2.5 D4D S/C Mods

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Bean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D S/C

2.5 D4D S/C Mods

Post by Bean »

Hi,

I just bought a 2010 2.5 d4d SRX S/C 4x4. Great vehicle accept for the power. So I read a little bit on the mods and decided to go for a Chip and inter cooler with de cat. So the first bit arrived today.. the inter cooler. I had a look at a couple of chips, did anyone ever fitted these plug an play chips. Where I live we do not have much options so I was thinking of installing myself. Would like to get someones opinion who did it himself as it seems easy enough just to plug it in. Will post some pics when the cooler is fitted..

Thanks,
Attie
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Re: 2.5 D4D S/C Mods

Post by Ou vale1 »

I fitted the Racechip Pro and a huge improvement. Takes 2 minutes to fit.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Attie welcome to the forum.

I also have a 2010 2,5 SRX. End 2013 I had the following done:

- replace the massive silencer box with a freeflow box. NO changes to the exhaust pipe, as it is already a nice thick pipe. You will be pleasantly surprized by the improvement !! The turbo spools up MUCH easier, and it keeps going further into the rev range.

- I then had an intercooler fitted.

- the next morning I took it to have a Uin-chip fitted and to have it dyno tuned. :) :)

Personally I wont use a pug and play chip on the 2,5 - for the following reason. The whole idea of a chip, and specifically dyno tuning is to get the best out of your setup, ie to fine tune it from the generic setup the factory installs. Now if you look at the 3,0 D-4D the chip guys pretty much know what can be improved, and it is possible to provide a generic chip, even if this still may only get you partly to the potential best result of a dyno tune. Now think again about the 2,5 .... by the time we add a chip there are just TOOOOO many variables. What does your exhaust and back pressure look like, okay the that of the 2,5 ? What intercooler did you install ... ? It would be more than dumb luck if you found a pre-programmed chip that actually fits your needs, for the 2,5.

Also when having it dyno tuned you can speak to the tuner and get a custom tune for your needs. Izac at Dynotech tuned mine to be "okay" at low speed, and to unleach the horses when I floor it. Thus I actually do have better fuel consumption below 110km/h, but if I floor it there is enough power to pass a truck.
Bean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bean »

Hi, thanks for the info Chris. it`s a cirrus cooler kit. Still have to install it. Did you make any changes on your down pipe from the turbo? I also read that it is worth it to remove the catalyst box as this also cause a lot of back pressure. I might just opt for a good complete free flow system. Looks like I will have to make a trip to JHB or PTA for the chip then, makes sense to get it dyno tuned properly.

I also received my 550mm light bar. Still deciding where i want to fit it. Will keep posting as I go along..
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Attie I had a LONG chat with Hoppy (thee best Hilux wisperer, and a member here) about removing the cat, and going bigger with the pipes. Yes, one could get another half a horse ... but for the effort and money it is not worth it. Removing that one box at the back is only a few hundred rand and by far the bulk of the power you will gain from the exhaust. Granted if you throw a few thousand at it you could get a bit more power ...

No, we kept the downpipe the same .... IF I went the complete exhaust route this would have been on my shopping list.

Something to consider - have a long hard look at the front of your vehicle. HOW will the air reach the intercooler ? I had to drill a series of holes in the aftermarket bumper to ensure proper airflow over the intercooler. All the effort means nothing if the intercooler cant cool the air down .... With this in mind plan the placement of the lightbar ..... oooops :)
Bean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bean »

Thanks for all the info Chris, much appreciated. I installed my Racechip pro yesterday and did a 63mm freeflow today.. have a major difference in the response of the Hilux, will still hav to take it for a dyno ta have the exact figure but no complaints so far.

I fitted the light bar but my honnest oppinion is I don't like the look very much, will add some pics thinking I must go back to the spots. For the intercooler it is a bit of a challenge for a DIY but am working on it.

The next in line is a snorkel, picking it up on Thursday.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.9 KiB) Viewed 10982 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 10982 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 10982 times
Bean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bean »

Snorkel and light bar fitted...
Attachments
IMG-20150724-WA0003.jpg
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Nice looking hilux you have there Attie
Bean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bean »

FIRSTGEER wrote:Nice looking hilux you have there Attie
Thanks.. :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Looking good Attie...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Did you do the exhaust from the turbo down?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Bean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bean »

Hi Thabo, sorry for the late reply, am out of the country. Yes, I did the down pipe with full system.
DawidT
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux, 2.5D4D, DC 4X4

Post by DawidT »

Great looking Hilux!!! I did very similar to what you have done - and all of it in Witbank including dyno, just round the corner from you. Lots more power and can also overtake trucks now!
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Haboob wrote:Looking good Attie...
+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:
MBrown
Town: Swartberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5

Post by MBrown »

Iv also got a racechip . Just the standard one set on stardard settings , 2 mins to fit.
Question .. what about a performance air filter ? K N have got one hat fit in the hilux . Is it worth it ? Will it effect the engine in the long term . 90% of my driving is dirt roads .
I need as much power as i can get because i have now got 31x10.5 R15 M/T tyres. 4th is my new 5th . fuel consumption is down to 8.8km/L . but as long as they keeping making diesel i dont mind .
MBrown

Post by MBrown »

Im not so pc clever , how do you post a pic ?
MBrown

Post by MBrown »

unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
Bielie007
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.5 d4d sc srx

Post by Bielie007 »

Hi guys I would just like to know if someone can please post a picture of a cat because I have a 2014 model and I dont see it only the box at the back it is the standard srx model not the vnt model
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

The early models did not have a DPF. My 2015 3.0 D4D did not have one. It looks like a small silencer close to the down pipe. I suspect that your bakkie also does not have it.
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

MBrown wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:28 pm Iv also got a racechip . Just the standard one set on stardard settings , 2 mins to fit.
Question .. what about a performance air filter ? K N have got one hat fit in the hilux . Is it worth it ? Will it effect the engine in the long term . 90% of my driving is dirt roads .
I need as much power as i can get because i have now got 31x10.5 R15 M/T tyres. 4th is my new 5th . fuel consumption is down to 8.8km/L . but as long as they keeping making diesel i dont mind .
I must say that I really do not like K&N filters for off-road or dusty conditions. It is fine for a race car going around a circuit but something totally different on a working bakkie that goes on dirt roads. K&N filters are only good for keeping half bricks and mossies out of the air intake.

To much dirt ingress will definitely increase wear.
Last edited by Mars on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bielie007
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.5 d4d sc srx

Post by Bielie007 »

Mars wrote:The early models did not have a DPF. My 2015 3.0 D4D did not have one. It looks like a small silencer close to the down pipe. I suspect that your bakkie also does not have it.
Thanks alot beause i had a look at exhaust system pictures on google from original toyota exhausts for the bakkie but it looks different than mine! But thanks again for your help

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”