Lexus V8 manual drivetrain setup

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Lexus V8 manual drivetrain setup

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Good day all,
Louis here. New to the forum. Happy to be here.

I very recently became (almost by chance) the owner of a "brand new second hand" 98 IFS d/c 4x4 3000D - 1UZ Lexus conversion.

The motor purs like a kitten when idling and growls like a lion when given some gas! Hence - GRWLR ZN :mrgreen:

However, the standard gearbox and diffs setup (4.885 ) is not the best setup. 3600rpm at 122km/h (GPS speed)
The gearbox gets hot, to the point that gearing gets very tight. Drove from Pretoria back home to Richards Bay and it looks like 2nd gear syncro has gone already.

I need advice please, any ideas, contact numbers, sites that can point me in the right direction to resolving this issue. I want to stay manual 4x4.
Just change out diff ratios or full drive train revamp?? :beg:

GRWLR ZN
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Lexus V8 manual drivetrain setup

Post by Mud Dog »

The diesel gearboxes are normally a bit longer in the legs and a bit tougher to handle the torque of the diesel motors. However I'm not too sure about the box on the old 5L motor, but the KZTE box works well with the Lexus. The diffs might be a bit on the weaker side as well, especially if you like the "growl" too much - the KZ diffs might be better if not the same as already fitted.

You could change the diff ratios for longer legs on the open road, but that's pricey - another option would be to fit bigger tyres like 33's but bear in mind that this will add a little extra strain to the drive-train. Cheapest option is to drive with a light foot. :D:

Gear boxes get hot generally, so I wouldn't be too concerned there unless it starts to smell of overheated oil. The oil in the box however could be the reason for the 'notchy' gear change. Replace with correct spec or better oil. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Thanx for the advice Mud Dog. :thumbup:

I have heard about the KZ boxes that work well. I think the 5l however had a higher torque drivetrain setup due to the motor being so under powered.
I do love the growl, but being a diesel mech myself i know full well the possible results of too much of a good thing.
The cabin smells of burnt gear oil and the gearbox has been done before, its obvious by the horrible silver paint job. :slap:
i have phoned around, there are two local gearbox centres who are willing to help if i can get the correct ratios to them. i at least have some cash to try sort it. I can do the work myself, however, in my experience diffs are something to leave up to the guys in the know.
I am definitely going to do that oil change on the box in the meantime. I honestly do not believe that it has the best oil in to begin with, as you said.

I will post what ive learned and if i do get a winning setup will definitely give all the specs. :cooldude:
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Spoke to Jannie from J&M Lexus V8 conversions in Pretoria and he says either 4.1 or 4.3 diff ratios are best.
this is the third time that the 4.3 diff ratio has been confirmed to me to be the best one to go for. all depends how much of the low end torque one is willing to sacrifice ...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

GRWLR ZN wrote:Spoke to Jannie from J&M Lexus V8 conversions in Pretoria and he says either 4.1 or 4.3 diff ratios are best.
this is the third time that the 4.3 diff ratio has been confirmed to me to be the best one to go for. all depends how much of the low end torque one is willing to sacrifice ...
This is a significant consideration if you are going to use the vehicle off-road.

The benefits of bigger tyres on the other hand (you will also loose some low end) is that you gain a little ride height and with that slightly improved ground clearance as well as approach, departure and break-over angles. You also gain a fraction better off-road capability (a big tyre doesn't drop as far into a hole as a smaller one), and with the higher profile you can get a slightly bigger footprint in sand when deflating. Depending on the size, you might bring your speedo more in line with actual speed. Replacing tyres is also a lot cheaper than tampering with diff ratios. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

At the moment i am not planning any serious off roading for at least the next two years. my use at the moment will be taking the family and dogs down to the beach on Saturdays, the occasional game reserve visit and general travels sometimes as far as Pretoria. So, in short , a weekend runaround and occasional traveler.

You make a valid point about the tyre sizes and i am seriously going to investigate further. i have not committed to any set plan as yet. I am a diesel mech by trade so that would keep the costs of diff fettling down as i just have to source the correct spares. Labour is free.
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Quick question.
The motor is due for service. What engine oil is best for these motors in our hot SA weather conditions. On a good day in peak summer time in the Bay we can get upwards of 38 degrees C. I would think it would be a synthetic for sure?
Recomended spark plugs?

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”