Fox suspension vs Old Man Emu suspension

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Post Reply
Stefan9006
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:10 pm
Town: Postmasburg
Vehicle: 3.0 Hilux D4d
Real Name: Stefan

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Het een van julle enige ondervinding hoe die Fox suspension vergelyk met die Old Man Emu's in n Toyota Hilux?ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux Xtracab 3.0 D-4D 4x4 2014
Real Name: Vian

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:10 pm

Naand. Ek het so n ruk terug ook probeer kyk hoe fox met die ander op die mark vergelyk.

Ek kon glad nie veel terugvoer kry nie, maar daar word vertel (deur die fox verskaffer) dat daar n paar hiluxe met hulle rondloop.

My grootste storie met die fox is dat jy in die kit net die 4 skokbrekers kry, en nie bladvere en sulke dinge nie. Dalk is dit net die plek by wie ek gehoor het maar fox het nie n volle kit vir n hilux nie.

Ouens soos tjm silverlakes is hul fitment centre so hulle sal wel vir jou n kit kan opstel.

Groete
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer

User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)
Real Name: Chris

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:21 am

bietjie generiese inligting -


JA - jy gaan beslis bladvere nodig hê as jy jou wa uitkit en LAAI .... die standaard vere kan nie die gewig dra nie.

EN, as jy n staal bumper en n winch opsit moet jy die coils voor vervang met sterker eenhede.



As jy die Ironman katalogus sien sal jy sien hulle VRA watter gewig gaan jy voor en agter dra om die regte coils en vere te verskaf.

sagte vere en swaar vrag en sy gat sleep ...

te hard met te min gewig en jy niere gaan stukken stamp ...

baie belangrik om die vrag en die vere te "match".



"shocks" se primere doel is om die sinkplaat plat te maak .... dis nou vir ons 4x4's. Vir racing soek jy beslis n heel ander tipe shock .....

Dan iets heel anders - vir ons 4x4's soek ons langer shocks vir langer suspension travel ... DIT is nou weer n heel ander onderwerp !!



Iets anders aan die FOX eenhede - die verstelbaarheid !

In teorie kan jy die coil "op-stel" wanneer jy vrag dra. EN, jy kan die gasdruk in die schock aanpas volgens die terrein se behoeftes .....

Klink goed. Wonder hoeveel eienaars, die gewone 4x4 man, wel met elke trip die shocks gaan "tune" ....



wat die kwaliteit betref .... sal interressant wees om te sien hoe dit trails en toere hanteer, met lekker swaar vrag ...

Stefan9006
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:10 pm
Town: Postmasburg
Vehicle: 3.0 Hilux D4d
Real Name: Stefan

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:43 am

Mens kry die 4 skokbrekers en die voorste 2 skokbrekers kry jy nuwe coils saam. Agter kry jy nie bladvere saam nie. Die voorste suspensie lig die hilux se neus met 50mm. Die die hilux loop dan gelyk.

Die skokbrekers is volle diensbaar en jy kry n 2 jaar onbeperkte waarborg.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Medic911
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:36 am
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 DC Legend 45
Real Name: Ferdi

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Who supplies the Fox Shocks for the Hilux? I had Fox 2.0 on my JKU Wrangler and they were excellent. Worth every penny. They were fitted as part of a 3inch lift kit. Onroad handling was much improved compared to OEM and offroad there was just no comparison. My Hilux with the stock suspension does not come close. :cooldude:
2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 Legend 45
RSI Signature Canopy
Thule Roofrack and Rod Holders

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:13 am
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5
Real Name: Luke

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:45 pm

Comparing fox2.0 to ome nitro chargers is a waste of time, two completely different items! A race bred shock v an everyday use offroad shock. Why not compare it to the ome bp51s designed by a guy from the fox offroad team who now work for arb. These new struts are in a league of their own. Big bucks tho!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

User avatar
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux Xtracab 3.0 D-4D 4x4 2014
Real Name: Vian

