Standard Lexus ECU 1UZ VVT-I Conversions

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
redhummer

Standard Lexus ECU 1UZ VVT-I Conversions

Post by redhummer »

Hi guys.. I see things haven’t changed with all the aggressiveness on the site.. I was really enjoying the site in the beginning and then it all turned sour when things became personal in the argument. There should be different opinion and a bit of proving what is correct as it is in everybody’s interest to get to learn as much as possible from these different opinions. I left the site a year ago for that reason and ime back as a Toyota gets under your skin, a bit like Africa does to all of us.. I was involved in the cruiser with the electrical, ecu and sensor setup. It was my contribution. Alex did the install of all components, differentials, motor, gearbox, pretty much the entire drive train and everything else mechanical.
That Cruiser was really a nice truck and in the end it was totally redone from front bumper to rear. Now has an engine that is truly first class. It runs standard management naturally and is wired as the manufacturer would have done.
It arrived at the csir the other evening and I actually asked Alex if it was still running.. It is as smooth as you would expect from the 2001 Lexus LS. Everything works as it should and it is one happy engine. There is little to compare with the 1st or 2nd generation 1uz’s. I put a 2nd generation 1uz in around eight years ago and it has been a good engine altogether. A lot better than the standard 2.7 as the fuel consumption and power is in a different league. The company driver uses it now days as an every day runner as it saves us on fuel etc.
The Cruiser was a nice project and was at the correct price. If one worked out the total costs of going out and buying everything in a good quality then it does cost a bit. A R20000 conversion really isn’t interesting to me as I believe in that old saying “ If you pay peanuts then you get ……..” no insult intended just an old saying meaning cheap isn’t usually very good quality. R20000 doesnt come close to even cover parts costs of the way we do it. To do a mod properly the engine should really be stripped down and checked, cleaned and reassembled as all the gaskets are always very hard including crank seals etc. The cam belt should be replaced and the tentioner. Usually even the idler bearings should be changed as that sea salt really isn’t kind on the components. Electrical should be uninstalled and reinstalled to comply with the installation of the new motor. Colour coding to the spec is also important to any Lexus technician finding a fault if it was to happen. It all takes a lot of time to do right.
R65000 isnt and is a lot of money these days and it is expensive to do the job right with no compromise on quality. The cruiser’s owner is very happy with the job and with running standard management system as his fuel consumption vs power is in spec. No fuel priming and setting up every now and then to make sure it will run.. That cruiser takes a half second turn of that key in the mornings and it just runs beautiful.. That 4,3 is a very nice engine as well and ime very jealous that I don’t have one too. I would have gone standard though as the valve timing and everything else would be a mission getting to work properly going aftermarket if possible to do at all. Even the built in security on the transponder key and ecu would really be a bummer but I guess after the thief is done priming and batteling to start it he would be caught by sombody unless he got away in the cloud of smoke..lol…No... Just kidding.. Auto is also a problem running aftermarket. It runs but not as it was designed too. It is different though for the guys who want to tear-ass down a drag strip and have a really furiously fast vehicle. Then an aftermarket system would be better for that sort of application. Standard is good for an every day runner or a 4x4 application.
Has anybody played with the 2ur-gse,1gr-fe or the 2ur-gse.You can get a 2ur-gse for $6000 from the states.. Now there’s a nice engine
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Ford Courier - Vw Caddy - Isuzu kb250 - Mazda 250td/i - Mercedes Benz C230 Compressor sport

Re: Standard Lexus ECU 1UZ VVT-I Conversions

Post by Rian »

:thumbup:
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

The lexus ISF. 2ur-gse with twin turbo mod. Oh what a pup. Get your hands on that motor and drop it into your lexus :thumbup:
V8 SOLID
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Here is the hilux the driver has. Thought i would put some picks up.. Looking forward to putting a vvt in my one. Still stuck with the 2.7
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Lazarus
Attachments
12062009004.jpg
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Mike

I guess you guys are still missing the point wrt aftermarket systems. Not all of us have unlimited resources to spend on conversions so we need to make do with the money we have, so if it means that we need to do a conversion with an aftermarket system then please allow us to do so without belittling us all to drag strip racers. Many of us are also enthusiasts who like to scratch a little under the bonnet and aftermarket systems allow us to do so whereas OE systems does not allow us access. Point being I like to get my engine to perform optimal for my needs and an OE system does not allow me that.

