"Diff Lock" using the handbrake

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
andrewbuch
Town: port alfred
Vehicle: Bmw & Pajero

"Diff Lock" using the handbrake

Post by andrewbuch »

has anybody heard of using your hand brake as a diff lock on a 4x4 that is not fitted with a rear diff lock. for example if the right rear wheel lifts and starts to spin you pull a leaver and it just applies the hand brake on the right rear and vica versa if the left rear starts to spin.. any info on a system like this and how one would go about fitting such system would be appriciated
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: "Diff Lock" using the handbrake

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

I have heard of this system, but only on pipe cars, yes it can be used on a Hilux, but you would require two handbrake levers and a few other goodies, I am very worn out now, going to bed very soon.

will explain another time. :oops:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I have seen independent braking systems on completion vehicles as Simon mentioned but it works eclectically not mechanically. But it is rather a form of manual traction control rather that a diff lock. By applying break pressure to the spinning wheel you are forcing torque to be transferred to the other wheel.

You can do something similarly with just a normal handbrake as well. By applying the handbrake when one wheel is spinning, you are "equalising" torque transfer between the two rear wheels to a limited extend. But obviously you are breaking against the engine power so you need extra horses to overcome the braking affect.

I have used it successfully going uphill on twisters before. Check out the last climb in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9SM0KJST3A

You can actually hear me pulling up the handbrake before starting the climb. It was at a short steep uphill twister with a loose surface which offered little traction and no place for a run up to gain momentum, but at the end it was a case of having ample power and revs in reserve together with the use of the handbrake that got me up the hill.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi,

I've once seen this on a Landy shorty, with 4 switches to brake each wheel independantly, but the guy didn't want to tell me how it worked. But I've heard that one can also use brake "immobilisers" which was fitted in the beginning of the immobiliser age, which is now illegal to do.

Apprently you must fit four of those goodies, but wrong way round, into the brake lines. I think that when you then activate them (electrically), they will block pressure to that wheel, so no brake force on that wheel. If one wheel start spinning, you then activate the other side's cylinder, and then apply your normal brake through the pedal, which will then only brake the spinning wheel, so you get torque on the other wheel. But I don't know about the legality of something like this, it is possible that can can disable all your brakes. Also I think one can get a little bit confused in pressure situations :D

The theory above may be wrong, I have no idea how those things really work, maybe someone else can clarify.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
glevey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by glevey »

I often use this method when I have to and it works very well. Saved my bacon a few times.

Cheers

Geoff
Geoff Levey
PC Panic cc
ZS6GRL (WAZS)
Vice Chairman - West Rand Amateur Radio Club (ZS6WR)
GP 0717 - Professional 4X4 Overland & Tourist Guide
Honorary Officer North West Parks & Tourism Board
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Chris

The vehicle I saw was a pipe car. It had drum brakes front and rear with solenoids fitted inside the drums. The guy had for toggle switches on the dash and he could switch then individually on or off.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

This patent was discovered by some farmer years ago where he fitted two hand brake levers, one for each wheel. It does exactly the same as your modern traction control, only that this method is a manual method and traction control is electronic. This is where they got the idea from for traction control
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilex

Post by Zantus »

Commonly known as cutting brakes in other parts of the world.
Here are some examples if cutting brake levers:

http://www.cncbrakes.com/prodgroup.asp?grp=cb
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Well personally I think this brake system will only work if you are catch in a xross axcle situation and when you are already stuck. I have used my hand brake in simular situations and it is working in some degree to help you over the obstical but it will never be a lock diff. Before I go the route to install all the gadgets to brake the wheels I will shake the piggy bank and install a decent ARB diff lock.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi all,

With tractors one can brake the rear wheels individually (2 levers or pedals). What it also help with is the turning radius. On a SWB 4x4 the turning radius can be very small if you only brake the one rear wheel.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Knersus wrote:Well personally I think this brake system will only work if you are catch in a xross axcle situation and when you are already stuck. I have used my hand brake in simular situations and it is working in some degree to help you over the obstical but it will never be a lock diff. Before I go the route to install all the gadgets to brake the wheels I will shake the piggy bank and install a decent ARB diff lock.
Eben,

I agree with your thoughts. But I am not going the ARB way, I have ordered a Detroit locker from Riceburner (on this forum) at about half the cost of ARB, and considerably less maintenance. Looking forward to its arrival within the next week or so!

This I did after a lot of Internet searching and I never found any negative remarks about the Detroit Diff Lock anywhere.

Support the local guys!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Hi F.D

I have never actually did a research about the different diff locks and I have only heard about the detroit type. You know all major suppliers in this area also only knows ARB Does this diff lock engage on air; vacuum or is it manually and in what price are we looking at to have it. I will rather also support local where possible.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Eben

Contact Darryl (Riceburner) on the forum for pricing on Detroit Lockers.

I will PM you his no as I do not ant to post it on a public forum.
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilex

Post by Zantus »

With the Detroit I had in my cruiser is that it felt like there was a lot of backlash and the gear changes became very scratchy. I could understand why and thought it was just coincidence. The person who bought it from me then experienced axactly the same symptoms and he will also be removing it in the near future.
The Detroit I had was still the old version because my axle was a semi-floater with C-clips. The newer version is probably different.
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Eben,

The Detroit is permanently engaged, but releases when the vehicle turns.

I never found any reference to the problem Zantus mentioned above, I would hope that Detroit has sorted this out by now. Maybe you shouldn't order one yet, because if mine does this I will remove it and sell it to you then :mrgreen:

(Just kidding, I'm sure they have sorted this problem out by now!)

The Detroit is considerably cheaper than the ARB, which is a good lock but very pricey. The savings on this can rather go to something else instead.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Karoo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Murraysburg
Vehicle: 96 2,4d sc ;99 2,7 4x4 sc

Post by Karoo »

This is an old system dating from the 80's and was called a bog buster (from Aus i think) easy to do just run seperate cables from back wheels etc,and yes it does work .
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Even your standard handbrake works ... not too good for it though. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Mods”