Now the fun begins

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Now the fun begins

Post by OOOOMS »

Jy moet ook onthou as jy die agterkant van jou trok lig met 35mm, sal die voorkant ook met so 10mm lig (sonder om iets te doen aan die voorste gedeelte)
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

OOOOMS wrote:Barry, what seize spacers did you fit in front?
Mark I think they are 40mm
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Been a long time since I posted anything useful so I thought an update is in order. I got rid of the Howling moon roof top tent. I just had enough of opening it up and packing it away. The opening is not to bad but to pack it away in the morning works up a sweat. Then one has to drive all day. Not very nice.

I replaced it with a Bundutec "Push the button and the tent folds out. Push the button and it folds down". 200% improvement. Bed is permanently made up and takes about 30 seconds to open or close.

I also managed to get a deep dish rim which I liked. (Yup I know some guys dont like the bling) I also had a 50mm body lift done. This all look great and I am not sorry that I done it (YET) but it come with its own small problems. My fridge is on a sliding bracket on top of the draw system. After the 50mm body lift with the tyres air bags and OME suspension we can no longer see into the fridge without using a small step ladder.

I have also fitted an LED light bar.

The plan now is to remove the draw system as I dont think the additional weight of the draws justify them and also it will allow me to drop the level of the fridge.
I will post some pics later. I also dont think that you gain any space with the draw system.

Some more negative thing I have done. I placed the second battery and a small ARB compressor in the engine bay. This along with the extra relays and wiring for the spot lights makes thing messy. My advise is not to install any big items in the engine bay. Just to open the fuse box now is a mission. I also have an aftermarket bumper with an additional spare wheel fitted. I am not convinced this was worth the money. (It looks good)
My advise it to place the extra battery and compressor and inverter in the load bin with a plug that it can easy removed. (too late for me to do this)
Tenk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hilux Country
Vehicle: 07 hilux dc 4L v6 manuel, alu canopy, rock/s, full ome sport, Hoppy s/s custom exhaust, 33 grabber muds, compressor, exstra 80L f/t, dual battery,body lift,redpepper bumper,custom sound with sub,afternarket touchscreen entertain unit, dynoteck chip 188kw

Post by Tenk »

Dankie vir al die terugvoer en info, ek glo ook nie daaraan, om die wiel te herontwerp nie, en neem dus kennis van ander se ervaringe/ondervinding. n Vraag wat ek jou wil vra is aangaande die arb bumper, kortwiek dit jou enigsins wat die praktiese betref, aangesien dit n entjie voorentoe uitstaan. Ek oorweeg n soorgelyke in die ironman, maar jy kry custom bumpers wat baie goed gebou word, wat ligter weeg en beter clearance het. Wat se jy?
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

After body lift and 10j -38mm ofset mags
After body lift and 10j -38mm ofset mags
After Body lift 50mm
After Body lift 50mm
Draw system which will now come out
Draw system which will now come out
20141025_153146.JPG (283.37 KiB) Viewed 8322 times
Tent and Awning
Tent and Awning
20141025_152939.JPG (272.53 KiB) Viewed 8322 times
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Tenk wrote:Dankie vir al die terugvoer en info, ek glo ook nie daaraan, om die wiel te herontwerp nie, en neem dus kennis van ander se ervaringe/ondervinding. n Vraag wat ek jou wil vra is aangaande die arb bumper, kortwiek dit jou enigsins wat die praktiese betref, aangesien dit n entjie voorentoe uitstaan. Ek oorweeg n soorgelyke in die ironman, maar jy kry custom bumpers wat baie goed gebou word, wat ligter weeg en beter clearance het. Wat se jy?
I needed a solid strong bumper to mount a winch and also a tow hitch. I use my bakkie to surf launch my 19' cat. This is why I opted for the ARB. On the negative side, this is not a light bumper, add to this the weight of the winch and front tow hitch and you loose all the suspension lift that the heavy duty OME suspension gave you.

On the positive side with the suspension lift, body lift, bigger tyres and big front bumper I have yet to have a taxi try and squeeze in front of me.

