Performance Chips

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
junglerider
Town: Uvita
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 am

I have a 2008 3.0 D4D and looking for a little more power. I've read good things about Unichip but they are not available in my country, Costa Rica. Anyone have any insight on RaceChip? Pros, cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by junglerider on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:06 am

Welcome aboard, Will! :thumbup:

Not too clued up on the chips, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3lt D4D DC 4X4

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 am

From what I have seen the Racechip is quite popular. There are a number of threads on the forum that you can search and also a poll on them. I think it is under the sub forum "modifications"

junglerider

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 am

Thanks for the welcome. I'm waiting for 'that guy' to advise. Every forum has one or two members that knows all. I'm new here but you guys know who he is. Send him my way please.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:32 am

junglerider wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 am
Thanks for the welcome. I'm waiting for 'that guy' to advise. Every forum has one or two members that knows all. I'm new here but you guys know who he is. Send him my way please.

:D: We'd like to think we know it all. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Mars

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 am

Standard forum etiquette is to do your searches and homework first and then to pose questions. There are lots of very knowledgeable guys on the forum. No-one likes to be taken advantage of though.

junglerider

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Mars wrote:Standard forum etiquette is to do your searches and homework first and then to pose questions. There are lots of very knowledgeable guys on the forum. No-one likes to be taken advantage of though.
Thanks Mars. I did and there is not a lot of info here. A few guys use it, one guy says it's junk and will burn holes in the pistons. So far I haven't found any valuable info like WHY it is good or bad. Maybe people don't know and I'm in the wrong place. They seem to just bolt things on that they see other people bolting on without asking themselves why that product.

junglerider

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:04 pm

There are lots of very knowledgeable guys on the forum. No-one likes to be taken advantage of though.[/quote]
Thought forums were for sharing info. Didn't realize that was 'taking advantage'

Mars

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 am

The reason why performance chips work is that it is possible to take over the injection timing and the volume of diesel injected into the engine from the engine ECU using an external processor. It is very easy to improve performance in a diesel engine. You simply inject more diesel. The problem/risk is that with a diesel engine a richer combustion mixture leads to higher combustion temperatures.

The success of adding a chip is therefore dependent on how it is implemented. The safest option is to have a chip installed that is calibrated to your specific vehicle on a dynamometer by professional installers. In that manner they can adjust the injection profile to achieve an optimum setting for your vehicle which will not be the maximum performance you can get from the vehicle.

With the "plug-and-play chips" you hope that the program on the chip is a conservative profile and not simply set up for maximum power or somewhere close to it.

Holes get burnt in pistons if there is a hot spot that is created on the piston crown due to too much diesel being concentrated in one spot. Normally this results from a leaking injector. I suppose it is possible to over fuel an injector to the point where the diesel in not atomized properly leading to a hot spot on the piston but I am speculating. I suspect that the burnt piston/s was a combination of over fueling and old/leaky injectors.

Another risk is the increased combustion temperatures lead to increased exhaust gas temperatures and increased cylinder head temperatures. Under heavy load such as towing a trailer uphill and full acceleration it is very easy for the cylinder head temperatures to quickly reach dangerous levels which could lead to valve seat recession, burning exhaust valves or other damage to the cylinder head.

Most guys go for the Dastek Q-chip which is installed and calibrated for your specific vehicle on a dyno and they follow a more conservative approach. The Diesel Torque chips also seem to be quite popular. Of the plug and play chips they seem to be the most popular.

It is not only the risk of over fueling but some guys have also reported their vehicles going into limp mode under hard acceleration or load conditions such as when overtaking another vehicle.

There seems to be a correlation between the price of the chip and the end result. I would be hesitant to fit a plug and play chip.
Last edited by Mars on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

Mmm, now that is what I call an informed, educated, and well-worded response. Informative, based on fact, rather than speculation. Your reply also underscores my philosophy of rather keeping the vehicle stock standard. I drive a 2.5 D4D SRX...it is a donkey. I knew it when I bought it. It drives like a donkey. But it just keeps on going - the part I am interested in.

If you want more power, sell, and buy something more powerful.
James Cameron

Jaws
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:37 am

Good post Mars

Just to add that if someone still feels they really "need" a chip an EGT gauge should be installed with the chip

:thumbup:

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”

• Information