recovery points ?

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ge23ev
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:11 pm
Town: Tehran
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux
Real Name: Shayan Givehchian

Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Hey guys
i'm thinking about adding some recovery point to my vigo since there isn't any factory installed on the rear.
i have the original factory rear bumper.
i was thinking about a bracket with tow hitch or maybe just a recovery point for on the chassis to hook the shackles to.
any tips or info would be great on what will work best or even what i should do without changing the way it is since im kinda new to this thing and maybe i just couldnt find the tow points on the rear
thanks alot
Attachments
20160201_132112263_iOS.jpg

User avatar
Parabat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:04 pm
Town: Colchester
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 HL2
Real Name: Ruari

Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:56 pm

To be honest, the front eyes are not actually rated recovery points, have a look at ARB front recovery points for the front. Would a beefy towbar not work for the back? You might want to see if anyone can fabricate rear recovery points if you don't want to use a towbar.

User avatar
Ge23ev
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:11 pm
Town: Tehran
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux
Real Name: Shayan Givehchian

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Parabat wrote:To be honest, the front eyes are not actually rated recovery points, have a look at ARB front recovery points for the front. Would a beefy towbar not work for the back? You might want to see if anyone can fabricate rear recovery points if you don't want to use a towbar.

what do you think about something like this ?
Attachments
Monster_Rides_05_Hilux_Front_Recovery_Point_01.jpg

User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)
Real Name: Chris

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:05 pm

The concept is good.

TWO things to watch:

- use the correct bolts !!

- have a good look if the rope/strap will clear the bumper ....

User avatar
Ge23ev
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:11 pm
Town: Tehran
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux
Real Name: Shayan Givehchian

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:58 am

ChrisF wrote:The concept is good.

TWO things to watch:

- use the correct bolts !!

- have a good look if the rope/strap will clear the bumper ....


Im kinda worried about the strap or shackles getting out of the hook in tension.

User avatar
Mud Dog
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 28393
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:18 am
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Real Name: Andy

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:03 pm

Nah, that won't just happen - tension will pull it into the hook. A lot of guys use those hooks. Personally I prefer a shackle - it's a bit more tedious to hook up but the ratings are nomally better than an open ended hook. The other thing I think about is that spring clip .... it'll get rusty over time, not a safety issue at all (unless it rusts off completely) but will just look crappy. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Image
Image

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

User avatar
Parabat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:04 pm
Town: Colchester
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 HL2
Real Name: Ruari

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Ge23ev wrote:
Parabat wrote:To be honest, the front eyes are not actually rated recovery points, have a look at ARB front recovery points for the front. Would a beefy towbar not work for the back? You might want to see if anyone can fabricate rear recovery points if you don't want to use a towbar.

what do you think about something like this ?
Looks OK, seems to have a load bearing rating stamped on it, just check that it's rated to the weight of your vehicle. Remember as well, always try to have two recovery points rather than one on the vehicle being recovered.
Shackles - make sure that they are similarly rated for recovery.

I'm going to be getting the ARB recovery points in the future -
Image

nswart
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 pm
Town: London
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Real Name: Naas
Location: United Kingdom

Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Parabat wrote:
Ge23ev wrote:
Parabat wrote:To be honest, the front eyes are not actually rated recovery points, have a look at ARB front recovery points for the front. Would a beefy towbar not work for the back? You might want to see if anyone can fabricate rear recovery points if you don't want to use a towbar.

what do you think about something like this ?
Looks OK, seems to have a load bearing rating stamped on it, just check that it's rated to the weight of your vehicle. Remember as well, always try to have two recovery points rather than one on the vehicle being recovered.
Shackles - make sure that they are similarly rated for recovery.

I'm going to be getting the ARB recovery points in the future -
Image
I bought mine from APB trading. Good service received from them.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Choppies
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:05 am
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0l D4D 4x4 A/T D/C P/U
Real Name: Jacques
Club VHF Licence: HC323

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Parabat wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:16 pm
Ge23ev wrote:
Parabat wrote:To be honest, the front eyes are not actually rated recovery points, have a look at ARB front recovery points for the front. Would a beefy towbar not work for the back? You might want to see if anyone can fabricate rear recovery points if you don't want to use a towbar.

what do you think about something like this ?
Looks OK, seems to have a load bearing rating stamped on it, just check that it's rated to the weight of your vehicle. Remember as well, always try to have two recovery points rather than one on the vehicle being recovered.
Shackles - make sure that they are similarly rated for recovery.

I'm going to be getting the ARB recovery points in the future -
Image
Hi

Does anyone know where in SA I can purchase recovery points like these? Or any other decent recovery point?
Image Link Broken

2012 Toyota Hilux 3.0L D4D D/C 4x4 Auto
2014 Kia Rio TEC (SWAMBO's Platkar)

Veni Vidi Vici

Post Reply

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users