As mentioned in my previous post I am now going to take out the draw system. I also have a slide which holds 2 or 4 ammo boxes which is mounted above where I keep my solar panels.

I am going to remove all of this. I will then mount the fridge slide flat in the load bin. I am also going to mount my two solar panel directly and permanently on top of the tent. This will mean they can be left permanently on. I am a bit concerned about theft but this will be minimized because I dont use the bakkie daily. We only use it for getaways.

Anyhow lets hear your comments on my proposals. You can see the draw system and ammo boxes in one of the pics i have posted above
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Baie netjies Barry :drool: :drool: :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Those photos do not really do Barry's 'Lux justice. It is a MONSTER! I saw it a week or so ago when Barry popped by at the shop. Very striking vehicle!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

My front suspension has given up and sagged. (Het gaan le) I have an ARB front bumper and winch on the front. Has anyone or any company got some advise on what aftermarket suspension kit to fit. It currently has OME which has lasted for 70K-75k KM. I am not to keen spending so much on a suspension system that only last for this amount of KM.

I am looking at the TOUGH DOG system but I am still open to all advise. I know the is a lot of extra weight up front so my question is which system will be able to handle it. Has anyone got first hand experience with the TOUGH DOG system. (http://www.conqueror.co.za/oppositelock.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Thanks
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Hi Barry,
Have just for the first time been looking at your thread and have really enjoyed reading about all your mods...
Can you not get air susp helpers for the front susp of your Lux?
Will be looking at this as I will also probably need to go this route in future as my vehicle is also a designated camping vehicle and stays loaded with the basics permanently.
A clam shell RTT could also have worked for you, but there is nothing wrong with your latest aquisition...
I only need to load the food & drink to get away.
Am now fitting a third battery which will be joining the second battery under the vehicle, which I will alternate usuge with the second battery...
Batteries 2 or 3 will be able to be used as back up for the starter battery should it give up the ghost.
I also do not use drawers as they waste a lot of space, instead I make use of shelves in which I use more user friendly smaller plastic boxes for the groceries, in place of the Ammo boxes.
Happy Camping,
Edge
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Update time: I have removed the canopy and bundu electric tent with awning completely. They are now sitting in my garage taking up space. Also as mentioned the African outback drawer system was removed. I purchased a Echo extreme caravan and this seems to be work for us now. I also removed the 60 liter water tank and pump so the load bin is now empty.
With all the extra weight removed I now need a step ladder to get in and out.

I had the performance UNI chip installed a long time ago. The performance and Turbo lag have progressively got worse over the years. I really notice it when I tow the boat. This is when you really smell the clutch burning. It was also heavy on diesel. I rode past an exhaust shop and they had a big sign up offering a 74 mm (might be 72 mm cannot remember) free flow exhaust for R2800.
Well now......what a difference in performance......this thing fly's now . I really cannot explain the difference. I dont know if the fuel consumption got better because I am driving much faster now. WOW. I should of done this a long time ago. (install free flow and remove cat) I also took it back to Dastek to get it re-tuned after I installed the free-flow (about 10 days later). I had them install the 5 switch selectable mapping with new generation chip. Do not really feel to much difference between the new and old chip but I like the mode they have for towing. It kind of scales things down a bit.

I do tow quite a lot and I wonder if this and the CAT did not get along. I am thinking maybe the CAT got all blocked up over time and hence the progressively poor performance.

I have the front Tupperware bumper, the rear Legend 40 stainless bumber, some rims and drawer system up for sale if anyone is interested. I cannot bring myself to sell the canopy , Bundu tent and awning just yet.
Once again I will highlight that I do not recommend anyone installing duel battery's and compressor in the engine compartment. I have never had a problem with the installation but now that it is all used and dirty it looks busy in there and messy.

