Difference Between HiLux V6 ECU and Prado V6 ECU

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
iniazy
Town: Dhahran
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner

Difference Between HiLux V6 ECU and Prado V6 ECU

Post by iniazy »

Hi there,

I know I'm not a very active member here, but I have reached a roadblock in my project and need to talk about it.

I got a supercharger installed on my Fortuner V6, and ordered an Engine Management System from URDUSA.com, which is a plug-and-play unit that fits straight on to the 1GR ECUs. They developed it for the Toyota Tacoma, but has worked perfectly with FJ Cruisers and 4Runners. Never been tried on a HiLux V6 or a Fortuner. So I went ahead and bought it (which is quite expensive), but to my disappointment, the engine wouldn't run after installing it. The ignition coils are not firing, even though all the plugs fit the Fortuner ECU plugs perfectly.

The FJ, Tacoma, and 4Runner, share platform and drive train with the Prado, so is it possible that the Prado ECU differs from the HiLux/Fortuner V6 ECU?

Here's the picture of the unit installed on my ECU:

Codes throne by the OBDII port:

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Re: Difference Between HiLux V6 ECU and Prado V6 ECU

Post by Big D »

Hi Ibrahim

Google those codes and post their meanings / descriptions here.

This EMS that you ordered from the USA, is it a standalone unit, or does it piggy back on the OEM ECU? On the Picture it looks like a piggy back type.
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Those codes mean that all six ignition coils not working.

It is a piggy-back, but a very sophisticated one. It works in closed loop, monitors MAF, AFR and O2 sensors, and adjusts its tune automatically and accordingly.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

P0351 Ignition Coil "A" Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0352 Ignition Coil "B" Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0353 Ignition Coil "C" Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0354 Ignition Coil "D" Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0355 Ignition Coil "E" Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0356 Ignition Coil "F" Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Perhaps you should see if you can compare part numbers on the different ECUs to see if they are in fact the same. If they are it would mean that you need to look for an issue on your vehicle. Have the guys in the States ever encountered such a problem on the Tacoms/4runners?

Does the ECU short to ground to fire the Coils? On most ecu's it shorts to ground to fire the injectors so it is possible that it could be the same for the coils. The fact that it is all the coils seems to indicate to me that it could be an earthing problem.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

That's a very good point. All coils have a common ground, it could be a grounding problem.

ECU part numbers vary even within the same vehicle, at different year models. Part numbers most definitely will not match. Even within HiLuxes of different year models they will have different part numbers.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

Will never work the Prado and the Fortuners keys frequency's differ so the Fortuners keys wont activate the Prado ecu so no power to the coils.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

I didn't change the ECU. Just wondering if there are differences between them.

Checked the ground signal for coils, they are working fine. So that can't be the problem here.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Hang on, I could be way off but let's for a second assume the added "device" to the ECU is in fact a "piggy back"....

The function thereof is probably key to diagnosing the fault? Piggybacks are used to intercept signals and manipulate to/from the ECU. In some instances drive additional signals/equipment, in your case a supercharger.

Thereby, could we not establish exactly what the added piggyback manipulates ie. which signals it changes and which ones it leaves be.

If it is the case that the signal the piggyback is trying to push through the ECU is not recognizable by said ECU then cut that signal, don't let the piggyback change it. Will be a painstaking exercise, but couldn't you do some research, find which plug and then which wire messes with the ignition coils and just pull those ones.

Will definitely not be the most elegant solution but it just might be whats holding you back.

One problem I can see and guru's please help me out here, as soon as you bolt on a supercharger, does your ignition timings have to advance more the what the ECU is used to, in such a case you will run into problems if the OEM ECU tries to drive the coils like it's used to...

If i'm totaly missing the point and completely wrong please disregard post.... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Have a look to see if there is a Unichip dealer close to you. The Unichip can drive a supercharger, no sweat!

Does the car run with the original ecu only?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Attached is what I could find on the internet

Check with your multimeter if theres continuity from the coils to the ECU. The IGF and IGT signals. It could be that they stop at the piggy back and never reach the OEM ECU. Therefore the OEM ECU thinks their is a problem with the circuit. This is most probably the case because the Piggy back will intercept the original signal of the coils to manipulate them and to control the timing.

You will have to google your ECU and find a pin out, to see what pins are exactly IGF and IGT 1-6

On your picture there is also some wires that are joined / spliced. What are those?
Attachments
1grfe ignition.PNG
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

So I took out the UCON EMS and did a very basic wiring of the PerfectPower piggyback, only to control the MAF sensor signals, and it works perfectly.

So nothing is wrong with my harness or wiring, it is either a bad unit, or it is incompatible with my Fortuner ECU.

phpBB [video]

View Original

The reason I'm replacing the perfect Power SMT8 is that this piece of junk can't control the engine with larger injectors. It just goes haywire, and their documentations is absolutely lousy and horrible, filled with mistakes.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”