To give you an example my Pajero is giving me about 6km/l no matter how well I drive her and how well she is serviced. The guys at Mitshubishi admitted that they do not have the programs to change anything in the standard engine map for me only their overseas HQ can do. Fitting an aftermarket ECU to just take over the engine's fuelling and timing (while leaving the OE ECU to take care of all other functions) will allow me to fine-tune the engine o give me better performance and economy.

SO yes if money is not an object and you love to pay other people to do everything for you then OE systems are cool but there is a definite market for enthusiast like me to use aftermarket systems
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

O.K. this is my point of view. I thought of getting a front cut Lexus for +/- R 20 000. That means I get the radiator, fan, ECU, coded key speedo, rev-counter everything to run the engine . Just need the bell housing fly wheel.

Sounds good. But my question is what if for some reason the original ECU goes. What will the replacement cost be on the ECU? Or will I have to sell the lux to buy a new ECU?
Last edited by BenHur on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed EFI to ECU
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

I know it isnt a Hilux But it is all about the love of Toyota..Right?
Attachments
31072009016.jpg
Prop had to be changed to acomadate a slide.. The original had a splined output shaft
(18.11 KiB) Downloaded 2935 times
31072009011.jpg
(22.83 KiB) Downloaded 2935 times
31072009009.jpg
No cutting of the body in any way was done
(22.2 KiB) Downloaded 2935 times
03082009021.jpg
During the build
During the build
Rebuilt and waiting
Rebuilt and waiting
Engine was rebuild
Engine was rebuild
01082009018.jpg
Just a pic of a lexus ime doing for a bit of fun..Still not completed yet as time is the problem
(23.64 KiB) Downloaded 2935 times
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

BenHur wrote:Mike

I guess you guys are still missing the point wrt aftermarket systems. Not all of us have unlimited resources to spend on conversions so we need to make do with the money we have, so if it means that we need to do a conversion with an aftermarket system then please allow us to do so without belittling us all to drag strip racers.
I really am sorry and really didn’t mean to belittle anybody. I do apologise and really didn’t mean it in any way like that at all. I am used to people just shouting down the standard ecu route so I guess ive got my prickles up a bit on the subject.. Once again I do understand and apologise for anything I said that may make anybody feel got at.. It wasn’t intended
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Gertc wrote:O.K. this is my point of view. I thought of getting a front cut Lexus for +/- R 20 000. That means I get the radiator, fan, ECU, coded key speedo, rev-counter everything to run the engine . Just need the bell housing fly wheel.

Sounds good. But my question is what if for some reason the original ECU goes. What will the replacement cost be on the ECU? Or will I have to sell the lux to buy a new ECU?
Gert

Exactly

If the Airflow meter goes it will cost you more to replace then a complete aftermarket system.

My neighbour is installing more aftermarket ECU's on cars with their origional engines where the OE ECU went faulty and the cost of repairs 4 to 5 times that of fitting an aftermarket ECU (Material, labour and dyno included). He has even done cars where the agents can (after the owners spent thousands on parts) get keycode transponders to work again. Using an aftermarket ECU in conjuction with the OE ECU the aftermarket ECU runs the engine while the OE does other functions like onboard computer and dash displays, e-windows etc...
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

The vvt motor i have at the moment came from a front cut and had a damaged ecu from a bash it had before it was cut in half. It can be repaired but i would rather replace it altogether. I got onto e-bay and had it sent via DHL. It arrived today with a total cost of R1500. They go for around $120 and the difference in cost was shipping. The coded key isn’t a problem. There is a code reader on the market on e-bay as well for sale and ime sure ime going to buy one. It will set your ecu with your transponder even if you do not have an existing key. The only reason for a malfunction in a ecu is if the current was switched positive to negative or was wired incorrectly..
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

redhummer wrote: Once again I do understand and apologise for anything I said that may make anybody feel got at.. It wasn’t intended
Cool no hard feelings no harm done.

BTW your work in the pics below looks really great.

