Replacing (re-building) the front of my Raider

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
5ur3n
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: 2007 Hilux DC 3.0 4x2

Replacing (re-building) the front of my Raider

Post by 5ur3n »

Hi All

I need some advice. I bought myself a 2007 3.0 D4D Raider Double Cab last year, but Toyota would not give me cash back on the standard stuff if I replaced the bumper, tyres and suspension and those silly aluminium sills, so I decided to keep the vehicle standard and replace with better stuff as parts wore out.

This is fine since the vehicle is currently my daily drive, and only sees minor off-road use (transporting bikes, visiting mines in the course of my work, driving around on mine-dumps for sand-boarding).

However, I had a little accident recently and need to have the front bumper, lights, grille and the standard Raider nudge-bar replaced. I want to get decent gear since this is an insurance job and I'm open to chipping in a few bob as well.

Bumper/Bull-bar:

Since the vehicle is not a major off-roader at this point in its life, I don't a winch, but retrieval/high-lift points are important. The option to add one later would be nice.

I was thinking of getting a color-coded Onca replacement bumper with a bush-bar like this one from their website, but with the bumper color coded and the bush-bar/nudge part chromed to match the standard raider chrome roll-bar and rear step. (Yes, I know, the animals will laugh at me with all the chrome, but hey, that's the way I bought it, and it looks fine to me)

Please can someone let me know a place where I can source this in the JHB area (near Randburg, preferably), since I am unable to find a semi-chromed variant for the new shape Hilux.

Grille

I would like to replace the front grille with something that promotes better air-flow to the radiator and condenser, since although it's great to have it there Can anyone recommend a good after-market part?

Lights

I have a set of halogen running lights and pencil beams that I will be mounting while the vehicle is in the shop. However, the headlights need to be replaced and I am considering something more powerful than the standard ones (I drive many rural/industrial roads which are pitch dark and this is a safety matter). Can anyone recommend a good source or make for a Xenon kit, or perhaps a bulb replacement that won't void the warranty?
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: Replacing (re-building) the front of my Raider

Post by ToyX4 »

Hi Suren.

Welcome to the forum.

Contact Halfway Toyota on 011 317 8888, or http://www.halfwaytoyota.co.za

Bought my bakkie from them, and they fit their vehicles with RV-products.
This is what my bullbar looks like. They do colour coding as well.

ImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Suren, welcome to the forum. As far as the headlights go, there has been a lot of positive feedback on both, the Osram Silver Star globes, and the even newer (only now released) Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. Standard 55W, so no problems with Warranty, but claimed far superior light beam. Drop the idea of Xenon conversions, they dazzle oncoming drivers and are not to be encouraged.

I have ordered a pair of Night Breakers, just waiting for them to arrive.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

5ur3n
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 5ur3n »

Thanks for the welcome guys. The help is much appreciated!
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Suren, here is the link to view the RV accesories: http://www.rvaccessories.co.za/

There is a dealership in Randburg, where the old X16( I think) showroom was
ImageImage
5ur3n
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 5ur3n »

Well, I got some quotes from panel-beaters today - R100k damage... but all of them acknowledged that the damage was mostly cosmetic.

They are quoting for things like a full replacement of radiator, fan, cooling system, air-conditioner, fuel pump air filter and filter housing when in fact there is a single DENT in the air-conditioner condenser and the rest of the engine is undamaged. They are replacing the WHOLE Dashboard and panels when in fact the new hilux airbags are seperate modules.

I realise that since insurance is paying for this it isn't breaking my back personally, but isn't it just a rip-off - this is why our insurance premiums are so high and everybody with an insured vehicle has to pay so much (especially us with big "high risk" bakkies).

I don't know if this annoys anyone else, it certainly annoys me!

Ranting aside - did you know that an Onca replacement bumper with bush-bar is CHEAPER than replacing the bumper and standard Raider nudge. This is such a no-brainer.

Thanks once again for the advice guys!
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Eish! R100K! Thats hectic. I rolled my ex-2.7 VVTi SC in 2006, and it cost less than R100k to buy and fit new body, odds and ends included.

You're getting ripped off BIG time!
ImageImage
5ur3n
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 5ur3n »

Yeah, well at least I found a good panel-beater now who gave a more reasonable quote. I am now driving a Citi Golf Chico... jeez - had now idea how scary it is pulling up next to the new Hilux - with no suspension mods the bottom of the driver's window is higher than the Chico's roof ;-)

Can't wait to get my baby back!

Looks like I'm getting the RV Accessories one - Onca isn't really coming through for me. They are so busy I don't have the heart to ask them to redo the quote because the design is wrong...
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Howzit my china...

Just some advice... Fit a TJM bar, they are tested and approved for airbag compatibility...
5ur3n
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by 5ur3n »

So it's been a couple of months, and since getting the vehicle back I've been having a lot more fun with it... I'm sure the Hilux fans will be chuffed to know that I've recovered 2 Landys a Navara and a Pathfinder... and mine is only a 4x2 ;-)

Of course, I did need a landy to recover me the other day, but that's life, right?

In the meanwhile, I thought I'd post a picture... yes, I know it's under the car-port and stuff... will work on getting some decent shots...
Attachments
IMAGE_069.jpg
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Is it true that the guard on the bonnet diverts airflow over the intercoolor intake rather than into it :?: :?: :?:
I heard it somewhere...
Attachments
intercooler.jpg
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Piet sover ek weet is dit 'n definitiewe no no as die by die Diesel motors kom met die airduct in die bonnet. Op lae spoed is dit bleikbaar nie 'n probleem nie maar meer op hoë spoed
To God be the glory
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Maak sin / Makes sentince :?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Bushwacker wrote:Maak sin / Makes sentince :?
Spellid sentence :twisted:

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”