2,7 Hilux 2004 converted 4x2 to 4x4

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

2,7 Hilux 2004 converted 4x2 to 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Hi all,

I've add some photos of the project, sorry I did not take more detailed photo's. Hope this will help.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Re: 2,7 Hilux 2004 converted 4x2 to 4x4

Post by WayneSchalk »

dont see da pics? :?: :ttwwp:
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toppie4x4 »

ooops let me try again.
Attachments
Torsion bar.jpg
Gearbox mounting bracket 4x4.jpg
Front diff bracket.jpg
drive shaft 001.jpg
Front Diff right bracket welded bolted.jpg
left front diff bracket welded bolted.jpg
Chassis.jpg
Donor vehicle.jpg
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Converting my 2004 Hilux 2.7 4x2 to 4x4.
Bought a donor vehicle 2002 DC 2.7 4x4 with damaged engine for R40,000
Interior was also bad and my idea was to use the chassis, stripped it and send off to the galvanisers.
BUT to many issues with registration papers and the galvanisers informed me that the chassis number will not be visible anymore???!!!
Decided to keep my chassis as my had low km and I know that the suspension was 100%
It is a lot of work to swop chassis and according to me not worth all the effort.
Removed the following: front diff, hubs and cross member
4x4 gearbox cross member fitted with gearbox and transfer case fitted.
Cross member is bend at a different angel as the gearbox is longer. Same mountings use on chassis.
Remember you will need to fit a longer speedo cable (an awkward job to get it fitted) but luckily found a tread on the forum and it saved me s lot of time.
Front diff bracket centre. Remove old bracket, fit 4x4 bracket with mounting for front diff mounting. This will ensure correct position of diff. Fits exactly the same position.
Keep diff in position with trolley jack, lift and bolt left and right bracket onto diff. Lift diff until brackets are in line with chassis.
Mark with permanent marker. I’ve drilled a hole through chassis and installed a high tenstile bolt 12x 120mm with body washers to secure. Be care full not to damaged the brake line.
Remove front diff and take vehicle to welder (exhaust place like supa quick assist me)
Rust treatment and painted black. Refit front diff.
Existing Torsion bar was already bend/kinked to allow space for drive shaft, not sure if all models are like this.
We had difficulties when trying to remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold ( two bolts broken, had to used a special tool to remove) maybe spray a lot of Q20 a day or two in advance.
I’ve replaced the pilot bearing on the gearbox (just because it s cheap bearing and to do it later will be a costly exercise.
Clutch and pressure plate for the 4x4 and 4x2 is exactly the same, so I kept mine.
The rear driveshaft centre bearing bracket is part of the chassis and was +- 60 mm to close to the gearbox. I had to make an extension. Use 2.5mm stainless steel and bolt it onto the existing bracket with HT 25x8mm bolts using lock nuts yellow arrow.
Blue arrow existing mounting bolt for 4x2 centre bearing.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

On Gumtree someone is advertising 2.7 front diff, and gearbox (think with transfer case) for R7000.
zasteenberg wrote:Converting my 2004 Hilux 2.7 4x2 to 4x4.
Bought a donor vehicle 2002 DC 2.7 4x4 with damaged engine for R40,000
Interior was also bad and my idea was to use the chassis, stripped it and send off to the galvanisers.
BUT to many issues with registration papers and the galvanisers informed me that the chassis number will not be visible anymore???!!!
Decided to keep my chassis as my had low km and I know that the suspension was 100%
It is a lot of work to swop chassis and according to me not worth all the effort.
Removed the following: front diff, hubs and cross member
4x4 gearbox cross member fitted with gearbox and transfer case fitted.
Cross member is bend at a different angel as the gearbox is longer. Same mountings use on chassis.
Remember you will need to fit a longer speedo cable (an awkward job to get it fitted) but luckily found a tread on the forum and it saved me s lot of time.
Front diff bracket centre. Remove old bracket, fit 4x4 bracket with mounting for front diff mounting. This will ensure correct position of diff. Fits exactly the same position.
Keep diff in position with trolley jack, lift and bolt left and right bracket onto diff. Lift diff until brackets are in line with chassis.
Mark with permanent marker. I’ve drilled a hole through chassis and installed a high tenstile bolt 12x 120mm with body washers to secure. Be care full not to damaged the brake line.
Remove front diff and take vehicle to welder (exhaust place like supa quick assist me)
Rust treatment and painted black. Refit front diff.
Existing Torsion bar was already bend/kinked to allow space for drive shaft, not sure if all models are like this.
We had difficulties when trying to remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold ( two bolts broken, had to used a special tool to remove) maybe spray a lot of Q20 a day or two in advance.
I’ve replaced the pilot bearing on the gearbox (just because it s cheap bearing and to do it later will be a costly exercise.
Clutch and pressure plate for the 4x4 and 4x2 is exactly the same, so I kept mine.
The rear driveshaft centre bearing bracket is part of the chassis and was +- 60 mm to close to the gearbox. I had to make an extension. Use 2.5mm stainless steel and bolt it onto the existing bracket with HT 25x8mm bolts using lock nuts yellow arrow.
Blue arrow existing mounting bolt for 4x2 centre bearing.
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

I often thought about converting my 2.7i 2x4 DC Legend 35 to 4x4 for the very same reason. I bought my 2x4 new and it had less than 80k on the clock. In the end I bought a 4x4 Legend 35 on an auction and used my 2x4 as a clone.
I decided to go this route because everyone told me the 2x4 to 4x4 conversion would devalue the vehicle and you'd battle to get all the added bits like airbags, abs, electric mirror's etc installed and working.
Ended up selling the 2x4 for R140k and paid off the 4x4.

Still miss the 2x4 because it was immaculate when I sold it.
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”