Back to the topic of aftermarket ECUs. I am a Dicktator man and believe in it like the gospel, not really much in any of the other systems but I guess its personal choice, I know what you mean wrt to systems that struggle to start, idle properly, needs constant retuning etc, I also had those problems when i was running Mr Turbo, but I have Dicktators that is now running for 2 years without seeing a dyno again. JohanM has just returned from a trip via Lesotho's mountains and even though we can not actually simulate altitudes like that when on the Dyno, my neighbour Schalk has enough experience on the Dyno to tune those out of reach fields well enough so that the engines can perform there amicably
:D :D
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Just went to check for an air flow meter.. The vvts's one is $80 and the non vvt's one is around $40.. Not too bad,, I have never seen a broken one though unless it was physically damaged.
I enjoy Auto with the application i use the bukkies for as there isn’t any clutch issues and it does give the clutch a hard time when pulling away with a vehicle mass over 5 tones. I am thinking of going manual with mine but really haven’t made un my mind as of yet. It would be nice to be able to drive it with a manual married to a vvti v8 but for the job it would be nice with an auto..
I don’t know.. Time will tell i guess
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

There is no reason that a agent ecu will go. Wire it wrong or jumpers then yes. Mr Ben whats your kilo per liter ?
V8 SOLID
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

redhummer wrote:Just went to check for an air flow meter.. The vvts's one is $80 and the non vvt's one is around $40.. Not too bad,, I have never seen a broken one though unless it was physically damaged.
I enjoy Auto with the application i use the bukkies for as there isn’t any clutch issues and it does give the clutch a hard time when pulling away with a vehicle mass over 5 tones. I am thinking of going manual with mine but really haven’t made un my mind as of yet. It would be nice to be able to drive it with a manual married to a vvti v8 but for the job it would be nice with an auto..
I don’t know.. Time will tell i guess
I am also of the opinion that the losses in power you have with an auto is well worth the benefits and pleasure of driving an auto, just don’t let Fana Conversion Man here us as he will skin us as he is a devout manual gearbox man :think: :think: :lol: :lol:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Demon wrote:There is no reason that a agent ecu will go. Wire it wrong or jumpers then yes.

Short circuits in wiring, faulty regulators on the Altenator etc can cause ecu problems on older ECUs. I guess one of the main reasons is key code transponders giving problems, like for instance Uncle Mac here on the forum's son lost his only key and took his Peugeot to the stealers and then all the sudden they had to replace the respnder as well :crazy: :crazy: , the cost, more then what the trade in on the car was.. :wth: :wth:
Demon wrote: Mr Ben whats your kilo per liter ?
nothing as my lux moutor is standing on the garage floor at this stage after being overhauled but on the Pajero I am getting about 6, it used to be 7 but I guess the Lambda or MAF is getting long in the tooth.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Lol..Fana would from what i have heard about him.. His bellhousings are nice. He has done a good job of it. Ime sure for what he uses a bukkie for it is great. It is just the weight that is a bit of a worry. Can burn a clutch easy with a lot of load. I get around 10km to the litre on the non vvt. Will be very interesting with the vvt to see what that gives on fuel/
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Go for the auto. You going to have to crash change that V8 just to keep next to me. Up to sixty 60km per hour that is than its fumes for you :twisted:
V8 SOLID
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

I was actually wondering what autobox I could use with the 7M in my Lux, since buying the Pajero I do not want to drive a manual anymore...
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Benhur wrote:short circuits in wiring, faulty regulators on the Altenator etc can cause ecu problems on older ECUs. I guess one of the main reasons is key code transponders giving problems, like for instance Uncle Mac here on the forum's son lost his only key and took his Peugeot to the stealers and then all the sudden they had to replace the respnder as well :crazy: :crazy: , the cost, more then what the trade in on the car was.. :wth: :wth:

For sure it could be a grind with the key. Dont think i would build in the key transponder. Rather stick the key and transponder inside the dash and forget about it. Will rather look at locking the gear shifter with the built in solinoid. That dude will start it but he wont get that thing out of park. So no joy ride for him
V8 SOLID
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

