Dif Locks for very old Hilux

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Dif Locks for very old Hilux

Post by Agteros »

I have a very very old Hilux - it is a 1986 model. I think it is one of the imported ones. :thumbup:

I have a question which was maybe answered on this forum a thousand times but maybe you have some ideas for me:
1. Can you install diff locks on this old machine?
2. If so what and at what cost? (And where?)
3. Will this be a worthwhile mod to add to this Hilux? I have OME suspension on this bakkie. I have noticed at my free training day at McCarthy last year that I don't need diff locks if I choose my lines differently to the newest Hilux bakkies with diff locks but if I am forced to drive the lines the instructors prescribed then I can not do the obstacles where cross-axle conditions are present.
Attachments
DSC_0825_SMALL.jpg
(122.28 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Re: Dif Locks for very old Hilux

Post by merwn »

Hallo
Ek het ook so ou lux 1996 en ek het die local diff en het vir my gearmax lockers ingesit en werk soos 'n bom
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

merwn wrote:Hallo
Ek het ook so ou lux 1996 en ek het die local diff en het vir my gearmax lockers ingesit en werk soos 'n bom
Ek dink ek het die imported diffs so ek weet nie of dit so maklik is as met die local difs nie - onthou myne is 'n 1986. Ek wonder ook sou dit moontlik wees met die voorste dif ook?
2020 FJ Cruiser
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Hugo

Ek het n 1989 model Hi-Lux met die imported diff.Louis van 4x4 Megaworld het vir my gese hy kan ARB diff lock op sit.

Ek het nou met Louis van 4x4 Megaworld Menlyn gepraat.Hy kan n ARB locker vir ons imported diffs vir R19000.00 op sit.Hy praat ook van n Toyota locker vir R9000-R10 000 wat ook sal werk.

Kontak hom gerus vir meer details 08four 25zero 556zero
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Lollie wrote:Hugo

Ek het n 1989 model Hi-Lux met die imported diff.Louis van 4x4 Megaworld het vir my gese hy kan ARB diff lock op sit.

Ek het nou met Louis van 4x4 Megaworld Menlyn gepraat.Hy kan n ARB locker vir ons imported diffs vir R19000.00 op sit.Hy praat ook van n Toyota locker vir R9000-R10 000 wat ook sal werk.

Kontak hom gerus vir meer details 08four 25zero 556zero
Dankie Dawie - ek wonder hoekom is dit so ongelooflik duur? Wonder wat se ander opsies daar is? Ek reken die SFA sal regtig "unstoppable" wees met lockers voor en agter. Ek sal bietjie met Louis gesels oor die "Toyota" opsie wat jy genoem het (steeds duur). Dis ook hoekom ek wonder in hoe baie situasies gaan jy kom waar die lockers gaan nodig wees en of dit dan regtig uiteindelik die geld werd is. Destyds toe ek die OME suspensie gedoen het is ek aangeraai om eerder die suspensie te doen vir die beter artikulasie as om lockers in te sit.

Groete
Hugo.
2020 FJ Cruiser
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Hugo

Lockers is op my wens lysie :thumbup: , maar my spaarvarkie gee nie sy samewerking nie :thumbdown: .
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4 SFA

Post by Wurmscooby »

That is a very neat bakkie.I have 1996 SFA.Arblocker infront and a gearmax difflock at the rear.My vehicle is stock standard 22R.Arblocker infront was bit pricy.R18k I think.was done about 5 years ago.no problems whatsoever.and yes .it is unstoppable.ek sit die nuwe waens in die skool. :lmao: You approach obsticals with ease and have surety not to damage your vehicle
werewolf
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1991, 50mm lift suspension, Rear E-Locker

Post by werewolf »

I had the Toyota elocker fitted to my SFA 91 model ( the same locker that the D4D uses). +-R11000
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Wurmscooby wrote:That is a very neat bakkie.I have 1996 SFA.Arblocker infront and a gearmax difflock at the rear.My vehicle is stock standard 22R.Arblocker infront was bit pricy.R18k I think.was done about 5 years ago.no problems whatsoever.and yes .it is unstoppable.ek sit die nuwe waens in die skool. :lmao: You approach obsticals with ease and have surety not to damage your vehicle
Thanks Deon. Yes, I think this will make the old SFA Hilux even better than a LC76 or 79 as a result of better under body ground clearance and the shock over axle setup on the Hilux.
2020 FJ Cruiser
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

werewolf wrote:I had the Toyota elocker fitted to my SFA 91 model ( the same locker that the D4D uses). +-R11000
Wonder if this is the same Toyota locker that Dawie mentioned.
2020 FJ Cruiser
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

You have a couple of options:

Front:
non-selectable - like truetrac, Detroit, etc (can't remember all the makes)
I am not a big fan of the non-selectable lockers.
ARB
Toyota

Back:
ARB (pricey)
Some of the non-selectable ones (Again, I am not a fan of this)
Toyota - Basically the guys source one from the KZTE / Vigo shapes and build in. (Ultimate 4x4 used to do it, as well as Gearbox and Diff Centre in Booysens) This would be my second options, after ARB (After I went to the bank to withdraw money with an AK-47 :lol: )

Or maybe it would be cheaper to swap the import diff at the back for a Gearmax with difflock - this will cost you way less (Gearmax diff should be R6500, and you will get R6500 for the import, so basically pay for the labour ...) The post 1992 guys do not complain about the gearmax diff, so I don't know.

