Monotube shocks versus Twin tube shocks.

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Pebble
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Nissan Navara

Monotube shocks versus Twin tube shocks.

Post by Pebble »

What is your guys personal take on mono-tube shocks (e.g. Bilstein) versus Twin tube shocks (e.g. OME)

I came across this article...yes it looks like a Bilstein sales pitch, how much of it is true?? We have full Bilstein fitted kit on our Navara and previous off-road shocks were full oil shocks (e.g. Camil). Now we don't mind Camil, but there are alot more modern and better products. But for overlanding, 4x4ing(track) and on the tar roads what are the really GOOD shocks...many say Bilstein,others OME, others Radflo, others RANCHO. This taken warranties and many other factors into consideration, what do the customers in SA say? The men who actually use the products?

Here is the article off some internet site just reading on a couple of reviews: "Bilstein's monotube gas charged design features a single tube that houses a self adjusting digressive working piston and a floating dividing piston that separates a nitrogen chamber from the hydraulic oil that fills much of the rest of the shock housing. Twin tube shocks on the other hand feature an outer tube that acts as the shock body and an inner tube that houses the working piston. Both designs work by restricting the flow of oil through the working piston, however, the twin tube design also utilizes oil control valves.

Monotube shocks, like Bilstein's, are considerably less likely to build up heat due to their single tube construction. In addition to dissipating heat quicker than a twin tube shock, Bilstein's monotube shocks and struts also maintain lower operating temperatures thanks to the high pressure nitrogen gas that keeps pressure on the floating dividing piston. The pressure exerts force on the hydraulic oil and prevents foaming and loss of viscosity, which ensures the shock will continue to work as it was designed even when used on rough roads and or terrain.

The monotube design is widely considered superior to its twin tube counterpart due to boasting a considerably larger working piston and tighter manufacturing tolerances, in addition to having a greater resistance to heat build up. Bilstein claims the working piston in their monotube shocks is 228 percent larger than the working piston in most conventional twin tube shock absorbers, which offers greater sensitivity and provides drivers with superior vehicle control.

Because the high performance front struts and rear shock absorbers of the twin tube variety are capable of enduring a number of track miles, can make this the perfect opportunity to upgrade to those components. Having learned more about Bilstein and the high performance monotube shocks they produce, you know handling would greatly benefit from the superior technology and design characteristics.

After installing Bilstein front struts and rear shocks, it will only take a few miles, for you to notice the improvement in handling response and shock dampening. Gone will be any signs of jumpiness when the car encounters imperfections in the road surface. Bilstein struts and shocks keep your stiff springs in check and helped the tires stay planted firmly on the pavement.

If you haven't experienced advanced shock absorber technology and the benefits a monotube design offers over conventional twin tube dampeners, you may want to consider looking into a set of Bilstein monotube gas pressure shock absorbers for your vehicle. Whether you have a street rod, muscle car, or late-model performance car, you'll surely notice the improved ride and handling feel monotube design offers."
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Re: Monotube shocks versus Twin tube shocks.

Post by louis fourie »

Dries

Ek kan nie kommentaar lewer oor die verskille tussen mono tube en twin tube nie, maar ek is baie tevrede met my Bilsteins. Hulle kan ook ge-recon word. Miskien kan Darell van Mikem ons 'n bietjie meer inligting gee.
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: D4D 3.0l

Post by FUDGES »

Dries eks van Camils na n full mikem suspension kit met Bilsteins shocks.

Ek kan nie vir jou verduidelik watse GROOT verskil dit gemaak het nie!

Al wat ek kan se ek sal nie sommer weer n ander shock kies nie.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Shocks should suit your application and match the springs in terms of spring rate and travel. There is a lot to be said for the different technologies, each having their own strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes you have to weigh one against the other, but don't compromise on quality. Get the best you can afford. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Mud Dog wrote:Shocks should suit your application and match the springs in terms of spring rate and travel. There is a lot to be said for the different technologies, each having their own strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes you have to weigh one against the other, but don't compromise on quality. Get the best you can afford. ;-)
Andy

That is exactly the problem - "Get the best you can afford". What is the best? As many suspension systems there are, as many opinions you will get. Keep you ear close to the ground (on the Forum) for bad experiences people had, and also good experiences, measure your wallet thickness with a vernier and then decide what to buy (Off course don't fill up you wallet with news paper and then measure, you need real mulas :lol: )
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Guys.
The monotube bilstein shocks are all fully servicable units can be re-gassed
re-oiled as well as we can change the charactoristics with regards to the valving
we can make them harder or softer for whatever your driving requirements
may be.
Anyone who has been to my workshop would have seen how we do that
Monotubes have more oil and this helps to disperse heat which builds up as the
Shock works.
Gas seperate chamber on the shock itself so gas and oil does not mix as that
Causes flat spots when it foams.Gas keeps oil under constant pressure so foaming
does not occour.
Yes more expensive but the features available are worth it.I'm going to do a post
On the bilstein shocks next week to show the inner workings of a monotube
and how shocks we valve for racing applications to those of std shocks and the differences
We achieve.
Regards
Darrell
Mikem Suspensions.
AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Yes there are a few different designs but all basically in the business of damping. I'm not into marketing BS so tend to look at systems on their own merits.
I like the Bilstein serviceability which would persuade me to buy these (when the budget allows). I don't think the "heating factor should deter people from other (still above average) products. How many guys have you spoken too that have said " Sheez! I had to stop and wait a half hour for my shocks to cool down the other day!"? I certainly have not heard this. Having just fitted the TJM shocks all round there is a noticable difference from my previous Monroes. Yet I prefer the comfort of the OME. They are far less intrusive in their damping charactereistics. But I don't feel like paying R4900 for two front shocks when the TJM's were R2900. Oh and I needed shocks in a hurry when one of my front shocks broke. But, you get my point...
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Mods”