BenHur wrote:I was actually wondering what autobox I could use with the 7M in my Lux, since buying the Pajero I do not want to drive a manual anymore...
I really wouldnt know which one. I went with the standard manual for a while and ended up breaking it. But It was obvious it would break under the conditions. Ill put a pic of that truck tomorrow. The standard auto box on the 7M was controlled by a seperate computer. You had engine ecu and ect ecu. It gave me a mission getting it to work standard with the manual but i got there in the end. I would try find a five speed auto box. You run aftermarket so your options are pritty open when it comes to boxes. It will not change over like the original though. But auto is very nice in its own way
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Demon wrote:Go for the auto. You going to have to crash change that V8 just to keep next to me. Up to sixty 60km per hour that is than its fumes for you :twisted:
Dude...One day you must look behind your cab and you will find a loading bay.. This is because it is a bukkie (Loading vehicle) you know...Like a working vehicle.. Not a race car.. But i will tell you this.. The spec is very close and with a bit of load i would like to see you pull off and leave a v8 in the dust. V8's are very potent as a power plant for pulling. Pulling away with a 5 ton body weight doesnt seem to practical for a 2.5 on steroids. Ill take you with the Lexus one time though and when you break yours trying..Ill pull you home with the v8..lol
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Here is a picture of the kind of workmanship I have found in peoples vehicles of the wiring. people who do not know how to do things properly should leave it alone. It is risky with fire hazards and reliability. For example there were no fusible links on the alternator circuits (the white wires) and no fuses or relays to anything else (the red ones) there may be financial reason to go with aftermarket but even if that is the case there should be a quality of workmanship.. This is partly the reason things take a lot of time to correct. Anybody who works with there hands know how nasty it is working on something that has been worked on by an armature. And a guy that sends his car in for a mod is usually not capable of doing it himself so imagine how bad it is driving a fire risk and not knowing what to do if things go wrong
Attachments
02012010057.jpg
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 2633 times
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Awesome, that really is impressive! I wish my wiring was as neat as the wiring in the above picture. Do you do all your wiring like that?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Yes I agree I have a pet hate in okes wiring a car like that, I for one take a lot of time to ensure my looms are properly out of harms way, routed neatly properly enclosed in a wrapping like ribbed sleeve and then I still tape the complete loom.

If there is one thing I hat is working on an engine with 5o seperae looms all running in the same direction. I rather combine looms so that the engine bay is less crowded. Typically there should only be one loom to the left of the engine bay and one to the right with everything running towards it.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

V8 Interceptor wrote:Awesome, that really is impressive! I wish my wiring was as neat as the wiring in the above picture. Do you do all your wiring like that?

Ewald

Shhh. I told you Sunday whoever did the interceptor's wiring did some scary things. They used the wire that normally goes to the revv counter (black with red dots) to connect the starter relay but they never cut the wire back to the rev counter, so the starter relay and rev counter was wired together :shock:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Built FORD Tough...
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Here is a visual comparison on the spitronics unit and the agents one. I think it is clear just by the looks of this on functionality and quality. Yes it runs the engine, but how well is the question. It would also rev up by spraying fuel down its throat with a spray gun.lol
Attachments
04012010060.jpg
(20.33 KiB) Downloaded 2628 times
emu5.jpg
emu5.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 11301 times
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I totally agree with you Mike... the original Toyota box just looks so outdated... Image
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Mike

Not a good argument, the technology on the OE box is most probably 10 years older then the Spittronics box which uses more modern technology, also the OE box has many more circuits for extar stuff like the rev counter e windows, roof lamp timer etc.

If you showed me a OE unit that was smaller the the Aftermarket one then you would be proving that they used better technology, in electronics smaller is better not vice versa :twisted: :twisted: My current 4 month old laptop has 3- 4 times the capabilities of my 6 year old desktop, is much more reliable, consumes less energy and is a 10th of the size.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

V8 Interceptor wrote:Awesome, that really is impressive! I wish my wiring was as neat as the wiring in the above picture. Do you do all your wiring like that?

Read my posts properly and you MIGHT understand what i am saying. If you are here to fight with me then please leave my post and go elsewhere.. I do not want my page destroyed.. It is here for people to find out more about other options.. Eg a possible contribution.. Not an immature argument. We can discuss anything electrical on the management systems and hopefully end up guiding people witch ever way they decide to go. The topic of my post is STANDARD LEXUS ECU.. and the post is all about the advantages and disadvantages of different management systems and what people should be aware of before spending hard earned cash on there loved vehicle. Anything people want to ask on wiring, sensors and ecu's (Agent stuff) as i no very little on the aftermarket stuff apart from listening to people complaining about there car not running or bad fuel consumption
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Bennie... please lets not have this argument again... fact is some guys like the OEM ecu's... some guys like the aftermarket ecu's... simple... and leave it at that... each to there own... I'd after spend my time chatting about things that matter than fighting an old fight over and over again! Guys like Mike, Rian, Alex, Blom, Alan etc. have years of experience with these things and know which they prefer and why... without wanting to add the argument, even if an aftermarket ECU can control VVTi... do any of the dyno guys know how to setup it up properly?? With a VVTi engine I'd prefer an OEM ecu...

mr b
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

BenHur wrote:Mike

Not a good argument, the technology on the OE box is most probably 10 years older then the Spittronics box which uses more modern technology, also the OE box has many more circuits for extar stuff like the rev counter e windows, roof lamp timer etc.

