BILLET GRILLE FOR 2003 HILUX

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

BILLET GRILLE FOR 2003 HILUX

Post by JAMES399 »

The 2003 Hilux 4x4 is (in my opinion) one of the best looking trucks that Toyota ever produced. The trouble is ... there are a lot of white 2003 Hi Riders just like mine driving around here, and I always want whatever I’m driving to stand out from the crowd. So I decided to fab a custom grille.

Aluminum billet grilles were hot 10 years ago, and I still like that look a lot. No one makes an aftermarket billet grille for a Hilux. I found a 2003 Tacoma billet insert that I thought I could modify on Ebay for $37 USD, so I ordered one. When it arrived, I pulled the grille from my truck and set out to make the mod.
grille insert.png

First I made certain that the Tacoma insert could be modified to fit. Then removed the stock center section using a hand hacksaw and a tool for cutting sheet plastic.
md grille.png
After cleaning up the rough edges, fitted the aftermarket Tacoma insert to the Hilux shell. Had to remove two bars from the top of the insert, and shorten the other bars by 1” on each side.
grille cut.png
Fabricated two retainers from 1” aluminum angle stock, and fitted the insert to the grille shell.
retainer.png

I repainted the black portion of the shell , and installed the insert.
paint grille.png
assembled grille.png
Reinstalled the modified grille on the truck. I put the Toyota emblem from the stock grille on the billet to give the finished product a “factory” look. The chrome billet insert definitely gives the truck a custom look, and is exactly what I wanted.

STOCK GRILLE
old grille.png
old grille.png (184.39 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
BILLET GRILLE
new grille.png
new grille.png (213.46 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

This was a fun project that only took a few hours, and the end result really exceeded my expectations.

- JAMES
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Re: BILLET GRILLE FOR 2003 HILUX

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Nice personalisation of your vehicle.
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: BILLET GRILLE FOR 2003 HILUX

Post by Family_Dog »

I agree, it looks much better with the new grill. The old look had a bit of a toothless-grin appearance.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”