Some feed back on other items. Good and not so good.
The firestone air suspension really works well and have never given me any problems .
Front lockers are nice to play with. I switched them in while going over an obstical and the tyre which was free bit in and bent the lower control arm when the wheel caught on a rock. (Lesson learnt)
Winch has never given a days problem. I use it mainly to pull the boat back onto the trailer.
National Luna fridge is running strong. Had to reseal it on the inside.
Engel fridge also running well. Two of the plastic clips which hold the lid closed have broken so far.
Aftermarket bumper with two spare wheel carriers is a pain in the butt. I have removed one . I am even thinking of removing the other one and only using them when we go on vacation.
Light bar works like a charm. Make sure you buy a good quality one. Some made in China one do not really perform that well.
DC2DC charger has also just worked without a days problem.
Two way radios which I got from Mad Dog for Boat and Bakkie working like a charm still.

If ever I had to do this again here is a list of thing I would do again:
Suspension: but I would do my homework as to what make
Winch: For the boat and also peace of mind.
Larger Tyre's for the ground clearance.
Two way radio: Nice to have and also for Boat
Front lockers: Nice to have and nice to play with.
Free-Flow exhaust with CAT removed: Once the vehicle get a little older. Dont think it will make such a difference when new.
Aftermarket front bumper: Looks good, frightens Taxis and holds winch
Light Bar Led light: Will never have another vehicle without them.
Roof Rack on cab roof: I never though I would like this but it has proved to be very handy over the years.
Air suspension will be one of the first thing that gets done.
Things I will not do again:
Aftermarket back bumper. Just not a lot of benefit for every day use
Drawer system. Heavy and not really saving space
Dual Battery system in engine compartment. Battery in load bin with plugs so it can be removed when not in use.
Deep cycle batteries. I will just use normal battery and beef up the alternator.
50mm Body lift. Looks cool allows you to add bigger tyres with mods but you cannot get in your car. You have to climb in, Becomes a pain in the butt.
Roof top tent of any sort. Becomes a pain in the butt.
270 degree plus awning. Again just to big. Normal small one is just fine.
Big Aluminium canopy. Really not worth it if you are not going to be using it daily for what it was designed. Normal canopy is just fine.

I hope this will help new guys thinking of doing then mods. These mods cost an arm and a leg so think carefully. Also do you homework with respect to using a trailer. Add all the mods to the trailer, this way when it come time to sell the vehicle you still have your camping gear. It is also as quick as just hook it up and go for the week end. Trailers / offroad caravans also have the negative point so once again do your home work.
If I think of anything else I will edit this post.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Good post thanks.
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Thanks for the good feedback!
Some good lessons to be learn't here!

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Nice to read your observations. Thank you
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Update 2019: I still have the Hilux and still going strong. The DC to DC charger burnt out which really scared the living daylights out of me. There was so much smoke I thought the Hilux was on fire. Turns out just some of the electronic components melted. I have just removed it and joined the in and out wires. Now both batteries are getting charged from the alternator. This just a temp plan until I make up my mind what to do.

Bought the Hilux back in Dec 2010 and it now has 130000 km on the clock. 130000 very memorable km's. A main "relay" failed which would stop the engine from starting. Toyota agent could not find the fault and had to call out an Auto electrical company. They stripped the dash out only to find the relay in the engine compartment. Long story short it cost me R7k. Since then all is well.

National Luna and Engel fridge have both been abused and misused by us but have never faulted. Beer has always been ice cold.
Air suspension, back OME suspension and front ARB lockers all still going strong. T/Dog front suspension also going strong but has not been in as long as the back.
The winch "Control box / solenoid box" failed and had to be replace. Nice just to walk into 4x4 Meggaworld Menlyn and buy a new one for a reasonable price over the counter after so many years.
All the inverters have failed over the years so I just stopped buying them. (They were alway the cheap and nasty kind so the old saying "you get what you pay for" is applicable to them)
As far as tyres are concerned my first were BF"s muds then Cooper muds and currently HanKook all terrainThey are almost at there end. So three sets of tyres to do 130000 km. The Hankook are the less noisy because they are AT but are also the softest. I have had more punctures and cuts with them than the others. Low milage can be accredited too long distances travelling with low pressure. I could not really pick a winner between the Coopers and the BF. I will be going back to BF when the Hankooks are finished. Just because I still have the two spare tyre which are BF's and also because they are easier to get.

The two way radio which was supplied by Mud Dog also going strong. The Mic cable has seen better days and I will have to get it fixed one of these days. Money well spent.