If you showed me a OE unit that was smaller the the Aftermarket one then you would be proving that they used better technology, in electronics smaller is better not vice versa :twisted: :twisted: My current 4 month old laptop has 3- 4 times the capabilities of my 6 year old desktop, is much more reliable, consumes less energy and is a 10th of the size.

lol...Ben..Now thats the kind of discussion ime looking for.. Lets go for it..

Firstly the ecu has nothing to do with the interior lighting, electric windows or rev counter.. The rev counter signal is developed by the igniters and the interior light is controlled by a separate module altogether.

Secondly the size of the ecu doesn’t really bother me considering it has all these additional features incorporated into it

Oxygen sensor
Knock sensor
Secondary oxygen sensor
throttle by wire
Variable valve timing
Gearbox control
and many more
It also readjusts itself according to its sensors and will always run right
The gear down of the tranny is set up according to how hard the engine is running and not just about where your foot is on the pedal.
So there is a lot of additional technology in the standard ecu of 10 years ago that isn’t even in the latest aftermarket ecu's. There are good aftermarket ecu's available in the states and they plug directly into your existing wiring harness from the factory.. You can set them up yourself if required but they come at a very steep price
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

redhummer wrote:

Read my posts properly and you MIGHT understand what i am saying. If you are here to fight with me then please leave my post and go elsewhere.. I do not want my page destroyed.. It is here for people to find out more about other options.. Eg a possible contribution.. Not an immature argument. We can discuss anything electrical on the management systems and hopefully end up guiding people witch ever way they decide to go. The topic of my post is STANDARD LEXUS ECU.. and the post is all about the advantages and disadvantages of different management systems and what people should be aware of before spending hard earned cash on there loved vehicle. Anything people want to ask on wiring, sensors and ecu's (Agent stuff) as i no very little on the aftermarket stuff apart from listening to people complaining about there car not running or bad fuel consumption
Attachments
jfa1932l.jpg
jfa1932l.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 11595 times
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

RustyRod wrote:Bennie... please lets not have this argument again... fact is some guys like the OEM ecu's... some guys like the aftermarket ecu's... simple... and leave it at that... each to there own... I'd after spend my time chatting about things that matter than fighting an old fight over and over again! Guys like Mike, Rian, Alex, Blom, Alan etc. have years of experience with these things and know which they prefer and why... without wanting to add the argument, even if an aftermarket ECU can control VVTi... do any of the dyno guys know how to setup it up properly?? With a VVTi engine I'd prefer an OEM ecu...

mr b
People do have ther opinions and have the right to delieve in anything thay wish to. Aparently the guys have had some light in getting the vvt-i to work aftermarket.. I know little about the aftermarket stuff like i said. Do any of you guys know if it is true that it does work properly? does it function variable or simply on or off. It should be a variable control.. The newer engines have quad vvt-i, all variable and run at a much hight fuel pressure.. Like 16 bar.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Thought i would place some picks of my old truck.. One of the regrets i have is that i sold this one a long time ago. It was a great truck.
Attachments
Old hilux Engine.jpg
Old hilux.jpg
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

And this is what it looked like after I fixed up the shoddy workmanship on the boost pipes and intercooler. The standard OEM ECU was crap, and I replaced it with a Dicktator unit to sort out all the issues it had. The OEM unit needs to communicate with the Supra speedometre in order to work efficiently, which is impossible on a Hilux... The poor bakkie was in desperate need of proper detailing when I bought it. Also, it had a crap radiator setup (overheating issues) which I replaced with a proper 540i radiator. It had head gasket issues, so I had a Cometic racing gasket installed. Enough said. Seems I experienced your work first hand...
Attachments
Hilux5.jpg
Hilux4.jpg
Hilux3.jpg
Hilux8.jpg
Hilux7.jpg
Hilux7.jpg (120.5 KiB) Viewed 11584 times
Hilux6.jpg
Hilux6.jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 11584 times
Hilux2.jpg
Hilux2.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 11584 times
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Geesh Mike... thats one nice looking Hilux... Mike why'd you sell it? A moment of total madness?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

V8 Interceptor wrote:And this is what it looked like after I fixed up the shoddy workmanship on the boost pipes and intercooler. The standard OEM ECU was crap, and I replaced it with a Dicktator unit to sort out all the issues it had. The OEM unit needs to communicate with the Supra speedometre in order to work efficiently, which is impossible on a Hilux... The poor bakkie was in desperate need of proper detailing when I bought it. Also, it had a crap radiator setup (overheating issues) which I replaced with a proper 540i radiator. It had head gasket issues, so I had a Cometic racing gasket installed. Enough said. Seems I experienced your work first hand...

