Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

1UZ on Dicktator running Wasted Spark

Post by BenHur »

Continuing this discussion form here: viewtopic.php?f=98&t=10036&p=112468#p112468
BenHur wrote:Hi Guys

Can you guys that know these engines a bit better tell me the following: Will the Coil on plug setup of the later VVTi motors fit a older 1UZ with the two dizzy setup properly and where can I get my hands on a set like this?
redhummer wrote:Bennie...I seriously doubt it would be an easy mod as the cam covers are totally different. There would be issues being able to fit them properly with there mounting bolts etc. I will place two diagrams of the two engines for you to look at so you can decide. Personally I wouldn’t do it as it would not really make a noticeable difference in the performance or the smoothness of the running.
Hope the information will help and if there is anything else you might need please let me know.
Diagrams will follow
Why are you looking at doing this mod? Why not go for the 1uz vvt. It is a wonderful engine. There is a major increase of power between the non vvt and the vvt.
redhummer wrote:Here are some of the pictures just to give an idea of the problems fitting the vvt igniters onto the non vvt engine.. I will look for some better drawings and post them if i can find some. It looks as though the tappet covers on the non vvt will be too narrow
OK thanks Mike I suspected something like this but just wanted to make sure.

I want to get rid of the twin dizzys as well as I believe that is one of the Achilles Hill of an otherwise brilliant and bulletproof motor.

My motto with installations like this has allways been KISS. remove everything not really nessasary to run the motor but still keep it feeling as close as possible to the OE setup. If a uninformed person gets into a setup I built I do not want him to detect that there is anything different to the working of teh system. There is nothing I hate more then a aftermarket system installed by a "go faster" and the engine's operation is unrefined.

So what I am to connect is this:

Single 36-1 crank Trigger.

Map sensor built into the ECU so you only need a vacuum pipe connecting back to the plenum

Intake Air Temp sensor. The ecu can run without this but this helps a bit to fine tune your AFR according to outside temperature

For the Idling Control Valve the Dicktator drives a PWM type device, so I have 2 choises. First is to replace the existing stepper motor with a ICV from an Golf/Audi/BMW etc like I have done before on other engines like 7M/3RZ etc. or alternatively Jaco Versveld is busy building a 4 wire stepper motor interface using a PIC for his 4Y using the CAM intake manifold. Once he has perfected that we can simply modify it to also work on the Toyota 6 wire stepper motor. This device will measure the duty cycle of the Dicktator's PWM signal and step the ICV accordingly.

The Injectors are controlled directly from the ECU

For ignition I will use either a coil near plug setup with 8 coils still running HT leads or a combination of wasted spark coil packs something like this. I am still trying to figure out what is the best coils to use. In the pick the guy used two Ford DIS 4 Tower Coil Pack from MSD (http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Coi ... _Pack.aspx)
Picture-058.gif
uzfe001.jpg
I have sent Turbo and No's a mail requesting a quote but I have not received a responce from them yet. I do not know of any other MSD agents in SA.

Alternatively I believe GoldWagen sells a nice coilpacks for a Polo or Willem (3RZ) told me about a Corsa coil pack that has built in ignitions which negates the use of external ones. Another option is the 3RZ coil packs which also has a built in igniter but their HT lead's terminal may be an issue :?

So for now I am tying to get as much info as possible to find the most suitable coil setup.

I still need to figure out which cylinders to pair on the wasted spark setup. Mark can you or Alex perhaps tell me which pistons are TDC together, what I have established so far is that it will be on opposite banks, but I have not got the vehicle here yet so I can not do a physical inspection.
Attachments
IMG_0729Large.jpg
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Re: 1UZ on Dicktator running Wasted Spark

Post by Toybox »

Bennie my man,

While I love the idea of tinkering and modding till the cows come home, I cant believe its in the interest of the KISS principal.

