Fuel Filter warning light - recurring

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Fuel Filter warning light - recurring

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

My 2013 2.5 D4D fuel warning light keeps coming on. I know how to reset it and it works but it keeps coming on from time to time. The vehicle doesn't suffer performance wise.
It is the filter blocked warning and not the water in diesel warning. I only use original Toyota filters. No additional filters.
I try and fill at the same fuel station in town. Haven't had any water in the filter when I drain it.

I haven't discovered any pattern of when it comes on. Initially, I thought it is the vibrations of the roads I drive on. But the other day passing through Malmesbury the light came on. Passing through town. Slight suspicion that it might be when I drive slowly (+- 40-60km/h) and then accelerate (+-100km/h) but really not sure. Has happened mostly when driving dirt roads.

Some background:
Started happening during our trip to Eastern Cape beginning of October. I replaced the fuel filter and went away. Only did short trips after that. Mostly tar.
Started again in December. Went to Wuppertal and it came on. Reset. Came on again near Clanwilliam. And again a couple of times since then. Different roads and places.

Any ideas of where I can start looking? Electrical. Faulty sensors (Filter body)
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
DeonV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 d4d
Club VHF Licence: HC229

Re: Fuel Filter warning light - recurring

Post by DeonV »

Hi Pieta. I had the same issue with my 2013 3.0 d4d. This started happening just after I bought the Hilux, less than 10 000 k's, Toyota had me pay for a new filter as they only replace at 20 000 k's. As it was still under motorplan I requested Intertoy toyota after the third time it happened in under 20 000k. They eventually had to strip the whole harness, from the fuse box right through the dash and found a loose connection on the back of the indication panel. 50 000k's later and no such issues again.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Re: Fuel Filter warning light - recurring

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Dankie, Deon. Sal bietjie uitvind daaroor
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”