Camry V6 engine conversion

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Camry V6 engine conversion

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi there,

I spoke to a guy today who did a Camry V6 3.0L conversion with his bakkie. Would this be an easy conversion? He claims he gets around 9 to 10 km/l up here in the Highveld. He favours the V6 above the 7mge due to the length of the V6. He says that a friend of his keeps on damaging radiators when off-roading, because the 7mge is too long.
conversion man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 911 Carreara MB CL 500 MB 500SEC MB 450 SLC CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE SFA HILEX JEEP 5.2 V8 FORD RANGER LEXUS

Re: Camry V6 engine conversion

Post by conversion man »

Ihave made bellhousings for that one before give me a ring on 0837521655
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Fana,

You are requested to move to Cape Town immediately... no no... no excuses please... just do it! :twisted:

Mr B :thumbup:
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

conversion man wrote:Ihave made bellhousings for that one before give me a ring on 0837521655
What is involved in such a conversion? Price?

Is the engine indeed more suitable than the 7mge?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The 'Camry V6' was available in 2 forms, the transverse mounted front wheel drive version and the longitudinal mounted rear wheel drive version... which was fitted to the Toyota Surf/Tacoma derivates overseas(unfair!)... why is this important... the transverse mount version is widely available in SA, as seen is the Camry, the configuration of the engine is such that the coolant pipes are not optimally positioned for longitudinal mounting, making this conversion more complicated, but not un-do-able... the rear wheel drive version can be found at some engine importers, but is pretty scarce and expensive, I managed to find one for sale at Commecial Auto in JHB, they wanted 11K for the engine, and I don't think it was complete...

More info on this engine: 3VZ-FE... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VZ_engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many guys rather go for the Prado's 5VZ-FE... 3.4L V6... I drove such a conversion at Hoppy's workshop... geesh that's alot of power... turns 33/35's effortlessly!

Mr B
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would also opt for the 5VZ .... apparently it's almost a bolt on conversion. The only negative aspects that I have heard is that it's a thirsty motor. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Mud Dog wrote:I would also opt for the 5VZ .... apparently it's almost a bolt on conversion. The only negative aspects that I have heard is that it's a thirsty motor. :think:
Naahhh.... PraDog, a 2-Ton machine with Auto Gearbox, gives me better consumption figures than either Bulldog, White Fang or Hound Dog, and is faster to boot!

(But only just!) :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

conversion man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 911 Carreara MB CL 500 MB 500SEC MB 450 SLC CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE SFA HILEX JEEP 5.2 V8 FORD RANGER LEXUS

Post by conversion man »

No conversion is ever "just a straight bolt on " thats why its called a conversion
Rudie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Citi Golf

Post by Rudie »

For the CPT guys ..theres a place in Brackenfell industrial called New Engineering. The owners name is Michael. He makes bell housings, does conversions on bakkies etc. He told my friend for a Lexus V8 conversion on his colt rodeo it would cost him 28k. He will get the engine, make the bell housing,flywheel, get the bakkie chipped and build the exhaust and branches in a month..

He showed me a lexus v8 conversion he did on a landy..it looks really decent :thumbup:
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

conversion man wrote:No conversion is ever "just a straight bolt on " thats why its called a conversion
:lol: :lol: :lol:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

conversion man wrote:No conversion is ever "just a straight bolt on " thats why its called a conversion
Of course! .... and that's why I said "apparently it's almost a bolt on conversion." :twisted: :twisted:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Which engine would you prefer if consumption also played a role?
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

for all that effort, and cost, why not just go straight for the lexus V8, as its been done over and over, and way more info available on that one!!
and more power = more fun, and not much difference in fuel consumption

and many parts for the lexus conversion, are available almost off the shelf!!

know that we are all different, and have different needs, so this is just my cheap 2c zim!!! :mrgreen: :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”