Gunta getting a engine overhaul

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Gunta getting a engine overhaul

Post by Gunta »

Well its time to overhaul my 7mge. I blew a gasket and I decided to do it myself this time. While taking off the head I discovered that the guys that replaced my head gasket left out one of the head bolts between no 5 and 6. three of the bolts in the middle were loose and the others varied. So I think they just did not know how to use a torque wrench and tightened it with a power bar. The garage owner is a nice guy but knows nothing about engines. I showed him the head and told him what I found. I think the only reason it lasted this long was because I used a cometic metal head gasket with ARP stud bolts. Anyway he has taken the head and will let me know what he is going to do with it. The valves are really loose in 5 and 6 so the whole head will have to be redone. I have taken the block into the engeneers to mic it up and then see what I need to get. It looks OK but if it needs to be rebored I am going to sleeve it and bring it back to standard as the walls are thin between the cylinders and I will only have more heating problems.

I got a quote from gemini spares and a set of pistons with rings is R1500. I should know what is happening with the block on thursday. I have sent in all the manifolds and aluminium pieces to be bead blasted, so it should all look like new when I get it back.

I want to respray the tappet covers or maybe have them powder coated but not sure what colour, so any ideas out there.

I will load some pics as I go along with the overhaul. There are a few niggles that I will fix while the engine is out and I am also going to clean the engine bay and tidy it up a bit.
Attachments
IMG_3916.jpg
IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_3902.jpg
me
me
My son all dirty
My son all dirty
IMG_3899.jpg
IMG_3895.jpg
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Gunta getting a engine overhaul

Post by Traveler »

Mark good luck with this project.

I'd consider going for a single colour (blue, red, orange, yellow, green) and then doing the hoses in the same colour as well when you powdercoat.

Know what you don't know.
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Thats is exactly what I had in mind. I need to see if I can replace the hoses with silicone hoses and match it to the tapet covers. How will powder coating hold up to pressure washing and general oil?
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

If the powdercoating is done properly it will withstand a hammer blow and not peel.

You want me to recommend an approved applier in JHB? Which area?

Insist on using a Ferro powder.

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Yes please. I know someone in Kya sands, but if you know of someone that does a good job and is not going to charge me a bar of gold that would be great.

Update on my block:
3 of the cylinders are 16 thou over, so I have no option but to rebore.
I am going 30 thou over as 20 thou pistons are more expensive and don't come with rings. The crank looks like new still, even the bearings are still good. So at least the rest of the block is fine. The sieve on the oil pickup was full of silicone (I think the guys at the garage were over zealous with the tube and put most of it on the inside)
Anyway I am getting mains and big end bearings as well and I am balancing the motor as well. So it should be much smoother.
I should get the parts this week and then I will take them to the engeneers to assemble.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Anybody know what cc my engine will be with 30 thou oversized pistons and if it will make any difference on power?
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

I'll get you the details on an applicator.

Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Mark

Sounding like you having fun :twisted: Good luck with the rebuild, I don't doubt it'll be a better job then done by the previous blokes :thumbup:

Back to more serioius stuff though, give us some pics of the lovely Lappa area you working under there :D: Definately the nicest garage roof I've seen, is the braai bhind you there aswell? :naah:

Keep the pics coming.

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Zane, it is at my dads house, my garage does not have the height to use a block and tackle. I am going to do the swirl tank as well. Thanks for the parts chum I really appreciate it.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Anyone know where I can get a Cometic head gasket? :beg: :beg:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Give Hoppy(Alan) a call, I know he organised one for Luke's 7M... 072 129 1160...
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Mr B :yahoo:
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Just and update. Engine is back with new pistons and the whole works.
I eventually bought the orriginal clutch fork fro the 7mge because the 22R is to long and requires spacers between the slave cylinder and the bell housing. Got a new radiator and did major work on the wiring which looked like a dead mossie's nest. Will load some pics soon.
Had the tappet covers painted Orange and the writing in black. It looks wicked. Got the motor in and torqued the head down to 120nm with the cometic gasket (imported it because I could not find one locally). I will re torque it on the weekend before I start putting the last bits together.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

The Head was not in a very good condition so I changed it. I think it was skimmed once to many times. Unfortunately the one I have put in now is not gas flowed, but was in mint condition. I had the spare thankfully. I also balanced the motor so it should be a lot smoother through the rev range.
I had to order new bolts that hold the gearbox to the engine, because the previous hill billies that worked on the clutch lost them and used shorter bolts with a course thread. Garages like this should not be allowed to stay in business. Its only when you do it yourself that you find the short cuts these guys take. I have fixed quite a few things now that I had expected to be done and paid good money to have done.
Anyway enough B@#tching. It is looking good now and I should have it together by the weekend if nothing else comes up. Will load some more pics soon.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Now I understand why I never head from you :twisted:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Sorry Jaco, will make a plan to come and see you as soon as I am mobile again.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Mark

Sounding good M8

But Remeber

NONE of this ever happend with out us seeing the pics :thumbup: :lol:

Keep us posted.