I have done a couple of overlanding trips and a couple of 4x4 trails. On Overlanding, I never needed a diff lock. Once with a 4x4 trail (think it was De Wildt), there was an easy obstacle that I couldn't get through, where my BIL with difflock on his Colt went through without hassle.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Thx Jaco

Yes, I think if you go the route of installing lockers it is easier (cheaper) to go the full diff swop. You will never recover R 19K for a locker on one diff - 2 diff lockers would be more than 75% of my bakkie's value - :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:

It just confirms again - whatever you spend on an old SFA - write it off immediately. This bloody V8 Lexus is haunting me... :drool:
2020 FJ Cruiser
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Fit a Lockrite locker in front, R6000.00 fitted, can't go wrong, much stronger than an ARB and more reliable.
Rear lockers are for towing and to make doghnuts, and there is one or two places that it might get you out of a sticky situation.
Front lockers are for serious 4x4 work and it realy works.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Hoppy wrote:Fit a Lockrite locker in front, R6000.00 fitted, can't go wrong, much stronger than an ARB and more reliable.
Rear lockers are for towing and to make doghnuts, and there is one or two places that it might get you out of a sticky situation.
Front lockers are for serious 4x4 work and it realy works.
Hi Allan thx - can you give me more info - where?
2020 FJ Cruiser
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hugo, speak to Louis at 4x4Megaworld, Menlyn. He fitted ARB difflocks to Bulldog, 1987 SFA with imported diff.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Family_Dog wrote:Hugo, speak to Louis at 4x4Megaworld, Menlyn. He fitted ARB difflocks to Bulldog, 1987 SFA with imported diff.

-F_D
Hi Eric

Did you do both front and back?
2020 FJ Cruiser
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Perhaps my thoughts are a little different and I'll tell you why.

Firstly I would suggest a rear locker first and then later if you feel you still need it, a front locker. You don't have to go the expensive ARB air-locker route with the import diff, the Toyota electric locker is good and it's a lot cheaper. The only drawback is that the actuator motor tends to get water and dirt into it over time, so it requires maintenance. Current will still flow in wet wires, so even if they get wet during water crossings, the locker should still be able to be actuated if required. So the drawback is really small.

Why I say to choose rear rather than front if you're only going to do one:
• The motor weight in front generally means that most of the time one of the rear wheels will lift, although this also depends on inclines. Facing up an incline, one of the front will tend to lift but while on a level and facing down an incline, the rear will tend to lift. Of course this will also be influenced by whether and how you are loaded or not.
• If you are loaded in the rear and you have a front wheel lifting, the diagonally opposed rear wheel will have less downward force than the other rear wheel and it's the one that will slip if torque exceeds traction on that wheel. A rear locker will prevent this and maintain drive on both rear wheels.
•Sometimes you just need a little rear wheel lock rather than full 4x4. With an SFA this can negate the need to get out and lock the front hubs ... could save you from getting muddy shoes and carpets, from getting wet etc. You can't do this with a front locker.
• The SFA already has a poor turning circle. Fitting a front locker will further influence this negatively.

No doubt, there will those that disagree, but that's the reasoning based upon my experience. (There must also be a reason why the manufacturers fit rear instead of front lockers.)

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Thx Andy - good points you are making...
2020 FJ Cruiser
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hugo, only the rear. I am not into extreme off-road, I just require good traction when we go to our radio masts at various koppies, which have some tricky bits here and there. The rear lockers worked fine for my purposes and eliminated wheel spinning at certain jagged rocky places, which was what I was after. Spinning tyres on those sharp rocks was not good for my nerves nor my wallet.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: oregon US
Vehicle: 1981 Toyota Trekker

Post by b4runner »

I am running Aussie lockers front & rear, basically the same as the lock right. I was able to do the install myself for both differentials myself. The one big advantage to installing a 'lunch box locker' is that it can be done with out affecting the differential set up as long as you keep track of your l/r carrier bearings.
There are several great write ups here:
http://www.gearinstalls.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this is the write up I followed: http://www.gearinstalls.com/bill.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steering is a little more difficult with a locked front end, especially if you don't have power steering. I feel the trade off for increased traction is worth it.

with the failure of E-locker actuator motors it is possible to convert them to a reliable cable operated locker.
here are some good threads on doing the conversion
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/elocker-cabl ... on-189134/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=5003.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

when adding an elocker to the front housing the axle housing will need some slight clearancing. I would love to convert my front axle to either an elocker or ARB, a selectable locker makes for a much more pleasant driving experience.
1981 Toyota Trekker. Full internal Roll Cage, Dual Transfer Cases (2.28x4.7) 5.29 gears = 220:1
35" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's

Return to “General Mods”