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:49 pm

I take it theres a few of the luxes running fox in Aus? How do they perform as an everyday and overlanding shock compared to the normal OMEs.
The reason for making this comparison is that the BP-51s are seriously expensive in SA where as the fox is a bit more realistically priced
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:13 am
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5
Real Name: Luke

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:41 am

There are a few but not many! There are a couple of other brands that are popular over here, ultimate and billstien. Guys who are after a full 2 or more inches of lift go with these two but if they are after long-term performance most will end up with ome. Having an adjustable shock for everyday use is simply a waste of money! Then you get the guys who don't care and slap brands like ironman or tough dog in there 50-60,000+ rig, you just paid premium coin for your vehicle so why wouldn't you do the same when buying accessories! Where I work I remove all sorts of other brands amd replace them ome as alot of then just don't go the distance out here, this is why many of the big names in suspension use our patch of dirt as a testing ground! Plus we are probably roughest bunch around with our gear. I see alot of these race bred shocks(fox and ome bp51s) fail because they simply aren't designed to do the miles. They design these things to be rebuilt for a reason, the race teams will strip and rebuild most component's between races! Well there's my 2c!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

User avatar
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux Xtracab 3.0 D-4D 4x4 2014
Real Name: Vian

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:32 am

Thanks for the input mate, lots of valid arguments there. Looks like OME stays on top overall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer

User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)
Real Name: Chris

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:50 am

lukestoyzx wrote:There are a few but not many! There are a couple of other brands that are popular over here, ultimate and billstien. Guys who are after a full 2 or more inches of lift go with these two but if they are after long-term performance most will end up with ome. Having an adjustable shock for everyday use is simply a waste of money! Then you get the guys who don't care and slap brands like ironman or tough dog in there 50-60,000+ rig, you just paid premium coin for your vehicle so why wouldn't you do the same when buying accessories! Where I work I remove all sorts of other brands amd replace them ome as alot of then just don't go the distance out here, this is why many of the big names in suspension use our patch of dirt as a testing ground! Plus we are probably roughest bunch around with our gearImage. I see alot of these race bred shocks(fox and ome bp51s) fail because they simply aren't designed to do the miles. They design these things to be rebuilt for a reason, the race teams will strip and rebuild most component's between races! Well there's my 2c!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
uhm ja ....

I DO care about my rig ! :thumbup: :thumbup:

And I certainly did not "slap on" Ironman .... :shock2: :naah: I had it installed after careful consideration of the options.


Fact is that Ironman IS a decent brand. Gave me many years and many miles of excellent service. :thumbup:

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:13 am
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5
Real Name: Luke

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:58 am

Many do get good service, I was simply stating my observations over the past few years!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

User avatar
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:51 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996
Real Name: Louis
Location: Pretoria, Centurion

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 am

Guys its quite simple.

Always compare apples with apples. ie compare the items for the same price level. You cant compare a top of the range racing shock with std Gabriel shock. Was made for different purposes.

I know OME quite long, they fitted on 2 of my Hilux's over 7 years each. I cant complain, both gave great service sofar. But both bakkies have different purposes. One 4x4 the odd 4x4 trail, mild to wild but also have get me there and back safely. That's the SFA. Then the other an IFS Hilux, this is long road or Overlanding, This one carry lots of weight. The setup each Hilux are different.

The SFA done sofar 65 000km of road travel combined with 4x4 tracks. The IFS done sofar 120 000km Overlanding covering Mozambique, Malawi, Zambie, Botswana into Namimbia back to SA now 3 times.

The thing is get your Suspension worked out properly, match it as close you can. But most important, maintain your suspension, it works more than you think.

I will never brand bash, not my style. Any suspension not set up will get a " bad suspension label". I drove different vehicles, different suspension types and few stand more out than other.

Its your money, spend it wisely.

