d4d 3.0l Too heavy?

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Toy
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux DC d4d

d4d 3.0l Too heavy?

Post by Toy »

Hi All,
Is the d4d 3.0 that much heavier than a petrol 4l v6? My front suspension has dropped by about 20mm AGAIN!.Have had 3 different makes of schocks fitted and all do the same after about 5000km!Bakkie has the following extra wieght Bullbar 56kg,dual battery 26kg, winch 37kg ,bigger wheels 16",bashplates etc also a 2" lift. I have spoken to owners of petrol versions ,same mods, who have not had any problems and are happy with the OME shocks. Mine is going back to 4X4 megaworld to have suspension/frontend checked.
Any comments?
Hi Lux d4d DC 4x4 - Holiday vehicle
Prado 120 v6 -4L
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: d4d 3.0l Too heavy?

Post by Mud Dog »

Diesel motors are always more sturdier built than petrol versions, plus cast iron heads as opposed to aluminium and so are quite a bit heavier. Add to that all the extra weight that you mentioned IRO acessories and you're carrying a lot more in the front. It's not the shocks that carry this, but rather the springs and that is where you need to beef it up. I'm not clued up on what is available for this by way of coil springs but I'm sure the guys at 4x4Megaworld can advise.
Best of luck. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BlouBrakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 D/C 3.0 D4D Raider

Post by BlouBrakkie »

I've read on quite a few Australian forums that OME coil springs are renowned, or shall I rather say notorious for sagging. Just m.2.c.w
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Deon that may well be, but I have'nt heard of it. However Henk is saying he has OME shocks, so I'm assuming he still has the standard springs. I have also heard of guys adopting coil springs from other vehicles where the coils are of similar diameter, but perhaps a little thicker or longer, so as to provide the neccessary lift or to cope with weighty accessories. I came across a guy just last week who had replaced the coils on his Syncro with Hi-Ace coils (I think he said Hi-Ace). He claimed about 50mm lift but a stiffer ride.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Toy
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux DC d4d

Post by Toy »

Hi,
I have the OME "heavy" duty springs and shocks installed . Before that I had Ironman also heavy duty. I have in the meantime been told that my shocks will be replaced , by a new version ,under warranty,No questions asked .....WELL DONE 4X4 Megaworld!!!
Hi Lux d4d DC 4x4 - Holiday vehicle
Prado 120 v6 -4L

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”