Hilux 4.0 V6 Free Flow

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
jguthrie

Hilux 4.0 V6 Free Flow

Post by jguthrie »

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody has experience with putting a free flow exhaust on the new shape Toyota 4.0 V6?

I am thinking about having this done and have had some input from the local exhaust place. They recommended replacing the pipes after the Catalytic sensors, but before the actual Catalytic Converters, thus removing the converters but keeping the sensors in tact.

Question, is this the correct place to start the conversion or should it not be closer to the engine i.e. just after the branches, or do you need to keep the catalytic sensors in tact?

Taking it from after the branches, would this have any performance gain over taking it after the Cat sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John Guthrie
john@iwarehouse.co.za
http://www.iwarehouse.co.za
John Guthrie
2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/Cab
ZU1JG
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Re: Hilux 4.0 V6 Free Flow

Post by Scorpion »

Hi, John. I have been considering the same thing on my V6 Fortuner. What I can tell you about freeflows (I've had many done on previous cars) is that to just simply replace them doesn't make sense. The average exhaust shop just simply replaces, without checking what influence it has on your kW and Nm - you might gain some in the higher rev range and you lose some lower down. This is not what you want for offroading!

The best is to take it to a place that dynos the car before and after the fitment and makes sure you get what you want. It normally costs quite a bit more, but it's worth it in the end. Up here in Gangster's Paradise, the best guys are probably Viper Exhausts in Kempton Park. I see they do one for the V6 and it pushes power from 168kW to 189kW and 390Nm to 435Nm. I'm not sure what application it's for, but give them a call and ask them. I don't have their number on me, but will look and also post it here.

Good luck! :mrgreen:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Just found it! Viper Performance Exhausts: (011) 394 1895

They might not be able to sort you, but they will be able to give you some good advice.
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
jguthrie

Post by jguthrie »

Great, thanks for the good feedback - I will give them a call.
John Guthrie
2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/Cab
ZU1JG
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi John,

I personally would not change the exhaust on the 4.0 lt, however I might consider removing the cats in the exhaust.

I have found that on the 4.5 EFI Land Cruiser Pickups that I converted in my days at SAC, the branch and Freeflow would only add more noise to the vehicle and on the dyno we could only measure about 1.2-2km on the rear wheels.

The cost involved for increasing that slight bit of more power it was not making sence, and also they tend to blow the manifold gaskets on the branch and downpipe, which added more hassels to a perfect reliable system.

It only works when you do a conversion on a small diameter pipe vehicle ie HIlux 2.2 & 2.4's

The 4.0 Lt's pipe is a semi free flow already with a resonater box to keep the noise very low. It is also big enough and I cant see the benefits of changing the full system on it.
Johan Marais
jguthrie

Post by jguthrie »

Hi Johann,

Thanks for the good advise.

I am going to have a chat with Koosie Swanepoel from Koosie Swanepoel Developments and see he has experienced as he does the whole dyno before and after thing.

Cheers,
John Guthrie
john@iwarehouse.co.za
http://www.iwarehouse.co.za
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi John,

Its a pleasure, like I said that was then, dont really know about the new vehicle's anymore.... :roll:

Please let me know what the outcome is of your decision as I am very interested to see what the results is when you do decide to change the exhaust on your Hilux.
Johan Marais

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”