35" tyres with only 3" of lift

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
mmaaxx
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: melbourne
Vehicle: Hilux

35" tyres with only 3" of lift

Post by mmaaxx »

Thought I'd share with you all what Ive been upto lately.....

I've trial fitted my neighbours 35/12.5x17 Mud tyres off His GU Patrol on my hilux.

My hilux is sitting at 3" without a bodylift.

I removed the front fibreglass flares, trimmed atleast 30mm all the way around to increase the fender opening, fitted 4" wide sidemount rubber flares directly into the fender, and did more bodymount/inner guard modifications.

A larger bumpstop spacer has been fitted underneath the progressive bumpstops fitted also. I have made my own steering limiters which will be used if required.

There is enough clearance for everyday driving and mild wheeling for now.

Its all trial and error and will need some fine tuning to get the maximum potential offroad.

Heres a teaser pic
maxx.jpg
Hilux
(80.66 KiB) Downloaded 1085 times
Low and wide with clearance, add front and rear approach and departure angle mods and offroad stability is at its best.
2007 Hilux SR 4x4
4" Monster Rides Kit, 4.7 Marlin Crawl Box, Front ARB Locker, 305/70x16 MTR Kevlar and a bunch of other stuff.

max@monsterrides.com.au
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 35" tyres with only 3" of lift

Post by Mud Dog »

Looking good! :thumbup: Yeah, the bigger wheels will give you some added ride height with improved approach / departure and break-over angles, but wheel arch clearance is always a bit of a bugger (front at least anyway - particularly at full lock), but it looks like you've taken care of that pretty much. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
PUW
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by PUW »

what did you do to achieve the 3" lift?
mmaaxx
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mmaaxx »

I work for Monster Rides and run their height adjustable coilovers. The kit comprises not just height adjustable coilovers, but also diff relocation brackets, upper control arms and a bunch of inner guard mods.
2007 Hilux SR 4x4
4" Monster Rides Kit, 4.7 Marlin Crawl Box, Front ARB Locker, 305/70x16 MTR Kevlar and a bunch of other stuff.

max@monsterrides.com.au
PUW
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by PUW »

thanks!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Truck looks mean, I really like :thumbup:
Just one ask - is it safe to assume 35x12.5x17 is bigger than same size tyre in 15 inch, common sense says "yes", I just want to make sure.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Boland4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plattekloof
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 Auto

Post by Boland4x4 »

No a 35" stays a 35". Since it is sitting on a 17" rim it just has a shallower sidewall. 35" is the outside diameter. 12.5" is the width of course.
No mods :disgust:
mmaaxx
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mmaaxx »

Boland4x4 wrote:No a 35" stays a 35". Since it is sitting on a 17" rim it just has a shallower sidewall. 35" is the outside diameter. 12.5" is the width of course.

Yes and No.

I understand what your saying but the sidewall stated size and the website tech data stated by manufacturers many times is not accurate in the real world when the tyre is mounted on a rim.

Thats why if you ever had the opportunity to grab a tape measure and measure the actual diameter and width of a tyre mounted on a rim, then that is always the preffered gauge of size.

Mods, can you please fix my image links above in previous post?
2007 Hilux SR 4x4

max@monsterrides.com.au
sealan
Town: Petaling Jaya
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo

Post by sealan »

CAn you help share with me what type of rims you have (any offset?)
Also what type of tyres? 35 x 12.5 x 15?

I would like to learn what you did, as I opted for body lift and still shopping for the right tyres.
I fitted SIMEX Centipede, but the sides were rubbing the rear part of the front fender.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”