Chip Problem: Diesel Torque

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
ChristiaanduToit
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux ExtraCab 3.0 D-4D

Chip Problem: Diesel Torque

Post by ChristiaanduToit »

I have read a number of articles about the unichip that SAC and Dastek fit on the 3.0 D-4D engines with great success.

I had a Diesel Torque chip fitted on my previous Hilux (2010 Hilux 3.0 D-4D SC) with great results.
I did not put it on the Dyno to get the actuall increases in power and torque.

But what I can say is that it made a great difference in power. It went full speed on a straight. Cut out only on 192 GPS speed.
Even my fuel economy increased from around 10km/l to 10.8km/l. This will increase the more you get use to the excess power. In the beginning the feul consumption stayed the same but I got there a lot quicker.

The units is less expensive than the uni chip option and it is a plug and play unit. You plug it in and it works.

When I got my new Xtra Cab, I bought the new version of the diesel torque chip.
This is where my problems started.
It was smoking. I had to set the fine tuning to its max just to get the bakkie to stop smoking.
The multi function display was a mess. The on board computer calculated 11.5km/l but when filling up I got 9.9km/l.
Further more the chip cuts off the engine when gunning it. It cuts the engine off completely. I have to turn off the egnition and restart the motor again. Not the most fun I had on the highway.

I contacted the manufacturer and Craig is busy sending me a new unit.
To be honest and fair, Craig is a good guy, willing to help and taking up responsibility.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on the problem.
The answer I am left with is that the specific unit is faulty.

Regards
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Re: Chip Problem: Diesel Torque

Post by jacques kotze »

Ek het soortgelyke probleme met my Kaufner chip(nie dieselfde as jou chip nie) sny ook uit as jy hom brand, die suppliers het al 3 chips vir my gestuur als met dieselfde resultate, nou se hulle dis die valve op die commonrail wat te "pap" is, elke keer as die diesel druk te veel raak dan maak die valve oop om van die druk ontslae te raak om die enjin te beskerm. Dis wanneer die enjin ook uitsny. n Ander ou het weer gese dat dit nie die valve is wat fout is nie maar die chip self. Het maar die chip uitgehaal en ry met hom standaard.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Sounds like overfuel problem then the engine goes into "limp" mode to protect itself.

Know what you don't know.
imolla
Town: newcastle
Vehicle: toyota fortuner

Post by imolla »

hi. i am new to the this forum, i have the same problem with disel torque chip, i would like to know how was it sorted ?

thanks olla
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Having installed the small plug and play (Kaufner, Diesel Torque ect) and Unichips you cannot compare the products to Unichip. I cannot go into the details but the new range of common rail diesels are just to sensitive to simple signal interception because once you exceed a certain limit it will go into limp mode. I'm not saying that this could not happen with a Unichip if installed/tuned incorrectly but the results cannot be compared to a Unichip installed and tuned correctly.
ImageImageImage
imolla
Town: newcastle
Vehicle: toyota fortuner

Post by imolla »

Thanks.I really appreciate your response.so I guess yoi have an unichipplug
Alain
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Prado 150, Hilux D4D

Post by Alain »

I have the same problem on my 2010 Prado ,
I have also played with the settings , I moved the position of the unit which worked fine for a while but today I get the call from my wife again that it started it crap again ........... Waiting for Craig for ideas .

The older gen unit in that Hilux works like a charm .....

will keep you informed
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Welcome to the forum Alain.

it definately is the engine that protects itself from overfuelling.

Dylan also states correctly, it can happen with a Unichip, but you need to set the chip to some overfuel situation before it will send the engine into limp mode.

Know what you don't know.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

are you guys meaning that you are adjusting fuelling while driving?

not something which I would be comfortable changing without a dyno tune.
I'm seeing more and more units which are giving customers the ability to change fuelling by turning a knob.
Maybe it's just me, but I dont trust changing fuelling on the fly (maybe i just dont understand the concept fully)
or maybe its because my previous engine put a hole through the block, and sump, and other side of the block due to bad tuning... (not the hilux thankfully)
Real drivers use three pedals
Alain

Post by Alain »

Thanks for the comments guys, :celebrate:

Craig from Diesel Torque called me back at about 9:30 and offered to exchange the unit , but after we chatted a bit I opted to send the unit back for a reflash.

Craig recons they have sent him some new stuff that seems to be sorting this problem out ... Thanks for the excellent service Diesel Torque :clap:

On the last comment of changing the fueling while moving .... not on this unit buddy ... But I have heard about that system .... but I recon if the preset maps are done properly it shouldn't damage anything :blink:

Thanks for the feedback guys
Perdevlei
Town: Kareedouw
Vehicle: Prado

Post by Perdevlei »

Ek het ook Diesel Torque probeer , Craig het ook my probeer help om die eenheid te herprogrammeer ens ens ens , ten einde laas het ek die chip uitgehaal want dit raak lewensgevaarlik , voertuig sny uit teen opdraand terwyl ek in vinnige baan die stadige verkeer ( lorries , karavane ens ) verbysteek !!!!!!!!!!!!! dit was chaos , 'n BAIE amperse ongeluk .
Alain

Post by Alain »

Ok Guys , got my unit back and no problems so far , car pulls well so lets see.

my reflash seemed to sort the problem out .......
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

same problem on my kaufner unit now
start, go, cut out, fustrate , vloek , switch off , start again
and this can happen quiet often lately
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Alain

