Suspension

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Paarlsig
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Hilux Raider D4D

Suspension

Post by Paarlsig »

I need advice please. I own a 2005 Hilux D4D (4X2) Manual. It has still the 15" rims, but is the new shape. I drive a lot on dirt roads, and for apparently no reason the rear will break away every now and then, specially on a corrogated bend. This happens at speeds of 60 km/h and higher.

I am told to fit either an OME or Camil suspension.

The advice I am seeking is:
1.) Will the OME or Camil suspension improve the stability on dirt raods significantly and
2.) will the ride be "softer"

I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Re: Suspension

Post by Aquanaut »

Does it do it with a load on the back, if not, then it indicates that the vehicles is too light in the bin area. I f it still does it with a load on the back, then you need to sort out your suspension.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I think you need to have a look at the suspension all the same ..... no matter what suspension you have, any bakkie will give a better ride at the back if you're carrying a load. You're not going to be carrying a load every time you're on a gravel road and being a stability issue, it's also a safety issue. Hard tyres, hard shocks and hard springs all contribute to your problem. The tyre issue is an easy one to rectify by finding a suitable pressure (lowered) that allows the tyre to absorb some of the shock before it even reaches the suspension, but not too low to result in side-wall damage. Changing the shocks if necessary starts to cost a few bucks and can become quite a pricey exercise when it comes to the performance brands / models, but one can still get away with doing only the rear. It would of course be better to do the front as well. With the springs it becomes more costly and here you should be looking at front and back at the same time .... like an all round upgrade. I can't vouch for Camil, but OME will definitely give you a softer and more stable ride, loaded or not. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Paarlsig

Post by Paarlsig »

Thank you Aquanaut and Mud Dog.

The Hilux does the "unexpected" break away primarily when unloaded, but to a lesser extent it still happens even when loaded. I have lowered the tyre pressure from the recommended 2.5 bar to 2.0 bar and even sometimes 1.8 bar, and it does makes a difference, in ride comfort, but unfurtunately the break away still happens.

Is it correct that OME suspesion is available in a "hard"; "medium" and "soft" ride?

Thank you.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Kind of, yes. What it involves is more or less blades in the leaf pack and different shocks. Just go for the standard setup with the Nitro-Charger shocks (not Nitro-Charger Sport). You can always add an extra blade if the ride is too low with a load, but I doubt that will be necessary. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Paarlsig

Post by Paarlsig »

Thank you for the info and explanation, Mud Dog.
Ou Poot
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: 1995 HI lux 4 x4.Fortuner

Post by Ou Poot »

I opted for the Camel conversion some 3 years ago which settled the break away tendency on bad gravel roads totally, even unloaded. I sold my Hi -Lux(2008) in June of last year to a friend at 150000km whom is still very happy with this suspension upgrade.
NOU IS DIE BESTE TYD,NIE LATER NIE
Paarlsig

Post by Paarlsig »

Ou Poot, Thank you. Did the Camil suspension also improve the ride quality (Softer)?
Padmaker
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: De Aar
Vehicle: 2.7 vvti

Post by Padmaker »

Adriaan, how many km has your current shock done?
Fred79
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kent UK
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Icon 2.4

Post by Fred79 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCqq_VbUyBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice video oor OME
Paarlsig

Post by Paarlsig »

Padmaker, I have just done 110 000 km with the originak shocks and suspension.
Would suggest a test of the shocks?
Thank you
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Paarlsig wrote:Padmaker, I have just done 110 000 km with the originak shocks and suspension.
Would suggest a test of the shocks?
Thank you
:D: Not necessary .... they'll be shot! If you're doing gravel roads regularly you should have changed them at about 60 000 km's already! :D:

Paarlsig

Post by Paarlsig »

Och, Thank you Mud Dog it is going for the 110 000 km service on Thursday and will have the shocks tested, but it seems a good idea to replace it now with an OME system.

Can anybody recommend a reliable supplier and fitter of the OME system in and around Potchefstroom?

Thank you all for the advice.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Adriaan, 4x4 Megaworld Klerkies is about your closest choice. Also maybe Hans (Witmamba, member here), in Vanderbijl, not sure how far VDB is from Poitjiestroom, though.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Paarlsig

Post by Paarlsig »

Thank you, FD I will contact both. Vanderbijlpark is not more than 60 km's away.
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Post by BenRich »

If you can afford it go for the OME by all means.....

However I fitted the full Camil system on my LUX (2009) and am very happy up till now. Ride is much better and on dirt roads much more stable. And at about 60-65% of the price of of OME. In my opinion well worth it.

Local is lekka.. :thumbup:

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”