the same driving style afterwards, and not use the extra power all the time.

Regarding the chip, when the chip is fitted, make sure that you get a Bridge plug also for it. have had scenarois where the chip actually has failed and then KZ-TE wont start. The bridge plug bypasses the chip and the tuned settings in the ECU, so it reverts it back to STD.

I have done in the 3 years that I have been at SAC Vanderbiljpark many conversions and almost everybody were really happy with the result.

The only thing that needs to be kept in mind is that due to the position that the intercooler sits, I reccommend that it be cleaned on a regular basis as to avoid grass and mud from blocking the core of the intercooler which in turn leads to "loss of power" due to higher temperature's on the charge air going into the engine.
Johan Marais
Niel

Post by Niel »

JohanM wrote:The only thing that needs to be kept in mind is that due to the position that the intercooler sits, I reccommend that it be cleaned on a regular basis as to avoid grass and mud from blocking the core of the intercooler which in turn leads to "loss of power" due to higher temperature's on the charge air going into the engine.
Johan, the position of the intercooler bothers me as well for the very same raeson and damaging it in off road situations. Where els can the inter cooler be fitted. Also prevention additional turbo lag?
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Neil,

I know when the Prado KZ-TE conversion were done, we put the intercooler ontop of the engine which was better, but the Bonnet of the prado had already the channeling inside it, so that we just fitted ducts in the grill that channelled the air to the intercooler that was sitting ontop of the engine. There were no outside modifications of the vehicle on the Prado's that we did like on the Hilux. Also the intercooler of the prado was slightly bigger that the KZTE hilux intercooler.

You should be able to fit it to yours as well, but then you will have to have the bonnet modified to fit the D4D scoop ontop so that the intercooler gets the cool air by a panelbeater as you will have to cut the bonnet and seal it to prevent rust.

I think it migght actually look nice on your van, a D4D scoop with the intercooler ontop. Just gives it a more butch look..... :twisted: :twisted:
Johan Marais
vastrap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Colt V8

Post by vastrap »

Cirrus of Pretoria manufactures an intercooler that is fitted in front of the radiator, it is also available in diy kit form, fitting mine in September (bonus maand). I also do not like the under bumper location of the SAC cooler.
Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Al Ain
Vehicle: Nissan Pathfinder

Post by Buffalo Soldier »

If I am not mistaken, someone on this forum had a cooler fitted ontop of the engine, with a scoop (tor vanger). If memory serves me correct, it was from an Isuzi. Could someone please direct me to this thread? I want to fit a cooler, but not in front of the existing radiator. It restricts the airflow, causing the engine to run hotter than usual. I would like to get the details about that installation.

Thanks.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Niel

Post by Niel »

vastrap wrote:Cirrus of Pretoria manufactures an intercooler that is fitted in front of the radiator, it is also available in diy kit form
They cost R3900 excl transport from JHB

Apparently Dastek also manufacture intercoolers.

Jan, are you fitting the chip as well? Dastek?
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

what is the size of the inter cooler core used by SAC?
Johannh
Vehicle: KZTE

Post by Johannh »

:cry:
I had the intercoller and chip installed on my 2002 KZTE which made the vehicle a pleasure to drive. I was warned by Toyota that I am to pick up problems and shoul remove the chip I did not. Now after 60000km blew a head gasket. The head is still to be removed to establish any further damage to the head.

Any similar experience or comments pls.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

Johannh wrote::cry:
I had the intercoller and chip installed on my 2002 KZTE which made the vehicle a pleasure to drive. I was warned by Toyota that I am to pick up problems and shoul remove the chip I did not. Now after 60000km blew a head gasket. The head is still to be removed to establish any further damage to the head.

Any similar experience or comments pls.
Johann, I fitted mine about 4 years ago and 110 000 km's later still going strong.
U just have to clean the intercooler everynow and again. At some stage i would like to move mine to the top with a scoop.
One Africa, One Hilux needed :)
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Refer to my post here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9829&p=105341#p105341

Dalk mag daar 'n probleem met jou radiator wees en nou word die coller en chip blameer???

witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: D4D 4x4 Lux + D4D 4x4 Tuna

Post by witmamba »

Hi Manne!
Ek het 'n steve's intercooler en dastek chip te koop vir 'n KZ-TE. Kontak my as daar belangstelling is op o82 4nege2 48o3
Life only starts . . . . where comfortlevels end
J.C Avis
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Otjiwarongo
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux D/c 4x4 3.0 KZ-D-4D. Suspencion lift,160 liter spare tank. Navigator spots. Double battery system. Tour 'trallies'. Spare wheel carrier. Roof rack. Canopy.

