Now the fun begins

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Jy moet ook onthou as jy die agterkant van jou trok lig met 35mm, sal die voorkant ook met so 10mm lig (sonder om iets te doen aan die voorste gedeelte)

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D, Full OME suspension, Front ARB air lockers, 265/75/16 BFG,ARB replacement Front bumper, Alu canopy, DC2DC duel battery charger system, Long range tank. Solar Panels, Ostrich awning, Drawer system, Airbags, Outback back bumper, roof top tent
ORRA Call Sign: X84

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:38 am

OOOOMS wrote:Barry, what seize spacers did you fit in front?
Mark I think they are 40mm

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D, Full OME suspension, Front ARB air lockers, 265/75/16 BFG,ARB replacement Front bumper, Alu canopy, DC2DC duel battery charger system, Long range tank. Solar Panels, Ostrich awning, Drawer system, Airbags, Outback back bumper, roof top tent

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:59 am

Been a long time since I posted anything useful so I thought an update is in order. I got rid of the Howling moon roof top tent. I just had enough of opening it up and packing it away. The opening is not to bad but to pack it away in the morning works up a sweat. Then one has to drive all day. Not very nice.

I replaced it with a Bundutec "Push the button and the tent folds out. Push the button and it folds down". 200% improvement. Bed is permanently made up and takes about 30 seconds to open or close.

I also managed to get a deep dish rim which I liked. (Yup I know some guys dont like the bling) I also had a 50mm body lift done. This all look great and I am not sorry that I done it (YET) but it come with its own small problems. My fridge is on a sliding bracket on top of the draw system. After the 50mm body lift with the tyres air bags and OME suspension we can no longer see into the fridge without using a small step ladder.

I have also fitted an LED light bar.

The plan now is to remove the draw system as I dont think the additional weight of the draws justify them and also it will allow me to drop the level of the fridge.
I will post some pics later. I also dont think that you gain any space with the draw system.

Some more negative thing I have done. I placed the second battery and a small ARB compressor in the engine bay. This along with the extra relays and wiring for the spot lights makes thing messy. My advise is not to install any big items in the engine bay. Just to open the fuse box now is a mission. I also have an aftermarket bumper with an additional spare wheel fitted. I am not convinced this was worth the money. (It looks good)
My advise it to place the extra battery and compressor and inverter in the load bin with a plug that it can easy removed. (too late for me to do this)

Tenk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hilux Country
Vehicle: 07 hilux dc 4L v6 manuel, alu canopy, rock/s, full ome sport, Hoppy s/s custom exhaust, 33 grabber muds, compressor, exstra 80L f/t, dual battery,body lift,redpepper bumper,custom sound with sub,afternarket touchscreen entertain unit, dynoteck chip 188kw

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:03 pm

Dankie vir al die terugvoer en info, ek glo ook nie daaraan, om die wiel te herontwerp nie, en neem dus kennis van ander se ervaringe/ondervinding. n Vraag wat ek jou wil vra is aangaande die arb bumper, kortwiek dit jou enigsins wat die praktiese betref, aangesien dit n entjie voorentoe uitstaan. Ek oorweeg n soorgelyke in die ironman, maar jy kry custom bumpers wat baie goed gebou word, wat ligter weeg en beter clearance het. Wat se jy?

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:04 pm

IMG-20141110-WA0003.jpg
After body lift and 10j -38mm ofset mags
IMG-20141110-WA0000.jpg
After Body lift 50mm
20141025_153146.JPG
Draw system which will now come out
20141025_153146.JPG (283.37 KiB) Viewed 889 times
20141025_152939.JPG
Tent and Awning
20141025_152939.JPG (272.53 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Tenk wrote:Dankie vir al die terugvoer en info, ek glo ook nie daaraan, om die wiel te herontwerp nie, en neem dus kennis van ander se ervaringe/ondervinding. n Vraag wat ek jou wil vra is aangaande die arb bumper, kortwiek dit jou enigsins wat die praktiese betref, aangesien dit n entjie voorentoe uitstaan. Ek oorweeg n soorgelyke in die ironman, maar jy kry custom bumpers wat baie goed gebou word, wat ligter weeg en beter clearance het. Wat se jy?
I needed a solid strong bumper to mount a winch and also a tow hitch. I use my bakkie to surf launch my 19' cat. This is why I opted for the ARB. On the negative side, this is not a light bumper, add to this the weight of the winch and front tow hitch and you loose all the suspension lift that the heavy duty OME suspension gave you.

On the positive side with the suspension lift, body lift, bigger tyres and big front bumper I have yet to have a taxi try and squeeze in front of me.

As mentioned in my previous post I am now going to take out the draw system. I also have a slide which holds 2 or 4 ammo boxes which is mounted above where I keep my solar panels.

I am going to remove all of this. I will then mount the fridge slide flat in the load bin. I am also going to mount my two solar panel directly and permanently on top of the tent. This will mean they can be left permanently on. I am a bit concerned about theft but this will be minimized because I dont use the bakkie daily. We only use it for getaways.

Anyhow lets hear your comments on my proposals. You can see the draw system and ammo boxes in one of the pics i have posted above

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Baie netjies Barry :drool: :drool: :thumbup:

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
ORRA Call Sign: HC101

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Those photos do not really do Barry's 'Lux justice. It is a MONSTER! I saw it a week or so ago when Barry popped by at the shop. Very striking vehicle!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 am

My front suspension has given up and sagged. (Het gaan le) I have an ARB front bumper and winch on the front. Has anyone or any company got some advise on what aftermarket suspension kit to fit. It currently has OME which has lasted for 70K-75k KM. I am not to keen spending so much on a suspension system that only last for this amount of KM.

