Hysteer modification for SFA

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
krazy_kameleon
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Hysteer modification for SFA

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Anybody made any progress with regards to a local (RHD) hysteer conversion?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Hysteer modification for SFA

Post by Mr_B »

Waiting for feedback from Manie, Allan did a losteer cross-over conversion on his lux... but it appears the turbo has interfered with a CV joint over the weekend...

Mr B
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Thanks for the update.

A turbo interfering with a CV? weird

reminds me of my mate who was in a race and when I asked him how it went he said "car broke down, electrical problem - rod came through the block and knocked off the alternator!"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Similar issue!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

I had a good look at that crossover conversion at Allan erarlier this week. Very slim plan that & considering the costs of the import stuff, most definately the way to go. Will just wait for them to test further and then......... :thumbup:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Steve my thought was to make a 'kit' of sorts out of it, I would prefer the steering box to sit a little higher, therefore necessitating a bracket of sorts... that way the pitman arm and nut will be bit further out of harms way...

Mr B
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Mr_B wrote:my thought was to make a 'kit' of sorts out of it,
Engelsman dit sal iemand betroubaar moet wees soos Hoppy of Hi-Hilux, jy praat net oor sulke goed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Sartan... sorry Spartan... :twisted: my thought is for me to experiment, remember my steering is already poefies, and then once we've got a 100% solution, then make the blue-print available for all to see, copy and improve... Allan's setup is very simple, and simple is great, but I'd like to attempt to something just slightly different... complicate it like only an Engelsman can do...

I kill you... :lol: ...met 'n botter mes!

Mr B
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Mr_B wrote: but I'd like to attempt to something just slightly different... complicate it like only an Engelsman can do...

I kill you... ...met 'n botter mes!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Mr_B wrote:Steve my thought was to make a 'kit' of sorts out of it, I would prefer the steering box to sit a little higher, therefore necessitating a bracket of sorts... that way the pitman arm and nut will be bit further out of harms way...

Mr B
If I'm not mistaken, the import kit provides a shorter Pitman and corresponding steering arm to overcome that problem. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Spartan wrote:
Mr_B wrote:my thought was to make a 'kit' of sorts out of it,
Engelsman dit sal iemand betroubaar moet wees soos Hoppy of Hi-Hilux, jy praat net oor sulke goed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ek sal met liefde help, maar julle sal my eers moet se wate hel is n Hysteer???? :eh:
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Jy moet lees sakkie, dit is wanneer die hele steering meganisme bo die vere sit in stede van onder die vere waar hulle kan seerkry. Om die goed te maak is nie so groot issue nie, dit is die tyd en n lekker workshop soos wat jy het om dit te maak waar die probleem inkom. Werks plek en tools het ek maar dit is die tyd en die geografiese ligging wat my van my goed skei op die oomblik, En die engelsman is net onbetroubaar punt :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

hi-hilux wrote:Ek sal met liefde help
Jy kan n hoop geld maak en n goeie diens lewer, sonder om die manne te roof soos die 4x4 shops, as jy sulke goed begin maak wat werk en dit vir die local mark, dit is hoe ARB begin het, in sy garage, en jy weet die goed is reg want jy toets hulle mos eers op jou blou Van :twisted: en van daaraf is dit mos net copy en paste. Daar in Suid-Wes het julle mos baie tyd :twisted: jy adverteer op die internet en die manne bestel oor die net, jou geld is veilig want niks word gestuur voor die velle nie in die bank is en bevestig is nie, jy het nie n winkel nodig wat jou ook geld kos nie, jy het mos n workshop, en die ouens kom na jou toe nie anders om nie. :idea: :idea:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Ok :problem: I'll retract my offer and leave it in your hands... :wink:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Mr_B wrote:Ok :problem: I'll retract my offer and leave it in your hands... :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: Pes net chom
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Ok ok... forgiven... but next time... I kill you... met 'n brood mes!

With permission from Allan... here are pics of the conversion on Manie's monster:
IMG_3832.jpg
IMG_3833.jpg
IMG_3834.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg
Happier now? :twisted:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Vely vely nice job Allen. En die fotos is ook baie nice B, ek trek my woorde terug jy is nie so bad soos die koerant sê nie :twisted: en n broodmes werk nie in n gun fight nie :twisted: :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Post by Maniac »

Thanks guys for offering to help pay the bill too. The rest will be written off by Allen to advertising costs :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Maniac wrote:Thanks guys for offering to help pay the bill too. The rest will be written off by Allen to advertising costs :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You know if we stick together and start doing all of this our-selfs and share info we will cut allot of cost, maybe get one or two guy's that is setup all-ready and support him and get a beter price for being part of the clan we will do the same as the guy's abroad and have a brilliant product that work, made for us by us like they did. :idea: :idea: What says you :?: :?:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Mr_B wrote:Ok ok... forgiven... but next time... I kill you... met 'n brood mes!