The 1UZ is bulletproof in its standard set-up and I've never had issues with distributor's getting wet or full of crud. So why go through the extra time, money and stress changing a winning formula? Unless of course you're planning silly amounts of forced induction...

So far I read the following:

Honda S2000 / Accord coils are a good length and will bolt right in. They also have integral ignitors. I haven't run a motor on these as yet, however.

Tundra / Landcruiser coils will work also, but the valve covers have to be modified (relieved/ground down) for them to sit down lower. These coils also have integral ignitors.

Camry coils should also work, but they require an external ignitor.

WRT the idle valve. I would strongly recommend using the original stepper motor. It is infinitely more sensitive than the plunger type. The intake manifold already has all the fittings and holes, and the plastic covers are moulded to fit around the IACV. KISS.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Here is the detail of which pistons are TDC together and the firring order.. Should be what you are looking for. Hope it helps
Firing Order: 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2
92780653.gif
92780653.gif (5.56 KiB) Viewed 12083 times
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Johno

This van had issues with its dizzys and rotors before so that is the reason why we decided to get rid of all wear and tear parts as far as possible, the thinking is that anything solid state is more reliable.

Will check out the honda ones thanks, how watertight will they fit, we do not want any water to get in there? If we do not get a perfect fit that is water tight I would rather do coil near plug or coil plug setup. Also any idea where to get these coils new at a reasonable price, scared of buying them second hand :?
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

Ek het seker nog agt Renault coils :angel:
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Hmmm, I agree on the solid state. If I may ask what issues did the dizzy's give?

I read the following:

The coils from the 2UZ Toyota LandCruiser fit, if you want to do some rather involved modifications to the cam covers. It requires that you machine the cam covers and then weld in bosses to bolt the coils down. The coil covers (spark plug covers on yours) will not fit, but can be replaced with a fabricated cover.

Otherwise it looks like the Honds coil on plugs will fit, even the plugs seem to be compatible, they are from the F4i motorbikes. They're a teeny bit short but if you trim the top of the tubes they should be perfect.

OR

94 and 95 Toyota Camry and Lexus ES300, the OEM toyota number is 90919-02211 or 90919-02214

It seems all of the above will fit, with various mods and trimming to the covers and/or tubes. Most sound like they're a snug fit in the plug tubes.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

redhummer wrote:Here is the detail of which pistons are TDC together and the firring order.. Should be what you are looking for. Hope it helps
Firing Order: 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2
92780653.gif
Mike

Thanks for the info but sorry I cant seem to figure out the info of which pistons to pair. Maybe my marbles is a bit shaken :? :crazy: :D:
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Surely it'll be as it is on the dizzy setup; 1467 on one coil, and 8352 on the other coil....
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Toybox wrote:Surely it'll be as it is on the dizzy setup; 1467 on one coil, and 8352 on the other coil....
Johno

I dont have the van with me yet, is it 1 and 6 opposite each other on the dizzy and 4 and 7? And on the other dizzy 8 and 5 oposing each other as well as 3 and 5?
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Okay wait I think I got it now. If I understand it correctly there are 2 cyls firing simultaneously at any one time. Right? A bit like a paired 4 cyl engine..

Or is the firing truly sequential?

My guess would be 2 fire together at any 1 time...

If that is the case then you'd fire 1&8 (coil1), then 4&3 (coil2), then 6&5 (coil1), then 2&7 (coil2)... Or that's my best guess anyway....
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Yip that is what I need.

Wasted spark is when instead of firing each coil seperately you pair them togeher or use a dual output coilpack per pair of pistons.

The mayor advantage of this is that you now only need half the amount of coil drivers as you will be firing on two pistons reaching TDC simultaniously. The one will be the piston on its compression shot as normal and the other wil be its mate on its exhaust stroke.

Not sure but I do suspect it may also have "green" benifits if the unburned gas exiting the exhaust valve can be ignited. :? :? especially on cars without cat converters
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Bennie, ek sien The V8 Shoppe in Alberton hou ook MSD aan. Hier's hulle website http://www.thev8shoppe.co.za/ en tel: (011) 869 5153. :thumbup:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cool will contact them next week. Turbo and NOS have not responded to my mail yet will also phone them.