Geesh Ewald is this really necessary? Did Mike do the conversion for you or did you buy the vehicle with the conversion... voetstoets?

And then the fight started...

mr b
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

redhummer wrote:People do have ther opinions and have the right to delieve in anything thay wish to.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

redhummer wrote:

I didn't start anything... just stating fact... Whoever did the conversion on the Supralux didn't do it properly...
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

V8 Interceptor wrote:And this is what it looked like after I fixed up the shoddy workmanship on the boost pipes and intercooler. The standard OEM ECU was crap, and I replaced it with a Dicktator unit to sort out all the issues it had. The OEM unit needs to communicate with the Supra speedometre in order to work efficiently, which is impossible on a Hilux... The poor bakkie was in desperate need of proper detailing when I bought it. Also, it had a crap radiator setup (overheating issues) which I replaced with a proper 540i radiator. It had head gasket issues, so I had a Cometic racing gasket installed. Enough said. Seems I experienced your work first hand...
I sold it to a police man who did some work on it himself as well. There was nothing wrong with the management as it was a standard setup. The intercooler was not as efficient as it should have been but it is a bukkie, once again and not a race car. There was too much power for the truck as it was all over the road and too fast for my application. There was a lot of thought that went into the job and the engine bay was nicely presented before it was tampered with as you can see from the picture compared to the new picture of yours. Like i said before I work my vehicles hard and there were no overheating issues at all.. Must have been one of you guys after it was off my name. I believe a Toyota should remain a Toyota not a bmwtoyford and more. My workmanship really should not be mocked as that is a direct insult and you should learn some manners and have some merit behind what you say if you wish to have any standing in life at all.. Some people i guess it doesn’t matter. I do not want to argue with you as it is a waist of time. This is a post for standard management as you can see from the topic. So try to keep it that way. And try not to insult people.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Point taken and agreed. The standard OEM ECU of the Supra can NEVER work in a Hilux, due to the ECU needing to communicate with the Supra speedometre. This affects air fuel mixture and subsequently performance, economy and reliability.

Would this not be the case on the Lexus OEM ECU's as well?

I am not sure who did the Intercooler system on the Supralux (it looked exactly as in your picture when I bought it), but this was done shoddy, inefficient and subsequently contributed to the intake air temperature being way too hot for the poor Supra engine. Again, this would have affected the Engine Management system, which already didn't work properly.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

RustyRod wrote:Geesh Mike... thats one nice looking Hilux... Mike why'd you sell it? A moment of total madness?
lol...It was a really bad mistake selling it and have always regretted it. I like the newer v8's though.. Its nice having individual coils and newer technology. The old hiluxes are very good but for on road isn’t ideal. Would rather have a 80 series or a Prado. Now that would be nice with a 4,3. The turbo engines have had major improvements with the 2jzgte series running sequential turbo's. IT really helps as far as having lag. That was one thing that used to annoy me with that truck. Breaking and accelerating all the time. It went very well though. Just was not right for me. That’s why ime going the car route with the 2jz and the bukkie route with the vvt v8
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

V8 Interceptor wrote:Point taken and agreed. The standard OEM ECU of the Supra can NEVER work in a Hilux, due to the ECU needing to communicate with the Supra speedometre. This affects air fuel mixture and subsequently performance, economy and reliability.

Would this not be the case on the Lexus OEM ECU's as well?

I am not sure who did the Intercooler system on the Supralux (it looked exactly as in your picture when I bought it), but this was done shoddy, inefficient and subsequently contributed to the intake air temperature being way too hot for the poor Supra engine. Again, this would have affected the Engine Management system, which already didn't work properly.
Yea.. The spd signal does input into the ecu and is a contributing factor. Not major though to the degree that it would become unreliable. The fuel consumption wasn’t too bad when i had the truck though. As far as the intercooler goes, yes, it wasn’t the best place to build it in but i just do not have the heart to cut the body in any way and there was no other way to get it in front. I hope you are enjoying that truck and am pleased to know what happened to it. I thought it went down to the Cape some place. As far as i can remember it was an Isuzu intercooler i used. It was a bit small ant there was air restriction on the way it was installed. Didn’t worry me much though as it had plenty of power
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I didn't need to cut anything to fit a proper intercooler, right behind the bumper (where the big air vents are) and nudge bar at the bottom out of harms way. There was a lot of air restriction. The ECU was constantly running in limp mode because of the speed sensors not working.