With permission from Allan... here are pics of the conversion on Manie's monster:

Just for correctness sake ... those pics are an example of LOW-STEER x-over steering because even though the draglink is high, the tie-rod is still below the leaf packs. :wink:

For further interest even a millimetre fault on the length or angle of the home-made steering arms will result in incorrect steering geometry. Those values are absolutely critical and if incorrect will result in toe-in or toe-out on turns even once the alignment has been set. :problem:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

Mud Dog wrote:
Mr_B wrote:Ok ok... forgiven... but next time... I kill you... met 'n brood mes!

Just for correctness sake ... those pics are an example of LOW-STEER x-over steering because even though the draglink is high, the tie-rod is still below the leaf packs. :wink:

For further interest even a millimetre fault on the length or angle of the home-made steering arms will result in incorrect steering geometry. Those values are absolutely critical and if incorrect will result in toe-in or toe-out on turns even once the alignment has been set. :problem:

Yes, and that is why the low steer conversion is easier, because you do not touch the tie-rod, so wheel alignment is not affected.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Of course it is easier .... I only make the comment to avoid confusion because nowhere does lo-steer get mentioned and the topic line refers to hi-steer. :wink:

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Sorry Andy, I mentioned in the previous discussion that Manie's setup is lo-steer, and Manie is right... this conversion makes alot of sense simply because it does not alters the steering geometry, with the removal of the draglink the steering is also more direct, which many people prefer... I would like to do this same conversion on Bolt... fact is that a good condition 2nd hand SFA steering box costs 5K+ and the full seals recon kit costs 4.5K alone... an excellent condition IFS steering box(as used in this conversion) costs 2.5K... the IFS steering box bolts on to the SFA using existing chassis mounting holes... so essentially one new steering link is made up(from the pitman arm to the rhs steering arm) and the rhs steering arm is modified to accept a tie-rod joint...

Mr B
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ja nee, Bretton ... I'm aware of all the ins and outs ... covered the issue long ago with BlumTRD's conversion. Of course the lo-steer is easier and less modification required. In some cases there is not even a steering arm modification made to accept the new x-over draglink, the steering damper can be removed and the new link is just bolted onto the tie-rod where the damper was. Alternately a new mounting point can be made on the tie-rod.

Many ways of doing this. :wink:

The advantage of hi-steer is that the tie-rod is lifted out of harm's way .... how many guys have damaged tie-rods in rocky terrain? :think:

Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

Luckily I do not do any extreme driving, so I have never managed to make marks on the tie rod. The nice thing is the turning circle have been decreased dramatically ( or it feels like it anyhow ) and when I drive over a bump the autoted reaction of steering to the opposite side now lands me on the pavement :twisted:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

No doubt about it Manie, it's a better system than the old push / pull setup .... don't know why Toyota never changed it right in the early years. There is also no doubt that we will see a lot more of these conversions as the old steering boxes start giving hassles. :wink:

seuna
Town: witbank
Vehicle: 88 hilux

Post by seuna »

hi ek het nog n linker arm van die cross link gevat en altwee plat geskim en back too back op makaar vas geboud met daai taper washers tussen in en dit werk soo n bom kan nou die stuur wiel los op die hiway en die bakkie bly in die pad
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

Update,

As suggested in Missouri Man's conversion, the nuts in the chassis are not up to the challenge. Mine are now bushes instead of nuts :beg:

Will be doin some welding and grinding on the weekend to make the setup better. Also the steering box DOES sit too low, needs another 20mm movement upwards, because leafsprings does not like folding over steering boxes.

Will try post pics when done.
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Hi Manie,

I am looking forward to those pics, this is something I would really like to do now that my truck is stripped
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

I am also keen on doing this. What happened to your torque rod?
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Gunta wrote:I am also keen on doing this. What happened to your torque rod?
Torque rod can be dispensed with on a cross over steering .... no more bump steer issues and even axle tramp has little or no significant effect on the steering. It just gets in the way anyway. ;-)

Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

Torque rod...Gone...not needed anymore...was only there to prevent axle from twisting and causing the steering to be "turned" by it. The axle now works like the rear axle

Photos will follow
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

What did it cost you to do?
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Manie, I take it the photos are still following?? ..... something..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Yeah Manie, you are keeping us hanging...