This is the coils I had a look at. The 1st one is like what the dude in the pic above used
Ford DIS 4 Tower Coil Pack
Part No. 8241
8241_full.jpg
8241_full.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 12026 times

Alternatively we can look at something like this for individual coils in a coil near plug arangement but it may become a bit crowded :?
8-MSC GM Gen 3 LS Series (LS-1/6) 8-Pack Coil Kit
Part No. 82458
82458_full.jpg
82458_full.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 12026 times
Not sure but this may be a bit more $$dollars$$ too so if we can make a plan with the HT leads on the 8241 option it may be the better option and we know its been done before so we don't have to redesign the wheel.

We can also look at prices for ACCELL on the Ford DIS 4 Tower Coil , I saw other sites that sells the exact equivalent only black en yellow
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

3RZ wrote:Ek het seker nog agt Renault coils :angel:
Ja dit sal werk vir Bosbeer se wipermouter :clap: :clap:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

BenHur wrote:
3RZ wrote:Ek het seker nog agt Renault coils :angel:
Ja dit sal werk vir Bosbeer se wipermouter :clap: :clap:
Ja, maar dan kort ons nog 8, ander sgaan die ander wiper mouter nie dieselle loop nie! :shock:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

OK so ons het nou al 'n idee vir die coils, weet iemasnd van 'n plek wat vir ons custom HT plug leads kan maak?
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: HILUX,CRUISER,FORTUNER

Post by PERS KERS »

Ford DIS 4 Tower Coil Pack
Part No. 8241

Bennie , net n joke, wil julle regtig FORD parte op n uitstekende enjin gebruik, as jy dink geen Lexus parte sal op n oil leak enjin pas nie .ONTHOU net n' grap
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Alex moenie worry nie mense kan enige tyd jokes maak ek is baie dikvellig, tot die dokter het so gesê toe hy het sy naal gebuig met die eerste steek wat hy in my arm moes insit Dinsdag aand.

Nee ons gebruik nie regtig Ford Parte nie maar MSD, die coil wat ons na kyk is die beste suited vir die job, net toevallig dat hulle op gebasseer is op 'n coil wat uit 'n Ford kom (OE replacement) maar dit word in baie tipes modified engines gebruik. Hier is "form-factor" die deurslaggewende oorweging waarop die besluit gebaseer is

BTW when it comes to EMS most manufacturers use common brand name parts to make up their systems. Names like Bosch, Denso VDO etc is common in may different makes of cars, the trick is to find what part will fit your application, I try to stick to the brand of engine I work on but if you need to use something else then that's not the end of the world. Used BMW /Audi ICVs on Toyota and Nissan EFI conversions, On the Nissan Safari I also used a Uno Turbo (Echlin) water temp sensor (it had the right tread for the hole and was the right length for the pocket) for the EMS and on the one Safari its OE injectors were broken and other good ones are like hens teeth so we found a set of Ford (Denso) injectors that could be fitted with only very little engineering work and using a generic after-market fuel rail. This van is running like this for more then 2 years already.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Ford RULES!!!!

:twisted: :twisted:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

EK se jou wat, hou die Interceptor dan EFI ons hom. Koop vir jou 'n intake manifold met injectors en dan steek ons ook 'n Dicktator daar in, ek is seker ons sal jou fuel economy beter kry as die 4 Barrel Noag Carb van jou.

Toe man jy is mos nie bang om jou vingers vuil te kry nie ek sal die wiring vir jou doen sodra dit nie meer doller as kopaf hier by my gaan nie ;)

Komaan manne van die forum, tyd vir 'n bietjie Peer Pressure hier kom ons convince Ewald.
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by PERS KERS »

"Komaan manne van die forum, tyd vir 'n bietjie Peer Pressure hier kom ons convince Ewald."

