How much is too much?? (Lift)

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Nobit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40, 3.0D4D 4x4 Auto

How much is too much?? (Lift)

Post by Nobit »

Hi guys

So yesterday I went to 4 x 4@Kungwini near Bronkhorstspruit Dam. Had a great day with some really nice obstacles...
But on a couple of the "hump backs" my belly touched....even after trying a few different lines...and the continual tire rub was seriously getting me down!! :alvarin:
So in haste this morning first thing I went to the nearest Supa Quick and fitted a WR OFFROAD spacer kit.
2 hours later I had the front sitting at FL - 765mm and FR - 775mm!! Wow!! :wth:
The bakkie is siting nice and level now...a touch nose down, but nothing like it used to be...

Do you think it's too much?? Am i looking for trouble?? Your opinions would greatly be appreciated...
:beg:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: How much is too much?? (Lift)

Post by OOOOMS »

What size spacer kit did you fit ?

A spacer kit will NOT lift your belly, the only thing that will lift it are larger profile tyres :!:
Nobit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nobit »

It's a 30mm spacer. So I got about a 60mm lift.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Mark, no spacer kit will be able to lift your belly! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Actually it will give you more ground clearance (belly wise), but your lower control arms are still exposed and get very little benefit out of the lift. A lift will slightly improve your approach / departure and break-over angles. Bigger tyres certainly help ... they lift the whole vehicle including the control arms / rear diff by a few centimetres .... not a lot, but it does help and can make all the difference between clearance or snagging. Also, bigger wheels don't fall as deep into a depression / rut as a smaller wheel would .... that in itself minimises the need for lift in such a circumstance. If one wants to get technical, bigger wheels also weigh a little more, adding to the unsprung weight, which generally reduces ride comfort a little but also slightly lowers the COG .... just a tiny bit .... and sometimes again it's just that little bit that prevents the tipping of the COG scales.

So really it's what suits your needs .... are you doing a lot of rough terrain where you need ground clearance, or are you doing severe side angles / sideway rocking where COG is extremely important .... or somewhere in between? Your individual requirements are what determines what is too much or too little lift. Normally somewhere around 100mm lift is a good average.

60mm Lift isn't bad ... (I thought that a 30mm spacer should give a little more), and it's also not going to put too much strain on your CV joints.

;-)

When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

30mm space should roughly give you 57mm lift which is fine, going more will cause problems.

Not sure what size tyres you are running but lets say ie you are on 245/70/16's and you go to say 265/70/16, this in itself will lift your belly by 70mm, quite a difference!
Nobit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nobit »

I'm running 265/75/16 AT's at the moment...up from the standard 265/70/16.
I had a look at the angle of the side shafts....doesn't look too bad. I'll post a pic so you guys can give an opinion....
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

265/75/16 will not be a problem at all.

Know what you don't know.
Jingo73
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Zebra (Fortuner)

Post by Jingo73 »

OOOOMS wrote:30mm space should roughly give you 57mm lift which is fine, going more will cause problems.

Not sure what size tyres you are running but lets say ie you are on 245/70/16's and you go to say 265/70/16, this in itself will lift your belly by 70mm, quite a difference!
The radius of 245/70/16 is 374.65 mm and the radius of 265/70/16 is 388.62 mm the difference is 14mm. Please explain how it lifts the belly of 70mm? I assume the belly is the area between the wheel. Is that correct.
I'm asking because I don't know alot about the subject, and that's why it doesn't make sense to me. THX
All things that are, are with more spirit chased, than enjoyed.
William Shakespeare
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Jingo73 wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:30mm space should roughly give you 57mm lift which is fine, going more will cause problems.

The radius of 245/70/16 is 374.65 mm and the radius of 265/70/16 is 388.62 mm the difference is 14mm. Please explain how it lifts the belly of 70mm? I assume the belly is the area between the wheel. Is that correct.
I'm asking because I don't know alot about the subject, and that's why it doesn't make sense to me. THX
Let me try and help, 245 x 70% is171.5mm and 265 x 70% is 185.5mm therefore a difference of 14cm. Devided by two half of the centre of the wheel on top en the other bottom giving you 7cm or 70mm. Forstands?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Difference is 14mm not 14cm .... height gain = 7mm. ;-)

Jy werk te hard, Mark ... weer tyd om Namibia te besoek! :laugh2: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mud Dog wrote:Difference is 14mm not 14cm .... height gain = 7mm. ;-)

Jy werk te hard, Mark ... weer tyd om Namibia te besoek! :laugh2: ;-)
Nope it is 14cm (in total) devided by 2 = 7cm or 70mm

For pics see here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19012&hilit=nuwe+tekkies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That ain't 7mm, no ways......
Nobit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nobit »

So here are the pics.... Does it look too excessive??
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Nobit wrote:So here are the pics.... Does it look too excessive??
Is the spacer at the bottom of the coil? If so what's holding it place.

30mm is ok, but would not go higher than that :wink2:
Nobit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nobit »

No. The spacer is on top of the coil.
Glad to hear it looks ok..... :yahoo:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Nobit wrote:No. The spacer is on top of the coil.
Glad to hear it looks ok..... :yahoo:
100%, yip looks good :thumbup:
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

Was there not a thing that the spacers broke the mounting or something because I would like to do it to my Tuna as well. Is their maybe different types of spacers and is this a Toyota approved mod?
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

do you have before ad after fotys from the side I would like to see what difference this made to the Bakkie
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Quintin wrote:Was there not a thing that the spacers broke the mounting or something because I would like to do it to my Tuna as well. Is their maybe different types of spacers and is this a Toyota approved mod?
Toyota approved mod...... :lol: :lol: :lol: At Toyota prices yeh.....

Can supply you with spacers if you want, will send you the details :thumbup:
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks Mark sommer daai air support wat in jou Tuna is se detail ook as jy dit het. :thumbup: :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Quintin wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks Mark sommer daai air support wat in jou Tuna is se detail ook as jy dit het. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Details sent :thumbup:
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Thanks
Nobit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Nobit »

Sorry. The pic is not so good.... But it's the only one I have of before the spacers were fitted...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Here is a quick pic I took of mine. With 16mm spacers:

Just in case you don't know, mine are IronM with cruiser shocks...
Suspension 001 (Large).JPG
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Ok so it lifts it quite a bit nice.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”