Longer Rear Shock for Vigo S/C

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Mark Trollope
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Greenstone
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX, Hilux Vigo 2.7

Longer Rear Shock for Vigo S/C

Post by Mark Trollope »

Earlier this week I fitted front spacers to my '06 2,7 Hilux S/C - from WR Offroad

I opted also for the rear lift (termed by WR as a 'budget lift'). For those interested, it entails inverting the lower 2 leafs on the springs, and inserting a new leaf (slightly thicker than the current).

Whilst the result was fantastic - in that I achieved 45mm lift in the rear - the rear shocks are now fully extended to their maximum.
Driving over our Estate speedhumps feels like being rammed by an angry steam roller.

I am not very educated with regard to shocks, so went to my local Shocks dealer, and asked if a longer shock was available.
They advised me that the Hilux has the longest rear shock already, and that I am out of luck - they couldn't help me.
They are Monro, Gabriel etc suppliers.

Whilst I really like the look of the raised vehicle, practicality dictates that I will break something with fully extended rear shocks.
It's going to either be a part on the vehicle, or a part on my body!
If there is no alternative, then I will obviously remove the extra leaf that was inserted - but ideally, I'd like to keep it raised.

Anyone with any advise or suggestions?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Longer Rear Shock for Vigo S/C

Post by OOOOMS »

I have Cruiser shocks fitted in the rear, they are longer than the standard (think it's 80 series) if I recall correctly?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Longer Rear Shock for Vigo S/C

Post by LouisZ »

Usually it the L/C79 rear Shocks, just make sure you got weight on i.e like Canopy, fuel tank etc. to justify the Cruise shock, otherwise they can be quite firm. The Ome's are already 50mm longer than usually and sell at R1629/shock, that is a specific shock for the Hilux.

Return to “General Mods”