4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
vastrap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Colt V8

4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Post by vastrap »

Hi everybody. I want to convert a 2.7 Hilux 2002 from 4x2 to 4x4. Has any one out there done it. Are you happy with the result? By my reconing it should not be to difficult. N1 4x4 sells all the parts needed for R28500.00
Is there anyone cheaper?
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: 4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Post by JohanM »

Hello Jan, welcome to the Forum!!!

I would say that it is not to difficult, however if you do it yourself and have the time it might be worthwhile looking into converting your vehicle, but from a reliability view it might be better to sell your hilux and buy a 4x4 model.

This topic has been discussed here before, but it will still be your choice.
Johan Marais
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Hello jan en welkom by die forum. Soos Johan se, dis al 'n paar keer hier bespreek en hier is lede wat dit al suksesvol gedoen het. Krap maar so bietjie rond en jy sal die antwoorde kry wat jy soek. Ek weet Hoppy is ook besig om sy KZTE van 4x2 na 4x4 te convert. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote:Ek weet Hoppy is ook besig om sy KZTE van 4x2 na 4x4 te convert. :thumbup: :thumbup:
At the speed Alan is going with the project, I think he believes in re-incarnation! :twisted:

It's probably cause his always busy with KasPaas and Bucket...

B :D:
vastrap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Colt V8

Post by vastrap »

Dankie manne, ek het nou net al die ou besprekings deur gelees en soos tereg opgemerk is is dit al tevore bespreek. Maar... ek kry niemand wat kan se ja ek het dit gedoen en dit is wat jy kan verwag nie. Daar is 'n paar plekke wat dit doen maar ek hou van self doen en sal dit graag self wil aanpak. As ek die ratkas ruil met 'n 4x4 kas wil ek ook die ou een in my Chev C10 in bou. Daai V8 kort 'n 5de rat.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hallo Jan,

Ja, dit kan gedoen word en is glad nie so moeilik nie(vertel die wat dit reeds gedoen het!) Ek is op die nippertie om myne te doen, het net 'n klein foutjie gemaak met die koop van die ratkas(4Y met KZ bellhousing...)

N1 is nie noodwendig die goedkoopste nie! Shop rond, jy sal verbaas wees om te sien hoeveel jy kan spaar met bietjie moeite.

Bel my, ek kan jou verwys na 'n paar ouens wat die ombouings doen. 0 agt drie 4177 vier 69.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

At the speed Alan is going with the project, I think he believes in re-incarnation!
:lol: :lol:

Ja wat Jan .... it's often the better choice to sell the 2x4 and buy as close to what you're looking for in a 4x4 and then bring about any further mods at leisure. This is also more often the cheaper route. The only time I'm inclined to advise otherwise is when you have specific mods planned, or are looking to have a project, with time in hand to spare for it, and there is no rush to use the vehicle.

M2CW
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

If you convert a 2wd to a 4x4, it will devalue the 2wd, you will never get your money back that you have spent and I would never buy a 2wd that has been converted to a 4x4, rather take the other guys advice and buy a 4x4 that is manufactured new to be a 4x4, but you do what is best for you, but remember while you are busy in your garage converting your 2wd, us guys are out busy 4x4ing and enjoying our time, but everybody to their ways and means, maybe you want to have this sought of headache to keep your mind off other things, or just for the hell of it you want to be able to achieve something that you can say that you did yourself.
All the best 8 )
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
WerMos
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider

Post by WerMos »

vastrap wrote:Hi everybody. I want to convert a 2.7 Hilux 2002 from 4x2 to 4x4. Has any one out there done it. Are you happy with the result? By my reconing it should not be to difficult. N1 4x4 sells all the parts needed for R28500.00
Is there anyone cheaper?
Hallo Jan

Ek het so jaar of wat dit gedoen en is baie tevrede, al verskil wat jy sal sien is dat op myne staan "2700i 4x4" en die ander "4x4 2700i" my single cab 4x4 het ook elektriese vensters en bucked seats anders as die normale een! Die tipe diff locks verskil ook. Weet nie of die normale 4x4 se diff lock in 4x2 werk nie, maar myne werk in 4x4 en 4x2.

My totale koste was + - R19 000 maar ek het dit self gedoen!

My Hilux het nou al +- 43 000 km gehardloop as 'n 4x4, met GEEN GEEN probleme, maar wat verwag ek dit is mos 'n HILUX!!!

Ek is 100% tevrede en trots!!!

Ek wil graag in die toekoms vir my 'n 3.0 D-4D D/C koop en hom ook ombou na 'n 4x4 toe!

Sterkte en groete!!
Attachments
Picture 029.JPG
Picture 029.JPG (31.68 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Picture 036.jpg
Picture 036.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Picture 033.jpg
Picture 033.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

43 000 km gehardloop as 'n 4x4

How much on tar and how much off road?

At least I can see that you know what you are doing, maybe have you considered fitting a Marlin Crawler kit as well, is there enouigh space to do this mod on your blue bakkie? This would be an interesting mod as well.

Looks great, well done.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
WerMos
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider

Post by WerMos »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:43 000 km gehardloop as 'n 4x4

How much on tar and how much off road?

At least I can see that you know what you are doing, maybe have you considered fitting a Marlin Crawler kit as well, is there enouigh space to do this mod on your blue bakkie? This would be an interesting mod as well.

Looks great, well done.
Hi Simoan

Wat ek bedoel is die bakkie het nou al 43 000 km gedoen nadat hy omgebou is na 'n 4x4 toe, ek skat dat seker 4% van die kilos 4x4 werk was. Ek het regtig geen probleme na die ombouing gehad nie!

Wat presies is die "Marlin Crawler kit" Is dit 'n diff lock vir die voorste diff??

Groete

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”