User avatar
JacoBredenkamp
Commercial Member
Commercial Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 pm
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4
Real Name: Jaco
Location: Boksburg
Contact:

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Guys

We do all the brands and makes- OME BP51 & Nitrocharger, FOX, EFS Elite & XTR, IRONMAN Nitrogas, FoamCell & FoamCell Pro. In the last 18 Years we have done a couple of different systems on a couple of different vehicles.
Fact is most of the various suspensions is good quality and worth every penny.
The most important issue here would be - the correct suspension system for the specific application!!
If have have +-R65000 for Complete OME BP51, or +- R27000 for FOX Suspension excluding Leaf springs, or IRONMAN FOAM CELL PRO complete for +-R26000-00, then fit whatever you fancy, but not every person can afford these amounts, but that does not make the one that much better than the other, especially under normal driving circumstances or even the average 4x4 trail.
Here is a couple of photo`s of the OME BP51, FOX & Ironman Foam Cell Pro.
Give us a call for unbiased honest advice.
Jaco - 082 805 9677
Lobiz 4x4
Attachments
14322468_658397660996396_5138881139257542148_n.jpg
14390920_658398424329653_7730966840820248919_n.jpg
14441188_658398427662986_6999302364448033616_n.jpg
14368648_658397727663056_3335317015583484067_n.jpg
13631652_621253624710800_9151704556421955675_n.jpg
13620916_621253404710822_2729513954743310980_n.jpg
13592750_621253644710798_6329835258749020377_n.jpg
14462870_660511584118337_351142375115219504_n.jpg
14359162_660511284118367_8885728114839575732_n.jpg
14469450_660511310785031_2944291129337768099_n.jpg
12963431_584668785035951_3565234573735604552_n.jpg
12938272_584668691702627_5015475020818366459_n.jpg
12417883_584668631702633_3992727606824328578_n.jpg

User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)
Real Name: Chris

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:08 am

JacoBredenkamp wrote:Hi Guys

....
The most important issue here would be - the correct suspension system for the specific application!!
...
And THIS is the key.

Both in terms of brand, and the model from a particular brand, should fit the purpose of use - both in terms of the vehicle load and the terrain.

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:48 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T
Real Name: Mohamed

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:21 am

LouisZ wrote:Guys its quite simple.

Always compare apples with apples. ie compare the items for the same price level. You cant compare a top of the range racing shock with std Gabriel shock. Was made for different purposes.

I know OME quite long, they fitted on 2 of my Hilux's over 7 years each. I cant complain, both gave great service sofar. But both bakkies have different purposes. One 4x4 the odd 4x4 trail, mild to wild but also have get me there and back safely. That's the SFA. Then the other an IFS Hilux, this is long road or Overlanding, This one carry lots of weight. The setup each Hilux are different.

The SFA done sofar 65 000km of road travel combined with 4x4 tracks. The IFS done sofar 120 000km Overlanding covering Mozambique, Malawi, Zambie, Botswana into Namimbia back to SA now 3 times.

The thing is get your Suspension worked out properly, match it as close you can. But most important, maintain your suspension, it works more than you think.

I will never brand bash, not my style. Any suspension not set up will get a " bad suspension label". I drove different vehicles, different suspension types and few stand more out than other.

Its your money, spend it wisely.
How do you maintain suspension? I'm quite new to offroading but haven't heard about maintaining suspension. Will i be able to do it at home? I'm slowly starting to learn how do stuff in my hilux.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

User avatar
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:51 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996
Real Name: Louis
Location: Pretoria, Centurion

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:56 am

Mohamed its on the rear leaf springs that you can re grease the hanger bushes from time to time. Sometimes grease the inter leaf liners too between the blades.

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:48 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T
Real Name: Mohamed

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:17 am

LouisZ wrote:Mohamed its on the rear leaf springs that you can re grease the hanger bushes from time to time. Sometimes grease the inter leaf liners too between the blades.
Sweet, any specific type of grease that I should use?

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

User avatar
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:51 pm
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996
Real Name: Louis
Location: Pretoria, Centurion

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Graphite grease should work perfect.

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:48 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T
Real Name: Mohamed

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:19 pm

LouisZ wrote:Graphite grease should work perfect.
Awesome thanks, will i be able to use this grease for my Universal's also ? See they should also be greased regularly

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users