Question: Suspension upgrade with ARB??

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Dunesand
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Question: Suspension upgrade with ARB??

Post by Dunesand »

I have fitted an ARB on my 08 Hilux 4x4 and was told I'll have to upgrade at least the front shocks as well. I can't really "feel" the ARB having an influence on the handling(even gravel road) but if I upgrade the suspension, do I replace the complete shock and coil or can I only replace the coil?
Thanks for any help.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Question: Suspension upgrade with ARB??

Post by CasKru »

Hi Hanno. Unfortunately I cannot help but would just like to welcome you to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here and get your answers
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Dunesand wrote:I have fitted an ARB on my 08 Hilux 4x4 and was told I'll have to upgrade at least the front shocks as well. I can't really "feel" the ARB having an influence on the handling(even gravel road) but if I upgrade the suspension, do I replace the complete shock and coil or can I only replace the coil?
Thanks for any help.
Hi Hanno,

Yep, welcome here.

Shoot Louis a PM here on the forum, he's a member here and also from Menlyn 4x4 Megaworld. He will be able to help you.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Hi Hanno

Welcome.

It has something to do with the extra weight of the bumper, pulling the nose down.
I have only a spacer fitted above the coils to level things out.
But I think this spacer does influence the suspension negatively, giving the front a harder ride than usual.

Ultimately I would also want to upgrade at least the front suspension.
ImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Good Day Hanno,

The Arb Replacement bumper weight's is about +/-45kg, if you fitted a winch aswell it is another 35kg-45kg with the weight of the bumper. You could say +/- 80kg right in front of the front wheels, this means it will push your nose down immeadatly after the fitment(bumper & winch) about 15mm.

But, with just the Arb it will also go down, not as much. If you like you can leave it like it is and let the std suspension work for a while. Remember the coils carry the weight of the vehicle and extras.

Spacers only trim the side view of the vehicle, it help only with that. Over a year or so you will see the nose dropped even further with the spacer in.

The question will be, will you be happy to pay +/-R6100 for the front OME struts(shocks) and coils that can handle the extra front weight? The plus point will be the stronger coil will lift the front with 40mm and carry the weight and even out the side view.

I hope this help a bit,

Best Regards,
Louis
4x4 Megaworld Menlyn
Dunesand
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Dunesand »

Thanks Louis,

It seems as if I definitely have to upgrade my front suspension at least.
My other question however was: do I replace the whole thing being coil and shock or is an replacement coil sufficient as the existing shock are virtually brand new?

Looking forward
Hanno
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Hanno,

Yes you can fit just the replacement coil, but with some disadvantages:
1. The std. shock can bottom out if it articulate(if you go trought axle twisters, 1 wheel into the arch and the other extended all the way down) too much and break the shock. Remember ussually replacement coils lift the vehicle a bit, thus the shock will be longer to accommodate above articulation.
2. If drive alot of gravel road, especially corrigation the std shock might fail earlier as one suspect.
3. In the OME range they also differentiate between normal valving and harder valving of the shocks, it mean if carry a lot of weight it is better to go with the harde valving because it tend to send the wheel back to the ground faster where it supposed to be and vice a versa, the std shock do not suppot this feature.

Like they say, if you are just using the bakkie in town it sees rarely the veld then it is good just to fit the stronger coils.

Best Regards,
Louis
4x4 Megaworld Menlyn

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”