Ek dink hy moet eintlik net die pressure raak lees "Toyota Hilux Forum" ek dink hy moet daai 4.3 turbo in sy Hi lux sit.groete
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

PERS KERS wrote:"Komaan manne van die forum, tyd vir 'n bietjie Peer Pressure hier kom ons convince Ewald."

Ek dink hy moet eintlik net die pressure raak lees "Toyota Hilux Forum" ek dink hy moet daai 4.3 turbo in sy Hi lux sit.groete
Ek dink nie Ewald sal weer 'n Turbo op 'n SFA sit nie hy het eerstehandse ondervinging gehad oor hoe useless Boost in offroading applicasies was met die 7MGTE wat hy gehad het, een middag by Rosslyn bv het ek walle uigecrawl met my ou tuinvullis bakkie (82 4x4SC met'n 2Y) en Ewald kon net nie daar uitkom sonder dat sy 33 begin grou het as daai turbo begin spoel het nie, elke keer gelyk soos 'n stofstorm al het hy skaars die throttle geraak. Daai wa is perfek vir sand duine nie crawling nie.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Ek sal nie weer 'n Turbo 4x4 wil he nie, Bennie is heeltemal reg...

:thumbup:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

My pa het eergisteraand Bosbeer gaan sleep van Cassie af na my toe. So Bosbeer is nou in PTA en kan weer petrol in sy tank kry.

My dad started stripping down the old redundant stuff like the coils and distributors yesterday and also took off the front crank pulley and replaced the original 12 tooth trigger wheel with a new after-market 36-1 trigger wheel we bought off the shelf for R150. Upon removing the crank pulley we removed a hand full of Bakelite pieces that was lying in the cam belt cover. Things are now starting to make sense explaining why Johann picked up problems with the engine. It seems like the guy who replaced the cam belt did not screw the right hand rotor in place properly. It must have come loose and disintegrated inside the dizzy as there are also wear marks inside it. This rotor was obviously replaced with another which also has a crack in it. Then it looks like the Cam angle sensors and wiring also took a beating and the screen wires are badly damaged as it were not reinserted into its correct positions.

Well with our new wasted spark set-up we are getting rid of the two dizzies and the cam angle sensors so we do not need any of it any more. It seems like my earlier thought was correct on the coil pairing, piston 1 and 6 do TDC at the same time. The next thing to figure out now will be the polarity on the crank sensor and how to get the trigger angle as close as possible to 45 deg BTDC, because that is the sweet spot where a V8 will trigger best on a Dicktator according to Chris Dicks.

With all the standing it seems Bosbeer is now pee'd off. It started leaking oil rather seriously. wherever she parks it leaves a stain. I guess it is in preparation for the Ford coils we are getting next week :wth: :wth: The oil is coming from the sump gasket as well as from the back of the motor at what looks like the main crank seal. My dad will drop the gearbox today so we can have a closer inspection and see what to do here. Luckily he is not scared of this rather long set-up (martin crawler dual transfer-case) as he is a diesel mackie by trade so this is still small compared to the 36 speed gearboxes he used to work on in his younger years.I hope our local friendly McCarthy Toyota will have stock on theses items and not have to order them with a 3 week waiting period like usual when we go there...
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Bennie, on the crank sensor; if you hold the sensor so that the 2 'ears' are pointing upwards then the negative pin is on the left.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie,

Useless without pictures_1_.jpg
Useless without pictures_1_.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 12078 times

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Toybox wrote:Bennie, on the crank sensor; if you hold the sensor so that the 2 'ears' are pointing upwards then the negative pin is on the left.
Cool thanks
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Family_Dog wrote:Bennie,

The attachment Useless without pictures_1_.jpg is no longer available

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

mockup_front.jpg
Want more :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I love that first one! Never seen anything like that before - what is it? Liquid Gold? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

As I reported earlier Bosbeer started Ford like behaviour leaving his mark wherever it goes.