I am looking at the TOUGH DOG system but I am still open to all advise. I know the is a lot of extra weight up front so my question is which system will be able to handle it. Has anyone got first hand experience with the TOUGH DOG system. (http://www.conqueror.co.za/oppositelock.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Thanks

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
ORRA Call Sign: HC129

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi Barry,
Have just for the first time been looking at your thread and have really enjoyed reading about all your mods...
Can you not get air susp helpers for the front susp of your Lux?
Will be looking at this as I will also probably need to go this route in future as my vehicle is also a designated camping vehicle and stays loaded with the basics permanently.
A clam shell RTT could also have worked for you, but there is nothing wrong with your latest aquisition...
I only need to load the food & drink to get away.
Am now fitting a third battery which will be joining the second battery under the vehicle, which I will alternate usuge with the second battery...
Batteries 2 or 3 will be able to be used as back up for the starter battery should it give up the ghost.
I also do not use drawers as they waste a lot of space, instead I make use of shelves in which I use more user friendly smaller plastic boxes for the groceries, in place of the Ammo boxes.
Happy Camping,
Edge
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Update time: I have removed the canopy and bundu electric tent with awning completely. They are now sitting in my garage taking up space. Also as mentioned the African outback drawer system was removed. I purchased a Echo extreme caravan and this seems to be work for us now. I also removed the 60 liter water tank and pump so the load bin is now empty.
With all the extra weight removed I now need a step ladder to get in and out.

I had the performance UNI chip installed a long time ago. The performance and Turbo lag have progressively got worse over the years. I really notice it when I tow the boat. This is when you really smell the clutch burning. It was also heavy on diesel. I rode past an exhaust shop and they had a big sign up offering a 74 mm (might be 72 mm cannot remember) free flow exhaust for R2800.
Well now......what a difference in performance......this thing fly's now . I really cannot explain the difference. I dont know if the fuel consumption got better because I am driving much faster now. WOW. I should of done this a long time ago. (install free flow and remove cat) I also took it back to Dastek to get it re-tuned after I installed the free-flow (about 10 days later). I had them install the 5 switch selectable mapping with new generation chip. Do not really feel to much difference between the new and old chip but I like the mode they have for towing. It kind of scales things down a bit.

I do tow quite a lot and I wonder if this and the CAT did not get along. I am thinking maybe the CAT got all blocked up over time and hence the progressively poor performance.

I have the front Tupperware bumper, the rear Legend 40 stainless bumber, some rims and drawer system up for sale if anyone is interested. I cannot bring myself to sell the canopy , Bundu tent and awning just yet.
Once again I will highlight that I do not recommend anyone installing duel battery's and compressor in the engine compartment. I have never had a problem with the installation but now that it is all used and dirty it looks busy in there and messy.

Some feed back on other items. Good and not so good.
The firestone air suspension really works well and have never given me any problems .
Front lockers are nice to play with. I switched them in while going over an obstical and the tyre which was free bit in and bent the lower control arm when the wheel caught on a rock. (Lesson learnt)
Winch has never given a days problem. I use it mainly to pull the boat back onto the trailer.
National Luna fridge is running strong. Had to reseal it on the inside.
Engel fridge also running well. Two of the plastic clips which hold the lid closed have broken so far.
Aftermarket bumper with two spare wheel carriers is a pain in the butt. I have removed one . I am even thinking of removing the other one and only using them when we go on vacation.
Light bar works like a charm. Make sure you buy a good quality one. Some made in China one do not really perform that well.
DC2DC charger has also just worked without a days problem.
Two way radios which I got from Mad Dog for Boat and Bakkie working like a charm still.

If ever I had to do this again here is a list of thing I would do again:
Suspension: but I would do my homework as to what make
Winch: For the boat and also peace of mind.
Larger Tyre's for the ground clearance.
Two way radio: Nice to have and also for Boat
Front lockers: Nice to have and nice to play with.
Free-Flow exhaust with CAT removed: Once the vehicle get a little older. Dont think it will make such a difference when new.
Aftermarket front bumper: Looks good, frightens Taxis and holds winch
Light Bar Led light: Will never have another vehicle without them.
Roof Rack on cab roof: I never though I would like this but it has proved to be very handy over the years.
Air suspension will be one of the first thing that gets done.
Things I will not do again:
Aftermarket back bumper. Just not a lot of benefit for every day use
Drawer system. Heavy and not really saving space
Dual Battery system in engine compartment. Battery in load bin with plugs so it can be removed when not in use.
Deep cycle batteries. I will just use normal battery and beef up the alternator.
50mm Body lift. Looks cool allows you to add bigger tyres with mods but you cannot get in your car. You have to climb in, Becomes a pain in the butt.
Roof top tent of any sort. Becomes a pain in the butt.
270 degree plus awning. Again just to big. Normal small one is just fine.
Big Aluminium canopy. Really not worth it if you are not going to be using it daily for what it was designed. Normal canopy is just fine.

I hope this will help new guys thinking of doing then mods. These mods cost an arm and a leg so think carefully. Also do you homework with respect to using a trailer. Add all the mods to the trailer, this way when it come time to sell the vehicle you still have your camping gear. It is also as quick as just hook it up and go for the week end. Trailers / offroad caravans also have the negative point so once again do your home work.
If I think of anything else I will edit this post.

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3lt D4D DC 4X4

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 am

Good post thanks.

Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks for the good feedback!
Some good lessons to be learn't here!

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...

pieta.swanepoel
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SRX 2.5D-4D 4x4 SC

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:44 am

Nice to read your observations. Thank you
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”

• Information