Hilux has a few more scratches but is still going solid. Still tows the cat boat to Moz twice a year. (Going again in October)
Still not considering selling the Hilux. Really enjoying it still.

Recently also bought a 132 kw 4 motion Amarok so if anyone wants first hand info / comparison they are welcome to contact me
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

The two way radio which was supplied by Mud Dog also going strong. The Mic cable has seen better days and I will have to get it fixed one of these days. Money well spent.
You sure about that, Barry? :cooldude:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:D: Mud Dog of Family Dog? ..... :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

its a dog, :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Any way you look at it! :D: :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

made a mistake.jpg

-F_D

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Update 2023. I sold the blue Hilux two or three years ago to a good friend of mine. It is still going very well. I did keep the canopy and the RTT which were already removed anyhow. I also removed the two way radio as it is also has the marine channels on and we still use it. As mentioned in a previous post we bought a 2.0l Amarok which we have been using. It proved more than capable. We did keep it serviced by the agent so no major problems. First think we realized is that it is much more expensive to service than the Hilux but serve us well. Used it on the farm, holidays and daily runner. It did not tow the boat as well as the Blue Hilux but in general was more car like. During this time we used the Echo Kavango off road caravan a lot. Nice combination.
Comparing the RTT setup to towing a Off road caravan both have there place. What I found is that for closer trips the caravan is better as well as when just staying in one place. (No brainer) But the RTT setup just feels more adventurous. We bought a canopy for the Amarok and mounted the RTT back on the canopy. Its been like this for about 18 months. I have now owned and used most of the popular brand of bakkies. Amarok, Hilux, Colt 2.8, Hilux 4.0l, Mazda BT50 and Isuzu 2,5
We have traded the Amarok and this is what we bought. The fun begins again :D:
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 18.39.561.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 18.13.21.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 18.13.20.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 18.12.55.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 16.47.01.jpg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

When we traded the Amarok we again kept the Canopy and RTT and the Two way radio. Since then we sold the Canopy. Here is a pic of the Amarok Setup
Attachments
Amarok 1.jpg
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

The circle of life!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

This time round we have a set of Lesson Learnt from the last Bakkie plus we have the following requirements which are self imposed.
Our build must be done in such a way as to ensure we can use the Hilux on the farm as well as daily runner. We need to use the load bin so everything must be removable.
We will keep the canopy on unless really it needs to be removed for a certain task.
Keep as light as possible
Minimum interference / tie inns with original wiring and minimum additional wiring. As such no 2nd battery in the engine bay, no compressor in the engine bay. No backyard wiring of spot lights.
No front lockers.
2nd Battery to be stand alone / removable, Air compressor also stand alone removable.
No unnecessary "STUFF"
We are also trying to avoid aftermarket front and rear bumper. We will also not make a decision now regarding aftermarket suspension.

What we are going to start with is the following.

Long range tank but not the 80 liter like last time but rather the 62 Liter. During all our last trips we never really used the two 80l tanks to the full potential and also we want to keep the bakkie as light as possible so hence the 62 l.
Wiring 16mm supply to a DC to DC charger loacted in the cab of the bakkie which feeds 3 x grey anderson plugs. One left and right and one next to the tow hitch to supply the caravan.
Additional light. I have selected a set of 6' driving lights and 6' spots lights both LED by Rigid. (Ordered and on the way)
Canopy. Ordered
Stand alone 2nd battery and Air compressor.
RTT Bundatec. Already have and Awning already have. Also have the Bundatec "add a room"
Then the normal stuff in the back which we already have. Fridge, ammo boxes.
I will make a sort of a slide for all the stuff out of steel square tubing then once it works make it out of aluminium
Finally there will have to be a winch but this is not top of the list yet. (This mainly for the boat)
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

We installed the 62l additional fuel tank. It also fits under the spare wheel. (Sorry no pics)
We also had the wiring done for the two sets of lights and the wiring for the DC2DC charger and plugs.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 22.16.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 20.15.57.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 19.31.17.jpeg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Next we installed the Air Bag helpers.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 14.51.34.jpeg
(31.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 14.39.37.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 14.33.35.jpeg
(34.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 14.33.34.jpeg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Checked the air helpers at 0 bar, 2,5 bar and 4.5 bar. Just for interest sake and this is what it looks like.
Attachments
4.5 bar.jpeg
2.5 Bar.jpeg
0 Bar.jpeg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