My point is that I don't trust OEM ECU's when using the engine in an aftermarket application, as it needs to communicate with sensors and other stuff in the donour car.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

RustyRod wrote:, even if an aftermarket ECU can control VVTi... do any of the dyno guys know how to setup it up properly?? With a VVTi engine I'd prefer an OEM ecu...

mr b
Dictator have been selling a cam contoller for some time already :shock: :shock: go check their website
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

I actually had a Cressida cluster in it for a while with the spd connected and changed it back again as it wasn’t very nice.. There was no difference in the way it ran and i wouldn’t have been able to sell it if it wasn’t running properly. Especially if it went into a limp mode. So i can say when it left me it was running right. I always go as close to standard as possible. When doing a vehicle of year 2000 or newer there is no problem with any signals and everything can be connected as Toyota designed it to be.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

BenHur wrote:
RustyRod wrote:, even if an aftermarket ECU can control VVTi... do any of the dyno guys know how to setup it up properly?? With a VVTi engine I'd prefer an OEM ecu...

mr b
Dictator have been selling a cam contoller for some time already :shock: :shock: go check their website
Does the dictator control the cams variable or do they run it in an on or off position? I have heard it is on or off which would make it vt not vvt.lol
I may be wrong but will read about it all
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

redhummer wrote:
lol...Ben..Now thats the kind of discussion ime looking for.. Lets go for it..

Firstly the ecu has nothing to do with the interior lighting,
The Cressida had one of those fancy LED bar Rev counters that was controlled from within the ECU, my 7M OE controller that lies in the cupboad also has the autobox controller integrated which needs a speed sensor else it will not work properly to even control the engine, My Pajero has 1 ECU connected to a jumper box and each and every circuit in the car runs back to this jumperbox and even the heated seats is controlled from the same ECU (not something mayor its just is switched on via the ECU and so is the roof light timer that will keep the lights on once you close the door until you stick the key into the ignition. :wink:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

BenHur wrote:

mr b
That I know Benny... the question is can the clever dyno chaps tune the VVTi setting... or will the ecu ship with a selection of pre-configured VVTi setting per make/engine...

mr b
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

On the early 5M there was a separate tranny ecu. From there I went to the 7mgte so I have no experience with the non turbo 7m. Or the tranny on the 7Mgte as I went manual and didn’t need that info at the time. Good engine though for its time. The Cressida's cluster was totally uncomplicated. It was connected straight from the engine and had nothing to do with the management other than the SPD signal as a return signal to the ecu from the cluster.. The Cressida cluster was on but was a bit flashy for me. I hear the guys with Jeeps battle with getting clusters to work with the v8 mods. Can anybody tell me about that issue?
I know nothing about the Pajero management. Have never looked at it at all. Ime a loyal Toyota fan.lol
What’s with the jeep cluster that the guys say it is imposable to get working?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

redhummer wrote:What’s with the jeep cluster that the guys say it is imposable to get working?
That's where the word "Jeepers!" comes from... Image
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

redhummer wrote: When doing a vehicle of year 2000 or newer there is no problem with any signals and everything can be connected as Toyota designed it to be.
That is where the problem lies for us okes on the forum as we are mostly SFA owners doing engine conversions, not may 2.7 guys bother, What about Bushwacker's KZ will that have a speed sensor and everything else needed.

So can we agree then that all our post 2000 guys who like to work on our vehicles ourselves and does not take it to the stealers to have it fixed is better off with aftermarket ECU's
redhummer wrote: I have heard it is on or off which would make it vt not vvt.lol
No it controles it just like the OE units it is fully integrated into the ECU and fully mapable. Don't know how the Gotech one works though.
RustyRod wrote:
That I know Benny... the question is can the clever dyno chaps tune the VVTi setting... or will the ecu ship with a selection of pre-configured VVTi setting per make/engine...

mr b

That is the crux of why aftermarket systems have a bad name in the first place, because not every Johnny on the corner with a go fast / conversion shop and Dyno do know how to map an engine properly. If it is mapped by someone who understand the processes involved in making an engine run properly and know how economy and performace is acheived in your engine then you will get a great setup. If you buy a unit that is advertised as having a Lambda sensor and no need of dyno then you set yourself up for disaster.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Demon wrote:
Benhur wrote:short circuits in wiring, faulty regulators on the Altenator etc can cause ecu problems on older ECUs. I guess one of the main reasons is key code transponders giving problems, like for instance Uncle Mac here on the forum's son lost his only key and took his Peugeot to the stealers and then all the sudden they had to replace the respnder as well :crazy: :crazy: , the cost, more then what the trade in on the car was.. :wth: :wth:

For sure it could be a grind with the key. Dont think i would build in the key transponder. Rather stick the key and transponder inside the dash and forget about it. Will rather look at locking the gear shifter with the built in solinoid. That dude will start it but he wont get that thing out of park. So no joy ride for him
Having the transponder is a big plus as it is imposable to drive the car away if you not the owner. The secret it do not loose your keys. The gear locks were discontinued as all the guys did was bring a can of liquid nitrogen along and give it a spray, wait a sec and bash it off with a hammer. Gear locks also don’t look very nice. Toyota built in a unit that was a bit better looking but you still had to fumble about with the pin every time you got out of your car. Built in security is a better option. Netstar is probably the way to go as it usually is better they don’t break things when trying to steal the vehicle.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

BenHur wrote:
redhummer wrote: When doing a vehicle of year 2000 or newer there is no problem with any signals and everything can be connected as Toyota designed it to be.
That is where the problem lies for us okes on the forum as we are mostly SFA owners doing engine conversions, not may 2.7 guys bother, What about Bushwacker's KZ will that have a speed sensor and everything else needed.

So can we agree then that all our post 2000 guys who like to work on our vehicles ourselves and does not take it to the stealers to have it fixed is better off with aftermarket ECU's
redhummer wrote: I have heard it is on or off which would make it vt not vvt.lol
No it controles it just like the OE units it is fully integrated into the ECU and fully mapable. Don't know how the Gotech one works though.
RustyRod wrote:

mr b

That is the crux of why aftermarket systems have a bad name in the first place, because not every Johnny on the corner with a go fast / conversion shop and Dyno do know how to map an engine properly. If it is mapped by someone who understand the processes involved in making an engine run properly and know how economy and performace is acheived in your engine then you will get a great setup. If you buy a unit that is advertised as having a Lambda sensor and no need of dyno then you set yourself up for disaster.
They will still run properly without the spd signal from the cluster. Or a person can fit a cluster with a spd signal or just fit the spd pickup on the back of a newer cluster into the old shape cluster.. You can import a cluster from the USA with a spd sensor in it.
It is really preference. Its up to the individual to go with what he feels is better for his application. But the spd signal really isn’t a problem
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

The standard one sets itself continuously depending on driving condition. Will the aftermarket one do that? And is it variable or simply on or off according to a mapping? What about quad VVT-I? Is it capable of the newer family of engines from Toyota?
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

My experience with the Supralux mirror Bennie's comments. The OEM ECU could not be setup properly, and eventually an aftermarket system was the ONLY solution. The speed signal is a HUGE issue. If it is not there, or not correctly read by the ECU (who will make sure that an after thought installed sensor talks the correct language to the ECU?), the engine management WILL NOT function as it should. What's the point then? I had hundreds of threads and e-mails going up and down to the overseas Supra forums and experts. Please accept that my argument is NOT directed personally, but at the principal. At the end of the day, if an OEM setup cannot function 100%, I want no part of it.

Besides all the other mechanical and piping issues, the Supralux gave me a lot of grey hair in sorting it out to an acceptable standard. I eventually sold it to Hilton in Cape Town who now has the fortune of enjoying the Supralux as a reliable and well set up conversion.

Attachments
Hilux 001-1.JPG
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

redhummer wrote:No it controles it just like the OE units it is fully integrated into the ECU and fully mapable. Don't know how the Gotech one works though.

The standard one sets itself continuously depending on driving condition. Will the aftermarket one do that? And is it variable or simply on or off according to a mapping? What about quad VVT-I? Is it capable of the newer family of engines from Toyota?
No its not on off it is variable. The ECU sends a PWM signal to open /close the solenoids proportionally according to the input it receives from the ECU and is changed instantaneously. It does drive the inlet and exhaust cams separately so if it can drive 2 cams on an single inline TwinCam motor it should be able to control 1+1 inlet cams and 1+1 exhaust cams as well on a V8 QuadCam. QuadCams are no rocket science, just a V8's version of TwinCams.

One thing they can not handle yet is BMW's valvetronics which is a stepper that controls valve lift i.e it has no thottle body, it opens the valves more to lef more air in if you step on the gas. That is a drive by wire system but I am sure it would not be taht difficult to create such a unit once there is a market for it.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

What would happen in the case of the 1uz vvt's variable air intake control valve bank? Would it run that aswell? ill place a picture
Attachments
1uz vvt.gif
(23.67 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”