Spot Lights, delay, and then nothing.

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Spot Lights, delay, and then nothing.

Post by drew3 »

Hey guys.

Installed some new spot lights to my Lux a few weeks back, but haven't really had a chance to test them out. They are 70W LED Spots.

Drove around in the bushes last night and they work great, but something weird happened and happened again while testing today.

When I first turned them on.... instant sunshine! Then I decided to turn them off for a bit, turned them on again and.... slight delay but they came on. Off and on a bit later, longer delay but they came on. On the third or fourth go, they just don't come on at all?!?! At first I thought it was a bad connection on the relay but checking that hasn't sorted anything out.

I originally just had a set of old Hellas (50W Halogen) which were not doing much for me.

In the end I decided to keep the Hellas wired in and mounted, and I piggy backed the wiring for the new spots off of the old wiring harness which includes a relay and independent switch in the dash.

The original wiring for the Hellas is rather thick ( I couldn't tell you the size), and I am using a 30 AMP fuse for the whole setup.

If it isn't obvious, once left off for a good while, the spots go on normally but the process repeats itself. Oh and this effects the Hellas in the same way.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.We

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Spot Lights, delay, and then nothing.

Post by LouisZ »

Does the Hella's switch the relay on on a separate switch or does it trigger with the brights?
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Post by drew3 »

Sorry for the slow response. Ended up being a faulty relay. Not sure why but it would get stuck in the off position once warmed up or something.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “General Mods”