How to protect your shocks from stones

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

How to protect your shocks from stones

Post by Andries »

In my valley the roads are terrible and there is more rock and stones and "slote", than a road. To drive a car is a nightmare, so the best vechicle is a bakkie.(a hilux of course).The only problem with hilux is the shock in front of the back diff, the stones like to hit it full of dents.
'n Boer maak 'n plan: I took an old air intake pipe, and fitted it at the bottom of the shock and sealed it with silicon to keep out dirt.

Andries
henniedebeer
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: '99 Raider 2.7

Re: How to protect your shocks from stones

Post by henniedebeer »

Hi Andries

Baie goeie idee, dit sal wragtig baie help. :) Nou moet ek net die op stuk pyp opspoor. :roll:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Andries

As you said a "boer maak 'n plan", what would your rooinek buddy in Queenstown have called it then? :twisted: :twisted:

:wink: :mrgreen:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Great Idea Andries, I have a set of Kubo's and the also have this plast dust ... protector on a s standard. :D
JBurger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: ......
Vehicle: .....

Post by JBurger »

In my valley the roads are terrible and there is more rock and stones and "slote", than a road. To drive a car is a nightmare, so the best vechicle is a bakkie.(a hilux of course).The only problem with hilux is the shock in front of the back diff, the stones like to hit it full of dents.
Andries, do you find that small stones get into the rear break drums? Had the problem in Nam and had to take the rear wheels off twice to get rid of the culprits! Any body had a similar problem? Great idea with the pipe and thanks for sharing!
Image ImageImage
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Post by Andries »

Ek het nog nooit so 'n probleem gehad nie. Die ouer Hilux's se agter briekdromme is so toe daar is nie 'n manier vir 'n klippie om in te kom nie. As jy 'n SFA koop sal jy nie klippe in jou dromme kry nie. :lol: :lol:
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Post by Dawid »

I had the same problem and have a few dings in the left rear shock. I used class 6, 50mm irrigation pipe (black flexible one) I used an angle grinder with a diamond disc and cut a section out so that I could fit them over the shock without removing it. I cut a small flap as well to protect the adjustment knob. It will stay in place by itself but to be sure I put some cable ties on. The plastic is thick and flexible and should take the knock.

If you get stones inside the brake drum, check to see if your inspection hole at the bottom has the rubber grommet fitted. Workshops like to loose those. I had mine replaced after a brake service by the workshop.
2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Dawid wrote:I had the same problem and have a few dings in the left rear shock. I used class 6, 50mm irrigation pipe (black flexible one) I used an angle grinder with a diamond disc and cut a section out so that I could fit them over the shock without removing it. I cut a small flap as well to protect the adjustment knob. It will stay in place by itself but to be sure I put some cable ties on. The plastic is thick and flexible and should take the knock.

If you get stones inside the brake drum, check to see if your inspection hole at the bottom has the rubber grommet fitted. Workshops like to loose those. I had mine replaced after a brake service by the workshop.

Return to “General Mods”