Fitting a 4Y bellhousing to a hilux 4 speed gearbox

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Alouette
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7V8, Jeep CJ-6 with 327 Chevy V8 (Under restoration), Ford Focus - Platkar, Hilux 4x4 Challenge Car (In the making)

Fitting a 4Y bellhousing to a hilux 4 speed gearbox

Post by Alouette »

As most of you know I am busy building my competition car
After much debate I settled on a 3S-GTE machine. I found a manual version so the flywheel and clutch is allready sorted out.

My problem now is the bellhousing. According to the research I have done, the 4Y bellhousing fits, except for one hole which has to be modified. The starter then moves to the cooler intake side, which I believe is better. The 2C bellhousing is a direct bolt on, but the starter sits under the turbo which just is not going to work.

Either way, both bellhousings bolt up to the 5 speed gearbox.

I have the 4 speed box (From a 18R engine), (As far as I can determine it its a L45, 4:1 first gear ratio). I am quite happy to keep the box as it is a steel housing and as far as I have determined stronger than the 5 speed.

Problem is that uses the output shaft cover to center the bellhousing and has 4 bolts to bolt the bellhousing on. The 4Y uses the 8 or 9 bolt configuration of the 5 speed box and uses pins to allign.
Has anyone sucsessfully made up an adaptor plate? Any advice?
If anyone is intersted in a 18R engine with weber carb and spares please PM me. Engine is running but allready removed from the vehicle
conversion man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 911 Carreara MB CL 500 MB 500SEC MB 450 SLC CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE SFA HILEX JEEP 5.2 V8 FORD RANGER LEXUS

Re: Fitting a 4Y bellhousing to a hilux 4 speed gearbox

Post by conversion man »

can do ring me on 0837521655
Clarence
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Pipe Car

Re: Fitting a 4Y bellhousing to a hilux 4 speed gearbox

Post by Clarence »

The gearbox is stronger but the reverse gear is weaker so take is easy. If my memory serves me correct the bell housing from the 22r fits but check it out

Return to “General Mods”