Post by J.C Avis »

Ek het ñ sac ombouing op my KZ en die bakkie het al 201000 km op,foutloos. Ek wil net graag weet,hy is voor opgewen met sy torcions en wil graag balljoint spacers insit,gaan dit help dat hy sagter ry?? Dan het hy nie meer so erg spanning op die torcions nie?? Help my reg asb. Agter het hy die veer bo oor die as,lekker vir laai,maar ry soos n plank! Ek wil dit uithaal en shackels langer maak,sal dit werk? Ek wil ook graag weet die dikte van die spacer wat gemaklik is en hoe lank kan mens die shackel in mm langer maak. Ek het Brighstones A/T op en op my speedo kry ek 160km/h,is dit normaal vir n geligte bakkie met die tipe bande en sac conversion? Dis 15 duim,265. Ek is nuut op die forum en wil more probeer my bakkie se foto op te laai,maar weet nie waar om te begin nie????
J.C Avis
Rooikappie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Table View - CT
Vehicle: 4x4 3.0KZ-TE 2002

Post by Rooikappie »

Japie dit is baie interessante vrae wat jy het.
Ek sal graag ook meer wil weet ivm die torsion bars , agter vere , ens , maar ek dink ons gaan nie AL die antwoorde hier kry nie.
Miskien kan jy 'n nuwe OPSKRIF maak en dan hierdie vrae vra.
Jy sal dan die regte mense kry wat daarin belangstel om KZE te lig, ens.

Ek hou ook dop vir antwoorde hier......
Ek het net 1x ekstra agter bladveer in en torsion bars opgestel.Ry lekker sag.. (dit is mos 'n LUX , nie Merc nie.)
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Post by Tsa »

Morning All!

I also have a question regarding the SAC chips. Anyone have more details on these chips? I have KZTE with SAC chip and intercooler fitted (bought it like that). I get about 7km/l, 8 if I'm lucky. So was suggested to me to take it to SAC for them to check the "settings" on the chip, they might be out.

Anyone know of someone closer to Dville, Bellville, Brackenfell that is able to do these tests as well? Milnerton and arranging transport back and forth is an issue : (

Thanks
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Tsa wrote:Morning All!

I also have a question regarding the SAC chips. Anyone have more details on these chips? I have KZTE with SAC chip and intercooler fitted (bought it like that). I get about 7km/l, 8 if I'm lucky. So was suggested to me to take it to SAC for them to check the "settings" on the chip, they might be out.

Anyone know of someone closer to Dville, Bellville, Brackenfell that is able to do these tests as well? Milnerton and arranging transport back and forth is an issue : (

Thanks
Hi Richard
You can also try these guys http://www.gandcauto.co.za/frameset.htm
I dont have experience with them,but they do the Dastek thing
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Post by Tsa »

Thanks George

After doing a bit of searching I also saw G&Cauto, Koos Swanepoel Dev and Dynotech.
Between these the prices have ranged from R600 - R1083.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I've had a horrible experience with G&C(to the tune of 16K!!... they couldn't rebuild a 4Y!!), as have many other people, as I found out after my incident! Stay far away!

I've done business with DynoTech, even though you have to wait for an appointment, Isak know his story!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mr_B wrote:I've had a horrible experience with G&C(to the tune of 16K!!... they couldn't rebuild a 4Y!!), as have many other people, as I found out after my incident! Stay far away!

I've done business with DynoTech, even though you have to wait for an appointment, Isak know his story!
Thanks B.Aint this forum GREAT :yahoo:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
muntu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux KZTE 4X4 D/C

Post by muntu »

Hi,
I bought a 2002 KZTE 4X4 last week. It has 169,000 Km's on it…..It came with that Dastek chip with Intercooler and has cruise control (after mod, sits on top of the gear lever). When I drove it first, I noticed it had a lot of power and low fuel consumption (it also had a small whistling noise). That all changed since yesterday when I noticed it started to have a bit less power and oil stains on the left side of the engine (left, standing in front of the engine).

I took it to a diesel mechanic here in Breedel and he confirmed my fear, the turbo had packed up. He also noticed that the two rubber pipes going to the intercooler were actual water coolant pipes and were the wrong pipes.

He will have my KZ sorted by Friday he says. The vehicle has a traceable Toyota service history up to 135,000 Km's and I just serviced the vehicle myself yesterday, the 170,000 Km's service (requires oil, fuel and air filter to be replaced). Toyota in Dunswart ran a diagnostic on the car and said it has absolutely no problems and all engine parameters were perfect (they did warn me that they would not be able to pick up if the turbo was on its way out.

What would you guys recommend that I do in regards with the service history gap (is there a way I can see what has to be done to the car from 135,000 Km's up to now) and second should I ask the mechanic to disconnect the chip and drive it as a normal vehicle?

Your input much appreciated! :thumbup:
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Don't take out the chip, and get a 2nd opinion on the turbo. Blew my ECU and "Mechanic" wanted to overhaul the engine, replace the turbo etc. etc. 160 K later standing on 320 K still running strong :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
muntu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux KZTE 4X4 D/C

Post by muntu »

Thanks Louis!! When driving with this chip in, what is the best rpm to drive at and shift gears at? I don't want to destroy the engine as this thing seems to have a lot of power. Also do I need to change the oil every 5000 km's instead of 10,000 km's?
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

I change oil every 10 000. Revs is not the problem - if you take it too high the truck gets thirsty. EGT (Exhaust gas temp) is the bugger. If it is too high you can crack the head.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”