Late response

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
ykablay
Town: gaborone
Vehicle: 2.7 hilux

Late response

Post by ykablay »

Hi guys. I got a legend 35 2,7 hilux double cab which I bought second hand and unfortunately it got a late response on the accelerator and the full power only comes after 3000r/min. I've recently serviced it and changed the spark plugs as well. Any recommendations of what to do next? Thanks in advance.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Late response

Post by pietpetoors »

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, engine only wakes up at about 3400 rpm.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ykablay

Post by ykablay »

Did you manage to get the problem sorted?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Yassir. :thumbup:

Perhaps you could look at having it chipped and dyno'd by someone reputable in your area. This allows one to tweak the otherwise static timing and fuelling values written into the OEM ECU. Done correctly it should give you more responsiveness and better fuel economy with more power throughout the rev range.

If there are guys here that have had this done, they could share their findings.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

No, not sorted out, that is how they are. At about 3400 rpm it feels like a power band kicking in.
Unless yours are very severe it is "normal"
As Andy said, only way is an aftermarket chip so you can adjust it to your liking.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome to the forum.
Hope you getsorted ...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ykablay

Post by ykablay »

It is quick severe coz like at 1500r/min the power is very little the vehicle actually jerks and I have to downshift. I'm suspecting it could be the airflow sensor or the throttle sensor not sure tho.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Are you perhaps more used to diesel vehicles that have that little bit extra grunt at low revs? :D:
Depending on the load (up hill / sand driving / towing or loaded) you should be in 1st or 2nd at those revs, maybe 3rd. That's just a tad above idle.

Maybe check the MAF and clean it very carefully / delicately if you're worried about it (don't use solvents that leave a residue - benzine or even electrical contact cleaner will do). The TPS very rarely will give a problem, but you could have it checked for peace of mind as well.

Otherwise chip it.

Just an afterthought ..... I don't know from where your motor picks up the trigger pulse (crank, flywheel or dizzy), but that mag or optical sensor is another possible problem area if the motor is misfiring. However from your description this does not really seem to be the case.

Good luck. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

It is quick severe coz like at 1500r/min the power is very little the vehicle actually jerks and I have to downshift. I'm suspecting it could be the airflow sensor or the throttle sensor not sure tho.
Ja then something is wrong. Even at 1500 it should be smooth.
Agree, start cleaning the air flow sensor. Also check plug leads if they are still ok. Look at all the little vacuum tubes and see that there is not maybe one cracked one.
ykablay

Post by ykablay »

pietpetoors wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 am
Ja then something is wrong. Even at 1500 it should be smooth.
Agree, start cleaning the air flow sensor. Also check plug leads if they are still ok. Look at all the little vacuum tubes and see that there is not maybe one cracked one.
Do you have any idea of how I can clean it and where is it located?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

It might be the fuel pump.

Have a pressure test done at Toyota.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ykablay

Post by ykablay »

Hi guys just thought of letting you know that I managed to sort out the late response problem. Luckily it wasn't a serious problem, all I did was cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner , a toothbrush and a cloth😂 And now it's much better with no jerks at all!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear! :thumbup:

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”