vigo max wheel size

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

vigo max wheel size

Post by rigardt »

I don't need new tyres now but looking at the prices I want to start saving for them right now
I'm thinking bigger and wider.
just not sure how big or how wide I can or should go ?
I have seen less capable vehicles climb over holes where I fell in
currently have 265 / 70 / 16
do I go bigger or wider or both ?
2012 vigo standard suspension with suspension levelling kit in the front
not looking at any other suspension mods right now
don't use the vehicle daily so not tooo worried about fuel consumption with the new wheels
suggestions ?
venom38
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: hilux d4d

Re: vigo max wheel size

Post by venom38 »

I have the cruzer size on. Very happy. 265 75 16. Thus sidewall is 5 percent of 265 larger. I have ome on but with spacers it should fit
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Can't believe people are still buying spacers! F that!!! Anyway you should get away with 265 and have minimal scrubbing, it all comes down to what offset wheels your running!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by rigardt »

I was thinking of going bigger in size. like 17" or 18". would that make a difference ? or must I rather do a higher profile than what I currently have ?
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Anyone planning on doin any serious kind of offroading would regret goin any bigger than 16, 17 max. The ride once you go bigger than that horrible!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

rigardt wrote:I was thinking of going bigger in size. like 17" or 18". would that make a difference ? or must I rather do a higher profile than what I currently have ?
The lower the profile the less air cushion you have between the rim and the road. This can affect general ride comfort to some degree, the probability of rim damage (potholes and rough terrain), and in an off-road situation allows less safe deflating of tyres for achieving a bigger 'footprint' that relates to traction.

So all round benefits favour going for a higher profile. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Mud Dog wrote:
rigardt wrote:I was thinking of going bigger in size. like 17" or 18". would that make a difference ? or must I rather do a higher profile than what I currently have ?
The lower the profile the less air cushion you have between the rim and the road. This can affect general ride comfort to some degree, the probability of rim damage (potholes and rough terrain), and in an off-road situation allows less safe deflating of tyres for achieving a bigger 'footprint' that relates to traction.

So all round benefits favour going for a higher profile. :winkx:
to take Andy's point further -

when driving sand you need to deflate to increase the footprint. The bigger the rim size, the less you can deflate, actually restricting your options.

The same applies when doing rocky trails. You to slightly deflate the tires so the rubber can "mold over" rocks rather than being cut by it. But the danger is that you then damage the rims ... again larger rim sizes count against you.

The very serious trail riders actually switch to smaller rims, for the reasons above.

in 2013 we did a trip along the Orange River. There was one very tricky section. Coming out I went ahead and set up my video camera for the other vehicles - all different brands. All drivers with fair to decent trail experience. One gent got out and guided his friend - bump bump bump over the rocks ! Others had less bumps ... then comes an elderly gent in an IFS Hilux, they all stay in the vehicle, he never stops to check the trail, just looks ahead and scouts the route, he idles out without one single bump !! Stock standard Hilux !! simply no replacement for experience. :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I run 265/75/16 BFG A/T's on stock Hilux/Fortuner rims and with a 2" LAS Profender suspension lift. Even with the lift, the left front was a nightmare, scrubbed on the front bumper something chronic. Especially when turning into my driveway. At least there was no scrubbing at the rear, which is where the real problems start. The front is easier to sort out by cutting the plastic stock bumper liners.

I decided to take the stock bumper off and fitted a GOMAD4x4 front bumper and solved that problem. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by rigardt »

thanks guys. so will stay with my 16's but try a higher profile for my next tyres.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”