Divided

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Divided

Post by kfxnando »

although my mind is made up, its not cast in stone!!
so have kept reading up on it!!

there are 3 basic Lexus V8 motors, as sure you all know!!

1. the 4.0 V8, plain original one, quad cam 32Valves
2. as above with the VVT
3. 4.3 VVT basically the same motor, just .3L bigger bore!! heads and blocks cross fits,very similar, however the differences do leave me looking away from the 4.3, like less area between cylinders and a few other along the same line

reason for looking at the 4.0L VVt is not the power, although its never too much, however more an issue of he VVt being a later motor, and should have less km, and the chances of having issues with perished seal and valved stem seals would be less, me hope!!

all comments and advice welcome!!
and there are two of us thinking along the same lines!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DOELLOOS

Re: Divided

Post by DOELLOOS »

We all joke, and scrap with each other about ECU's, engine, diesel, petrol, etc. At the end of the day, gather as much info as possible, and make up your own mind.

:thumbup:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

IMHO all 3 are excellent engines. Choose the one that's right for your application. :thumbup:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Go for the 4Y... :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Kaspaas wrote:Go for the 4Y... :twisted:
Ja! Dan pos mjy daai 350 waarmee jy besig is vir my - ek het 'n projekie in gedagte... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames again for asking stupid questions but here goes. :crazy: Can the aftermarket ECU's deal with the VVT or does the timing just get set in a pre-determined state? And I understand that the OE ECU is probably less available than budgie teeth.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

from understanding, and need to admit I dont know all of the aftermarket ECUs, believe that some of them do!!

believe that the dictator does, do plan on using the dictator, weather its done perfectly or not, not sure!! :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

kfxnando wrote:from understanding, and need to admit I dont know all of the aftermarket ECUs, believe that some of them do!!

believe that the dictator does, do plan on using the dictator, weather its done perfectly or not, not sure!! :mrgreen:
I looked on the MoTec site, their product also does all these nice things but they are probably a bit pricey. I wish I was in your shoes, I'm itching to convert but my goverment will pack up and leave if I do this as well :twisted:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

King Rat wrote:
kfxnando wrote:from understanding, and need to admit I dont know all of the aftermarket ECUs, believe that some of them do!!

I looked on the MoTec site, their product also does all these nice things but they are probably a bit pricey. I wish I was in your shoes, I'm itching to convert but my goverment will pack up and leave if I do this as well :twisted:

lucky me my government understands the "need" for the conversion, we tow a big rig, have bored her with facts for the last 6 months, and lucky me the Cressida we selling is hers!! :twisted:
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

Myself i would not touch a none vvt motor. Its just not worth it, to old and a very good chance you going to be running off to the scrap metal dealers with it.
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

Oh buy the way I really hope uv got a garage to park your truck in. The cold starts are going to be a female dog it winter with the aftermarket. Let me give you sum pointers on how to over come the problem.

No 1 : Pull your truck into the garage when you get home ( remember before sundown hey )

No 2 : Pop the hood and throw your electric blanket over the motor and make sure that the power is on, othewise you will be calling in sick the next day

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
V8 SOLID
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Eish...

That mos is why for there are a choke...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

You mean choking on the fumes ?. Must be great getting 1km per liter :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
V8 SOLID
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Demon wrote:Oh buy the way I really hope uv got a garage to park your truck in. The cold starts are going to be a female dog it winter with the aftermarket. Let me give you sum pointers on how to over come the problem.

No 1 : Pull your truck into the garage when you get home ( remember before sundown hey )

No 2 : Pop the hood and throw your electric blanket over the motor and make sure that the power is on, othewise you will be calling in sick the next day

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmm........many of our Cape Goat-Hek powered conversions suffer the same symptoms :roll:

Derrick - through in a Dicktator and go to Schalk for a tune and that Electric Blanket can go into storage dude :wink:
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

No thanks dude, im going for gold not mild steel :D:
V8 SOLID
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Coool, whatever floats your boat - what is your ECU of choice - please enlighten us DUDE :wink:
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

well it appears as if my divisions is about to end!!

believe that the 4.3L are scarce and might even come at a price!!

for the moment looks like the 4.0 NON VVt, it will be!!

thanx!! :mrgreen:
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

kfxnando wrote:although my mind is made up, its not cast in stone!!
so have kept reading up on it!!

there are 3 basic Lexus V8 motors, as sure you all know!!

1. the 4.0 V8, plain original one, quad cam 32Valves
2. as above with the VVT
3. 4.3 VVT basically the same motor, just .3L bigger bore!! heads and blocks cross fits,very similar, however the differences do leave me looking away from the 4.3, like less area between cylinders and a few other along the same line

reason for looking at the 4.0L VVt is not the power, although its never too much, however more an issue of he VVt being a later motor, and should have less km, and the chances of having issues with perished seal and valved stem seals would be less, me hope!!

all comments and advice welcome!!
and there are two of us thinking along the same lines!!
You are dead rite about the spacings from the old to the new and the conrods are sumwhat thinner . Im not saying that the 1uz was a badly made motor, its more the case that the motor has been standing around for so long and can result in a problem. Who knows maybe luck is with you on this one.
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Theres the proof but would say if you can snap that rod and send it thru your head, then good luck. Would say it would land up killing you before you it.
Attachments
IMG_0070.jpg
V8 SOLID

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”