Post by Alain »

what i can figure out is the ECU on the new stuff is monitoring everything and the second something changes all hell breaks loose, Craige said the new software had alsorts of new codes inbedded into it to try and correct this , my one seems to be working and mom has done 1000km so far all town driving and no bollie !!!! will let you know if anything pops up.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

I have a Kaufner for a d4d if anyone is interested.
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Got the same problems with my unichip last week on my 2.7vvti but the problem in this instance was the chip was hanging from a paper clip behind the glove box and this thing while driving swung around there and i suppose lost contact at times. I fiddled with the plug and secured it in a propper place and havent had a problem since... Dont know if this might be of help to you guys but worth checking...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
WJH
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by WJH »

Perdevlei wrote:Ek het ook Diesel Torque probeer , Craig het ook my probeer help om die eenheid te herprogrammeer ens ens ens , ten einde laas het ek die chip uitgehaal want dit raak lewensgevaarlik , voertuig sny uit teen opdraand terwyl ek in vinnige baan die stadige verkeer ( lorries , karavane ens ) verbysteek !!!!!!!!!!!!! dit was chaos , 'n BAIE amperse ongeluk .
Goeie Dag.

Ek het gesien julle gesels rondom die Diesel Torque chips van Craig@DieselTorque. EK het die 2012 model Hilux en my chip sny ook uit met geen vaste patroon nie. Craig het hom al 3x ge-re-program, maar dit help niks. EK het 'n ander harnass ook al gekry. Steeds dieselfde. Sny net uit wanneer hy wil. "Koppige storie"!

Ek wonder of enige iemand hul probleme kon oplos met die DieselTorque produk sonder om die ding in jou boonste laai te gooi, want dit los die probleem op, maar ek hou van d :surrender: ie ekstra Kw wat hy gee. Enige raad of advies>>>

Groete WJH.
WJH
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by WJH »

Alain wrote:Thanks for the comments guys, :celebrate:

Craig from Diesel Torque called me back at about 9:30 and offered to exchange the unit , but after we chatted a bit I opted to send the unit back for a reflash.

Craig recons they have sent him some new stuff that seems to be sorting this problem out ... Thanks for the excellent service Diesel Torque :clap:

On the last comment of changing the fueling while moving .... not on this unit buddy ... But I have heard about that system .... but I recon if the preset maps are done properly it shouldn't damage anything :blink:

Thanks for the feedback guys
Hi Alain.

Did you manage to solve your problem with the DieselTorque chip? I have the same problem on my 2012 Hilux>>> Any advise?

WJH
Huxli
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux D4D

Post by Huxli »

i fitted a freeflow from UTV(Dwayne) on the forum and that solved the cut out issues completely. Could set it 2 pins higher without any issues, traction control was had a good workout. Removed the chip when i took it in for a service 15000km ago and have not fitted it again as the difference with just the exhaust is ample. Would fit the chip again when i need to tow.
Jaco Mulder
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux D4D Double Cab

Post by Jaco Mulder »

Middag Manne,

Ek weet die chips doen dit as hulle heeltemal oop gestel is.
Op watter nommer / setting is die chips gestel as 1 vir brandstof verbruik is en 10 vir krag.
janvg
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bronkhorstspruit
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Post by janvg »

Naandse. Kontak my ek sal probeer julle dieseltorque probleme uitsort.
HHS
Town: Schweizer Reneke
Vehicle: 2012 Toyta Hilux DC Auto, 2012 Toyota Land Cruiser

Post by HHS »

janvg wrote:Naandse. Kontak my ek sal probeer julle dieseltorque probleme uitsort.
Ek wil net graag weet op watse setting moet ek my Diesel Torque sit vir die beste fuel / power ratio op die Hilux 3.0 D4D.

Ek dink baie mense soek na dit maar mens kry nerens info op die internet nie.

Baie dankie!

Jacques
janvg
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bronkhorstspruit
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Post by janvg »

Hhs pm my asb
bfvandermerwe
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by bfvandermerwe »

Weet enige iemand waar mens kan gaan kyk vir n Chip vir n billike prys?

Diesel torqe n yes of n no?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Dastek - Unichip.

Moenie dat enige iemand jou iets anders vertel nie.

Jou Unichip word in jou kar geinstalleer en vir JOU kar ingestel op 'n Dyno.

Al hierdie ander goed wat jy inplug dobbel jy met jou kar se enjin.

Om R1000 te spaar op 'n chip wat jou potensieel met R50k+ se enjin skade kan los is net nie die moeite werd nie.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Soos een ou vir my gese het, die chips lieg vir die ECU, en as hy lank genoeg aanhou lieg is jou engine gone.

Die chips goed verander inligting na die ECU toe, en soedoende oorskry jy limite wat die ECU gebruik, en die goed is ook nie altyd betroubaar nie.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

Haai, ek het so 4maande terug unichip se Q4 in die bakkie gesit, ek het iewers n thread daaroor opgesit. Dis die unit wat jy aan die fueling kan stel dmv n map selector binne in die cab met 5 maps. Ek het met die verkoops man gepraat, en hom gevra of dit n goeie idee is om dit in die ry te verander, volgens hom is dit maar net veiliger om seker te maak die engine idle, en dit nie teen hoe revs te doen nie. Teoreties hoort dit geen probleem te veroorsaak nie, maar as die engine teen minder revs loop is die kanse dat iets die rekenaar boks gaan deurmekaar raak net soveel minder.
Ek het ook nog geen uitsny of limping mode issues met die chip gekry nie, en die Q4 haal BAIE uit die engine uit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”