These bakkies come out with 18' rims. I want to change the rims to 17' and also change the tires to all terrain. I borrowed a set of 16' rims fitted with 265 / 75/16 just to see if they would fit ....They dont.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 11.19.14.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 11.19.14 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 11.19.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-21 at 11.18.31.jpeg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

We went with the Rhino man canopy and it is now on. To complete the "LOOK" can someone tell me where to buy those plastic things that they stick over the tail lights. Looks like burglar bars for the back lights
Attachments
IMG-20230503-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20230503-WA0039.jpg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

We had our old Bundu tent and awnings installed on the new canopy. This time we we used frontrunner quick release clamps. Starting to look nice now.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-29 at 15.59.24.jpeg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

In our first build we installed the Utility boxes on either side of the canopy. This was nice to organize a few things but when you really start using the bakkie it restricts your access from the sides into the canopy.

This time I decided to try a smaller version of the utility rack. We installed the 50% utility rack for a double cab canopy which has a length of 660mm. The 50% Utility rack for the extended cab is just over 200mm longer. The idea is to use this when we stop for quick break. We then installed the drop down tray with the draw. Some pics
This is the 50% Utility rack 660mm long
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-29 at 16.13.07.jpeg
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Sorry but having some problems uploading the pics. Just click on them
Attachments
Tray.jpeg
(30.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Closed.jpeg
(28.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-29 at 16.34.35.jpeg
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Looking good, Barry! :thumbup:

-F_D

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Nice!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

So we took our Maiden trip with the Hilux. Went to Moz via Mamba pass - Pafuri tented camp - Pafuri border crossing - Limpopo Mapai ferry crossing onto Mabote then Inhassoro. Had to find a road around the Banamana dam as the main road was under water and washed away.
With the mods we have done so far I am happy. The home made draw system needs some work but I was expecting this. I will move the fridge slide to the right hand side and the "Kitchen" to the left. I also need to make a better plan with the water tank as I am wasting space as it is now. I will post pics of this once done.

One thing that failed was my new Garmin Tread overland edition. I am very disappointed with this unit. In fact it is the worst piece of kit I have ever bought. I will revert to my Garmin Montana.
The other item which will need attention at one or other stage is the back suspension. Already the weight of the canopy, awning, RTT, and all the kit inside make the back very bouncy but I knew this will come eventually.
Duel tanks are a blessing. There was a Pajero with us and he was really worried about finding fuel before running out.

The 2nd battery system really performed perfect. We were running two fridges. We were forced to use our old Engel 38l as a deep freeze as our National Luna dropped us and never worked properly for the whole trip. Turned out to be low gas but NL could not find a leak. They refilled it and now it is running at home on test. It never switched off because it could never reach its temp but the battery system, including DC2Dc charger and 400 w solar panel kept everything running for the whole 10 days.

I have 2 sets of spot light mounted in a straight line on the nudge bar. This turned out to be the wrong way to install them as it was blocking the Toyota emblem on the front grill and this is where the sensors are for the adaptive cruise control. I have relocated the two middle lights and now my adaptive cruise control is working again. So dont block the Toyota Emblem.
Attachments
IMG-20230821-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230821-WA0001.jpg
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Thanks for the update Barry, sorry to hear about the problems with the Garmin Tread. I am not familiar with this unit but apparently it is not their proudest moment.

Your Hilux looks good and you have done a lot of hard work tailoring it for your needs - enjoy it!

-F_D

Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

I built the air compressor into the small shelf / drawer combo which I installed on the left hand side of the canopy. The compressor is bolted in. When we load the 2nd battery it plugs into the battery box permanently during the trip. If the 2nd battery is not with us then it can also be plugged into the main battery. This system and the Indyflate really makes it very easy to air up and down.
Attachments
Compressor.jpg
(29.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”