I would really like to do this conversion now while my truck is stripped and I'm rebuilding the axle
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

DSC00604_a.JPG
DSC00605_a.JPG
DSC00605_a.JPG (39.32 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
DSC00607_a.JPG
DSC00608_A.JPG
DSC00609_A.JPG
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

ThysdJ wrote:Manie, I take it the photos are still following?? ..... something..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ja Thys...ek hoor jou
BlumTRD
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by BlumTRD »

The pics showed are Cross Steering
not Hi-Steer
Lower beam needs to be above the spring pack

To do Full Hi-steer you need these arms
And as the pics show you need an ifs steering box

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Maniac wrote:Ja Thys...ek hoor jou
En ek sien jou... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

ThysdJ wrote:
Yes and I saw you too... :twisted:

Thanks Manie, I'm going to make a bracket like that as well... I would like to find a way to mount the steering box a little higher, get the steering box pitman arm nut/shaft a lift more out the way of the leaf pack!
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

BlumTRD wrote:The pics showed are Cross Steering
not Hi-Steer
Lower beam needs to be above the spring pack

To do Full Hi-steer you need these arms
And as the pics show you need an ifs steering box
Fully correct
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Maniac »

Mr_B wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:
Yes and I saw you too... :twisted:

Thanks Manie, I'm going to make a bracket like that as well... I would like to find a way to mount the steering box a little higher, get the steering box pitman arm nut/shaft a lift more out the way of the leaf pack!
Bretton, soos myne nou is in vergelyking met hoe hy was is 1000% beter. As jy die ou fotos vergelyk sal jy sien. Ek het probeer om die pitman te laat raak, met geen geluk
doppies
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: keetmanshoop
Vehicle: toyota , land rover
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by doppies »

Hi, baie goeie idees gesien. Ek is in die begin staduim om 'n Pajero met IFS om te bou na 'n Hilux SFA, maar poog om kronkelvere te gebruik. Die Pajero se IFS is soortgelyks aan die bullnose van Toyota, inteendeel lyk dit of Toyota die idees van Pajero gekopieer het ! Sou ek die projek suksesvol deurvoer, kan die idee van 'n SFA op die bullnose ook werk. Nou by die pitkos, ek is gelukkig dat die diff ratio op die agterste ewenaar van die pajero ook 4.875 is. Die SFA word omgebou na cross over steer, maw ek gebruik die pajero se powersteer. Al probleem wat hier pla is dat die tie rod op die pitman arm baie beperkte beweging toelaat. Land rover coils,panard rod en drag kinks word gebruik. Spasie vir die panard rod is baie beperk,maar daar is ook 'n plan te maak. Alle brackets wat die IFS ondersteun is reeds afgesny, al wat ek behou het is die steerbox brackets, maar die lineere hoek van die box moet ook verander word. Tyd is baie beperk en die projek sal sekerlik 'n paar maande neem. Fase 2 is 'n V8 rover 3.9 met die 5 spd box van toy en fase 3 is die cab van die RN series van Toy. Die pajero onderstel is 'n swb .
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sluit sommer 'n paar fotos in sodat ons kan sien wat jy daar aanvang! :D: ;-)

doppies
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: keetmanshoop
Vehicle: toyota , land rover
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by doppies »

Dalk kan iemand my vertel hoe om foto's hier af te laai vanaf my selfoon'n nokia E72. Huidiglik is dit maar nog net 'n afsny en skoonmaak proses. Ja, ek weet van julle ouens sal seker nie veel beindruk wees met 'n Rover V8 nie, maar ek gebruik die enjin omdat ek alreeds in besit is van 'n redelike enjin met bypassende belhousing. My ondervinding is dat 'n rover maar effe aan die flou kant is vir werklike krag en is die balans in 'n Hilux nie veel uit verhouding nie. Ek sou hou van 'n Lexus UZ3, maar elektronika, verkoeling en gearbox probleme laat my koud. Ek het 'n Safari box oorweeg, maar die is net 'n 4 spd en die bellhousing na die rover is nie beskikbaar by Gilo eng nie. Ander probleem is die hilux transfer na die safari box. Jul ouens moet onthou ek bly naby Keetmanshoop in namibia en al wat maklik verkrygbaar hier is, is coke en chips.

Return to “General Mods”