On closer inspection my dad saw the mayor leak coming from the dipstick seal where e it mount onto the block and not the sump gasket as we first thought. Once he removed the dipstick's pipe about 3 litres of oil/petrol drained out that hole. The Microtech “specialists” in Benoni flooded the engine big time when they tried to fix it. Also we saw that the rear crank seal was also leaking big time. Johann then mentioned that the clutch started slipping the last time he drove it. My dad then removed the gearbox with the marlin crawler dual transfer case set-up and on inspection we found the clutch soaked with oil and there were burn marks on the pressure plate and flywheel. The main crank seal was definitely to blame.

Luckely we tracked down an OE Toyota seal at McCarthy Toyota Princess Park and picked it up for R 200. The Spanjaard red rubber grease was R120 :shock: :shock:

After reading Hoppy’s advice about the 3RZ clutch a while back we went to ACMC (SACHS agent) in PTA West to buy a new clutch kit. The 3RZ clutch is 15mm bigger than the 4Y clutch that was installed previously. (250mm vs 235mm diameter) From the pics it can be seen that the clutch and pressure plate is definitely designed with more power in mind.
4y vs 3rz.jpg
4y vs 3rz Clutch.jpg
4y vs 3rz pressure plate.jpg
For this kit to work they had to machine an extra 0.5mm recess around the edge of the flywheel so that the pressure plate can apply more pressure on the clutch (this is according to the SACHS manual)
flywheel.jpg
Today my dad installed the clutch and refitted the gearbox. It seems like reinstalling the gearbox and flywheel was easier then taking it apart. Space is a bit of a problem, the top bell housing bolts is difficult to reach and turn. My dad says we might have to shorten the pin between the clutch fork and slave cylinder slightly as it appears the new pressure plate is pulling the fork more than before but we will only be able to test that once she is running.

Just for Eric, here are a pic of the naked engine he asked for before.
IUZ - Stripped.JPG
We also managed to find a Jetta II ICV yesterday and 4 Injector plugs of a 4AGE at scrap yards in Pta West. The Microtech “specialist: who removed the old system also broke the retaining clips on 6 of the injector plugs so we short at least two more. My dad will check out one or two scrap yards near his home tomorrow morning before coming here.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I figured one day I will fit a 3RZ engine to Bulldog, but that V8 certainly does look good... ;) :thumbup:

-F_D

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

Nee eric gaan eerder vi di V8 moet nou nie sukkel met 3RZ nie
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

OK, ek sal dan twee 3RZ's insit. Hoe's daai!? :mrgreen:

-F_D

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

NEEEEEEEE net 1 Lexus V8
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by PERS KERS »

Hi Ben, wie se flywheel en bellhousing is daai? Indien dit Fana sin was kon jy die Land Cruiser 11" clutch kit gebruik het. Groete
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Ek weet nie wie se flywheel daai is wat Blom ingesit het nie, maar ek dink die 3RZ clutch sal nice werk.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Bennie, die MSD Coils is hier uit Obama land - sal hulle vanmiddag by jou kom afgooi! :thumbup:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Ford Courier - Vw Caddy - Isuzu kb250 - Mazda 250td/i - Mercedes Benz C230 Compressor sport

Post by Rian »

4.3liter vvti. Werk met spitronics.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Dit lyk baie good, werk die vvti ook?
Behoort so 500hp te gooi?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Rian
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Ford Courier - Vw Caddy - Isuzu kb250 - Mazda 250td/i - Mercedes Benz C230 Compressor sport

Post by Rian »

Alles het reg gewerk totdat die boost te hoog was toe breek die "ring glands" is eintlik maar bly dit het gebeur nou is ek besig om hom reg te doen soos wat dit gedoen behoort te word. Die vvti het ons gestel om op 2500rpm in te skakel en die res was fine, het 1000cc injectors ook op so ek dink ek kan hom ver druk as ek die regte pistons in het.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”