automatic box is not engaging in 2wd

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
alexmouak
Town: london
Vehicle: toyota hilux surf

automatic box is not engaging in 2wd

Post by alexmouak »

HI to all, i am new and would like to ask for a help. i have got a toyota hilux surf 1993 2.4 turbo diesel where suddenly does not drive anymore as normal on 2WD it will drive fine on 4WD.
When it is on 2WD position R, D... no move but when pushing the gear back to parking position you will hear a SIZZInnnnnnggg noise . but on a 4WD all the gears are fine.P,R,D.
What can be the problem cause it not to move on 2WD? when 4WD ok? Please help.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: automatic box is not engaging in 2wd

Post by Mud Dog »

Hello Alex and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

It sounds to me that you have no drive to the rear wheels. The problem may be in the transfer box, but I'm thinking more likely it's the diff or snapped ½-shaft. Put it in 2wd, either D or R and get someone to check if the rear prop-shaft is turning when you pick the revs up a little. If it is, then it's either diff or ½-shafts, if not then it's transfer box.

Hope this helps to find your problem. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: automatic box is not engaging in 2wd

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi Alex,

Waht Andy has said, also, when last was the gearbox oil changed?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “General Mods”