Zane
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

What was the milage on the engine?

It is always a good idea to replace the oil pump while the engine is open and if you can sommer replace the water pump as well while you are busy with it.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Agreed. New oil pump, radiator, engine mounts, clutch, hoses, belts and water pump fitted. The only thing I haven't changed is the block, even the paint is new. Spent about 15k so far and the labour is mine. This is a pic of the block in place.
Attachments
IMG_0234a.jpg
IMG_0233a.jpg
Last edited by Gunta on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Is there a reason why you prefer to assemble it in the vehicle?
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I assembled the block outside the engine bay, but I cant get the engine in with the head on as the space is very small. So it was easier to put the block in first and then put the head on afterwards.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Make sense
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

This was my birds nest before I cut it all out and moved my fuse box and dual battery system to the right hand side. This took me longer than I thought, but I have put in new wires and heat shrink.
Attachments
IMG_4018a.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sjoe! That does look like a mess! So much better to work in there if everything is neat and tidy! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Starting to get there now. Had to buy a M10 tap with a 1.25 thread to re tap the holes for the exhaust studs as well. Wiring pretty much done. Once the manifolds are back on I will tidy up the last few wires.
Attachments
IMG_4059a.jpg
IMG_4058a.jpg
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Must say the orange tappet covers look great!
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Mr B :yahoo:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yeah! :thumbup: ... Definitely looking a whole lot better than the 'birds nest' pic! :D: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Mark :thumbup:

Really looking good M8, can't wait to see the finished pics.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Update: CO'S were completely out. Was reading at 6.5 at idle and off the chart at high revs on the dyno. Motor is super smooth being balanced and all. Power on the wheels is 82kw up on the reef and 167nm. 90% available at 1500rpm. Will load some pics.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Gunta wrote:Update: CO'S were completely out. Was reading at 6.5 at idle and off the chart at high revs on the dyno. Motor is super smooth being balanced and all. Power on the wheels is 82kw up on the reef and 167nm. 90% available at 1500rpm. Will load some pics.
Wat is die beste op n power run?
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Here is a before and after pic as well as the dyno run. Dyno's vary, depending on who does it. My engine was making 82kw before as well with a gas flowed head. I have a standard head now, but the motor is balanced. Surprisingly the motor stayed the same. The only time it was over 95kw was on the dyno at gotech. Also bearing in mind I took out the Dictator and put in the standard ECU. I am very happy with it now.

Jaco have you had yours on the dyno yet?
Attachments
Before
Before
After
After
New AFM and ram air induction from the vent. Works like a charm.
New AFM and ram air induction from the vent. Works like a charm.
IMG_4085a.jpg
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Gunta wrote:Jaco have you had yours on the dyno yet?
Nog nie sal een van die dae n power-run gaan doen dan sal ek jou se wat maak hy
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Spartan wrote:
Gunta wrote:Jaco have you had yours on the dyno yet?
Nog nie sal een van die dae n power-run gaan doen dan sal ek jou se wat maak hy
Ek's seker hy maak wroem, wroem.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Gunta wrote:This was my birds nest before I cut it all out and moved my fuse box and dual battery system to the right hand side. This took me longer than I thought, but I have put in new wires and heat shrink.
Lyk soos 'n ontploffing in 'n spaghetti factory
Sent from my iPhone
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Lyk soos 'n ontploffing in 'n spaghetti factory[/quote]

It was bad, just short of the meat balls. :laugh2:
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I have done almost 1000km now and my fuel consumption is just on 7km/l which is way better than 5.2km/l with the Dicktator.
I am very chuffed now. :beach: :yahoo:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Mark, it is looking very good indeed. Reason to be proud.

Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Heinrich
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Mark

Good job :thumbup:

Glad you managed to come right with the OE parts.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Zane, my project that I busy with now is that swirl tank. I am just trying to find the best place to put it where it is out of harms way.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Gunta wrote:now is that swirl tank. I am just trying to find the best place to put it where it is out of harms way.
Ek het jou gese jy moet kom kuier dan wys ek jou waar moet jy dit sit :boss:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Jaco, I will make a plan and come see you. :thumbup:

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”