Connecting solar panel to NL solenoid controller

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Connecting solar panel to NL solenoid controller

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I have installed a second deep-cycle battery to my Hilux camper utilizing the National Luna solenoid system and it has been working well with no problems.I have recently purchased a 100 w solar panel and voltage regulator which I will be installing onto my camper.

I can install the solar panel using one of two possible options (to my limited knowledge) to connect to the existing National Luna solenoid system on my vehicle.

1. Connect the solar panel via the voltage regulator directly to the secondary battery.Will this have any issues with the power supplied from the alternator when the solenoid is engaged automatically by the NL controller ?

2. Install a 5 pin relay connected using the ' normally closed contacts ' which will charge the secondary battery when when the vehicle is stationary(engine off).The control circuit of the relay is energized using the control circuit of the NL solenoid so that when the solenoid is energized,the normally closed relay is switched to the 'Off' position and thus disconnecting the solar panel from the secondary battery.I seem to think this option is the way to go.

Can any of the members advise my on this issue before I decide which of the above methods I should use or if there are any other possibly better methods I can use ?
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Re: Connecting solar panel to NL solenoid controller

Post by Johan Kriel »

Solar charger direct to the aux battery.

Assuming you only connect the solar when stationery, not that it matter, If the solar are permanently connected.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
FIRSTGEER
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks Johan.I was just worried that the input voltage from the solar may somehow have some type of problem with the alternator input voltage if they where fed together to the 2nd battery.Hve you installed something similar ?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I also don't think that there will be a problem in connecting both to the aux battery directly.

I have done basically the same thing except that instead of a NL controller I have a manual switching and I haven't experienced any alternator / diode / voltage regulator or solar panel controller problems even though I have sometimes had both circuits closed. The only thing that I have noticed is that the solar controller sees the aux battery as being fully charged and it reduces / cuts supply - that means that you loose the solar input (or most of it) during that time, which is what will happen with your option 2 setup anyway.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks Andy.I also thought along those lines.When the load from the solar panel is disconnected,the voltage regulator should basically switch off.I think I will go with my option 2.I wanted to throw the idea around to see what the other members thoughts would be.Thanks to you guys for your input.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Option 2 is better, just to be on the safe side

Return to “General Mods”