Help! Dual battery system question

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Help! Dual battery system question

Post by grobbepj »

I recently added a second battery to the back of my bakkie and wanted to install a solenoid in line to prevent my main battery from running down when the car is not driving.

I first installed a solenoid and it got very hot after a few minutes. I was then told that its because the solenoid is not rated for continous use.

I then replaced it this with a proper cole hersee solenoid at a significant more costs. But now after ten minutes or so it also seem to be getting hot. Is this normal? Should i be worried about this?

Does anybody elses gets hot? I was told this was the same solenoid as in the national luna system without the gauges and timer etc. does the NL one gets hot??

I am leaving for a 2 hour trip or so tomorrow and am worried whether i should just remove the solenoid again and just cut my losses and revert back to unplugging the cable every time i stop??

Any help/ suggestions will be appreciated.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398769971.068906.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398769971.068906.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
The solenoid I have now installed...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Help! Dual battery system question

Post by george »

They do get hot.
From there site
The coil circuit (control circuit) in a continuous duty solenoid is usually energized for long periods of time. Under these conditions the coil will generate heat and within less than an hour the solenoid housing will become hot to the touch. This is normal. Always make sure that all wiring is properly sized for the load it is carrying, that the terminals are the correct size and have been securely crimped to the wire, that the terminals have the proper torque to the solenoid studs.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

george wrote:They do get hot.
From there site
The coil circuit (control circuit) in a continuous duty solenoid is usually energized for long periods of time. Under these conditions the coil will generate heat and within less than an hour the solenoid housing will become hot to the touch. This is normal. Always make sure that all wiring is properly sized for the load it is carrying, that the terminals are the correct size and have been securely crimped to the wire, that the terminals have the proper torque to the solenoid studs.
Thanks George. Now I feel a bit better...
Mmmmm just wondering if the previous one was not the right one in any event...
RTFM (read the flippen manual) I guess.
Its amazing how other people seem to get this info effortlessly and google does not seem to be my friend. Hence this great forum.
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Mine get hot as well... but keep the first one as a spare..those do tend to brake at the most un-opportune times!!
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”